Shaman's Crossing: Book One of The Soldier…

Shaman's Crossing: Book One of The Soldier Son Trilogy (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Robin Hobb

Member:lmh
Title:Shaman's Crossing: Book One of The Soldier Son Trilogy
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Eos (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Rating:***

Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb (2005)

English (55)  German (1)  French (1)  All (57)
I got up through disc 7 on this one (out of 21) before I gave up. There were definitely some interesting parts and the writing was nice, but it was just soooooo slow. 80% of it just seemed like "day in the life of a young boy growing up in a society that he respects now but will totally hate when he finally grows up". It almost seemed like an experiment where the author was thinking what if I just wrote the main character's entire childhood down so that the reader would become really invested in him and then story would be even better. It being in 1st person would get the reader even closer.

If I was 11 I would be totally into this, but as an adult with a life full of responsibilities (including my own 11-year-old) I just don't have time for something this slow. ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 28, 2016 |
I love Hobb's Farseer and Tawney Man series. LOVE. This book was entirely different, and not really in a good way. The main reason was Navare. He is nothing like Fitz. I like Fitz... Bad things happen to him, he deals with them and moves on. This Navare kid was almost like a sponge. I never got a feel for who he actually was. Things happened all around him, but nothing really seemed to affect him. He didn't seem to be an actual player in the story of his life. Total cardboard. So yeah, will not be reading the rest of this series. I got to within 100 pages of the ending of this book before I decided it wasn't worth it to do more than skim the rest. Not regretful of that decision. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
A pretty good book overall, but does drag at times. I found the main characters well drawn and interesting. I did find I enjoyed following the lead character Nevar and his efforts through his life at home and the academy far more interesting than his dream/reality conflict with the old spek and her version of him. When those moments occured I almost groaned and hoped they would end swiftly. For this reason I find that I have little interest in reading the rest of the trilogy. I will probably finish it at some point. ( )
  TheBishop34 | May 31, 2016 |
Lots of description of essentially mundane military academy life interspersed with a growing spiritual/magical journey for the first-person protagonist. This is my first book by Hobb, and I understand from other reviews it is not considered her best. I judge it to certainly well-written and interesting but very slow to develop its plot (if it even has one!). On the other hand, by seeping the reader so slowly in this alternate world it is possible to get quite involved. ( )
  xlsg | Apr 16, 2016 |
I kept going back and forth trying to decide if I liked this or not and finally decided that I did. It's different than any of Hobb's other books in that it seems less fantasy and more real (in much the same way that George R.R. Martin's books seem more like a medieval tale than fantasy). There were some odd moments in the book that left me cold but I kept reading and I really enjoyed the final fourth of the book. It ended with a much better direction than it had been going in so I'm looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Caffeine and Sugar

my companions through many a
long night of writing

To Caffeine and Sugar, my companions through many a long night of writing.
Acknowledgement

The author would like to acknowledge and thank David Killingsworth for providning information and insight on several weighty matters. It was greatly appreciated.
I remember well the first time I saw the magic of the Plainspeople.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060758287, Mass Market Paperback)

Nevare Burvelle was destined from birth to be a soldier. The second son of a newly anointed nobleman, he must endure the rigors of military training at the elite King's Cavella Academy—and survive the hatred, cruelty, and derision of his aristocratic classmates—before joining the King of Gernia's brutal campaign of territorial expansion. The life chosen for him will be fraught with hardship, for he must ultimately face a forest-dwelling folk who will not submit easily to a king's tyranny. And they possess an ancient magic their would-be conquerors have long discounted—a powerful sorcery that threatens to claim Nevare Burvelle's soul and devastate his world once the Dark Evening brings the carnival to Old Thares.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

Serving his king during a time of realm expansion, nobleman's son Nevare Burvelle finds his promising career compromised by unexpected prejudice at the King's Cavalry Academy and the discovery that he is being rendered a pawn by the magical plains folk.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,826,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible