The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga by…

The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga (edition 2005)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Member:pelo.guy
Title:The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 800 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd

Recently added byprivate library, micah.andersen, kwbridge, charmedhour, tollelege9, kraye, Book-Lish, KRaySaulis, RonB

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
The sheer magnitude of this project is enough to earn this author at least three stars to begin with. This book spans generations of families, decades of history and hours of Irish myths and folklore. This book is well-researched and well-developed. My only complaint is the sentence structure was weak in a few places, but that is minor when compared to the novel itself! ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I listened this one on CD and was confused by the time jumps, little did I know that it was the "Abridged" version. UGH!!! no wonder!

It was worth a second try with the Unabridged version. The only way to go! ( )
  Ginerbia | Feb 14, 2014 |
I picked up this book just before heading out on a vacation to Ireland. This book was so good that the trip itself would not have been as fulfilling without it. Everytime a character went to a specific area, our trip took us there the very next day. I was able to have a background for almost every tour we took and every area we visited. Although many of the characters were completely fictional, their interactions with historical events and historical characters allowed me to see what it may have been like to live during each time period. ( )
  qkennedy | Jul 28, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book, which followed Rutherfurds tried and trusted method of taking the story right to the beginnings of time and working forward. I love the way he follows the fortunes of 5 or 6 families and at the same time letting us know the history of Dublin. I am not so keen on the pages of political history that accompanies the story but I suppose with a 'history' of you have to have some!
All in all a very good book, leaving you wanting to read the sequal (Ireland Awakening). ( )
  Glorybe1 | Jun 29, 2013 |
The Princes of Ireland follows the story of several Irish families, from the year 430 to 1538. Their stories are set against the larger backdrop of important battles and events in the history of Ireland.

This really felt like three novels in one. The transitions between generations were very abrupt. I liked the first story, but the other two were just okay. They could have been part of a book entitled, A History of the English in Dublin. It was interesting to see what Kings Henry II and Henry VIII got up to in Ireland, but I really wanted to know what was going on in Ireland itself.

The female characters were terrible. They were almost all willful to the point of stupidity, impetuous, blind to anything they didn't want to see, and driven by some insane need for revenge.

One other thing that bothers me in all books that skip around in time: if the author isn't going to give me some sort of obvious clue like, "Forty years later, Henry VIII did this...", I really wish that he or she would put dates at the beginning and end of the chapters. I find myself flipping back and forth a lot, because after 60 pages, I've forgotten what year I was in last.

This was good enough, I just expected something different. If you want to know a little about Ireland as it changed from a druidic religion to Catholicism, and a lot about the way the English influenced events in Dublin, go ahead and read this. Just don't expect a lot of independent Irish history. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |

From the internationally bestselling author of London and Sarum -- a magnificent epic about love and war, family life and political intrigue in Ireland over the course of seventeen centuries. Like the novels of James Michener, The Princes of Ireland brilliantly interweaves engrossing fiction and well-researched fact to capture the essence of a place.

Edward Rutherfurd has introduced millions of readers to the human dramas that are the lifeblood of history. From his first bestseller, Sarum, to the #1 bestseller London, he has captivated audiences with gripping narratives that follow the fortunes of several fictional families down through the ages. The Princes of Ireland, a sweeping panorama steeped in the tragedy and glory that is Ireland, epitomizes the power and richness of Rutherfurd’s storytelling magic.

The saga begins in pre-Christian Ireland with a clever refashioning of the legend of Cuchulainn, and culminates in the dramatic founding of the Free Irish State in 1922. Through the interlocking stories of a wonderfully imagined cast of characters -- monks and noblemen, soldiers and rebels, craftswomen and writers -- Rutherfurd vividly conveys the personal passions and shared dreams that shaped the character of the country. He takes readers inside all the major events in Irish history: the reign of the fierce and mighty kings of Tara; the mission of Saint Patrick; the Viking invasion and the founding of Dublin; the trickery of Henry II, which gave England its foothold on the island in 1167; the plantations of the Tudors and the savagery of Cromwell; the flight of the “Wild Geese”; the failed rebellion of 1798; the Great Famine and the Easter Rebellion. With Rutherfurd’s well-crafted storytelling, readers witness the rise of the Fenians in the late nineteenth century, the splendours of the Irish cultural renaissance, and the bloody battles for Irish independence, as though experiencing their momentous impact firsthand.

Tens of millions of North Americans claim Irish descent. Generations of people have been enchanted by Irish literature, and visitors flock to Dublin and its environs year after year. The Princes of Ireland will appeal to all of them -- and to anyone who relishes epic entertainment spun by a master.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:48 -0400)

A sweeping panorama steeped in the tragedy and glory that is Ireland, epitomizes the power and richness of Rutherford's storytelling magic. The saga begins in tribal, pre-Christian Ireland during the reign of the fierce and mighty High kings at Tara, with the fate of two lovers, the princely Conall and the ravishing Deirdre, whose travails cleverly echo the ancient Celtic legend of Cuchulainn.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,664,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible