Shaman's Crossing: Book One of The Soldier…

Shaman's Crossing: Book One of The Soldier Son Trilogy (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Robin Hobb

2,339None2,682 (3.41)57
Member:lmh
Title:Shaman's Crossing: Book One of The Soldier Son Trilogy
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Eos (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Rating:***

Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb (2005)

Book 1 (12) coming of age (9) ebook (22) English (7) epic fantasy (16) fantasy (583) fiction (149) hardcover (22) high fantasy (10) HOBB (11) Kindle (12) magic (31) military (12) novel (17) own (10) paperback (11) read (37) read in 2007 (7) Robin Hobb (10) science fiction (8) series (21) sff (36) signed (14) Soldier Son (54) soldiers (10) speculative fiction (6) The Soldier Son Trilogy (32) to-read (41) trilogy (9) unread (22)

English (47)  German (1)  All languages (48)
I've loved her later books but this one didn't cut it with me. I found myself skipping pages until I finally just quit. ( )
  stormy50 | Feb 19, 2014 |
Inside this trilogy is a really good book trying to get out. The father son relationship, the training of soldiers, the conflicting ways of life, the fairness of her writing, it was good but it could have been great.

I don't think one of her ideas could work at all, first sons take their fathers job/role and second sons are always soldiers, given a society with big families I think that there would be to many soldiers, not sure. ( )
  Janientrelac | Oct 17, 2013 |
This is my first Robin Hobb book. I can't say I loved it, but I can't say that I hated it, either. I stayed up late to finish it, though I can't really put my finger on why. Obviously, something was keeping me engaged. It's unusual for me not to have strong opinions about a book! I liked Nevare, as I thought he was both complex and naive at the same time, which is hard for a writer to pull off, but at the same time, I didn't feel fully invested in his adventures or success. I've picked up Forest Mage (Book 2 in the trilogy), though. ( )
  lucy3107 | Sep 23, 2013 |
If I'd read this more slowly, it might have got three stars, but I read it all in a day, and got quite caught up in it. I don't think it has the flair of Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. Nevare seems to me a less fully-formed main character than Fitz. I'm hoping he'll build up more in the later books. A good thing about Hobb's writing is that she isn't afraid to make her characters pay. Just like Fitz, Nevare has to work for things.

It's an interesting new world, too. Hobb's world building is always very good, and she has a pretty firm grasp on how societies change and break down, and rebuild. I'll be interested to see where all that goes, just on its own. I'm hoping for lots more of it, building up throughout the trilogy, as happened with the Realm of the Elderlings books.

I'm also very intrigued by the magic Nevare becomes a part of. We'll see, later in the trilogy, whether it's as good a concept as the Wit and the Skill, but I suspect it'll be interesting.

The trouble is with "infodumps", I think. There are quite long sections of pure background information. I think that happened in Farseers and the Tawny Man, but was most noticeable in Liveships and here. The conversational tone of the books due to the first person narration helps, but it still sticks out at me.

I think this trilogy is shaping up to be quite solid, interesting fantasy. There was a real sense of excitement later in the book, though the early chapters dragged rather. I guess the next two books will cement whether this trilogy is going to be brilliant, like Farseers, or just good. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This book was good enough that I will read the next book in the trilogy, but if that one doesn't improve quickly, I will probably drop the whole thing. It was a very dense story. I'm a fast reader and there was so much mundane detail to wade through that I read this one off and on over a week and a half. The protagonist at this point is coming across as very weak and he's always making excuses for his actions. I hope that he will grow in the next two books. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Caffeine and Sugar

my companions through many a
long night of writing
I remember well the first time I saw the magic of the Plainspeople.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060758287, Mass Market Paperback)

Nevare Burvelle was destined from birth to be a soldier. The second son of a newly anointed nobleman, he must endure the rigors of military training at the elite King's Cavella Academy—and survive the hatred, cruelty, and derision of his aristocratic classmates—before joining the King of Gernia's brutal campaign of territorial expansion. The life chosen for him will be fraught with hardship, for he must ultimately face a forest-dwelling folk who will not submit easily to a king's tyranny. And they possess an ancient magic their would-be conquerors have long discounted—a powerful sorcery that threatens to claim Nevare Burvelle's soul and devastate his world once the Dark Evening brings the carnival to Old Thares.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:37 -0400)

Serving his king during a time of realm expansion, nobleman's son Nevare Burvelle finds his promising career compromised by unexpected prejudice at the King's Cavalry Academy and the discovery that he is being rendered a pawn by the magical plains folk.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible