The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga by…

The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Member:pelo.guy
Title:The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 800 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd (2004)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (32)
4 stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Princes of Ireland – Edward Rutherfurd
4 star

This book is the first in Rutherfurd’s two-part Dublin Saga. Beginning with pre-Christian Ireland the books follows a seemingly endless cast of characters through the centuries of change. Following the generational history of several fictional families, Rutherfurd portrays major events in Irish history from Viking invasions to the deceptions of Henry II. Rutherfurd’s style is often compared to James Michener. I found many similarities between them, and I was also reminded of Follett’s Pillars of the Earth. Rutherfurd’s characters are precisely placed on a historical playing board to insure their interaction with major events. Each historical section of the book provided a complete and eventful story the held my interest throughout. It was easy to listen to this book
as it is broken into manageable sections for each historical period. However, I found that I wanted the print edition to read for the maps and family tree diagrams the helped to tie the inter-related stories together.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I have read most of Edward Rutherfurd's novels and, on the whole, quite like his work. Unfortunately, one has to be the least favourite and this one wins the prize. I hate to use this word when describing books but it was 'tedious'. The Princes of Ireland follows the author's tried and true formula of taking a location and following it's growth and change throughout many centuries - in this case the city of Dublin, Ireland from the time of the Druids to the 1500's. Generally the story is told through the eyes and actions of a number of families throughout the generations.

Princes of Ireland felt like one endless description of minor, sometimes petty, battles from beginning to end. The people were never fleshed out enough for me to really care about them and, as a result this book never really captured my attention. I did stick it out to the end though - all 1280 pages of it because I have enjoyed so many other books by this author.

If you have never read anything by Edward Rutherfurd, I wouldn't want to spoil that experience for you - try his excellent 'Sarum' or 'London' instead. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Apr 25, 2016 |
3.5 stars

I can't say I loved this book and given that the author routinely gets praised to the heavens I was somewhat disappointed. As a novel, I thought this was rather patchy; some parts held my interest, others didn't. There were few characters I was really interested in and I had a particular problem with the women in this book. The best aspect of the book is of course the history and the amount of research that has gone into it. It's packed with historical detail, from great events to small details of everyday life, beautifully presented in a very readable manner. Of course, occasionally the author seems to slip from novel into textbook mode, but personally I didn't mind that. Top marks for historical content, but in terms of entertainment value I'm less enthusiastic. Liked it, but didn't love it. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
I have read several of Rutherfurd's books and enjoyed this the least. That does not mean it is not a good book - it just means I don't think it is as good as some others. If you don't have knowledge of Ireland - this is a good read for good basic history. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Dec 13, 2015 |

From the internationally bestselling author of London and Sarum -- a magnificent epic about love and war, family life and political intrigue in Ireland over the course of seventeen centuries. Like the novels of James Michener, The Princes of Ireland brilliantly interweaves engrossing fiction and well-researched fact to capture the essence of a place.

Edward Rutherfurd has introduced millions of readers to the human dramas that are the lifeblood of history. From his first bestseller, Sarum, to the #1 bestseller London, he has captivated audiences with gripping narratives that follow the fortunes of several fictional families down through the ages. The Princes of Ireland, a sweeping panorama steeped in the tragedy and glory that is Ireland, epitomizes the power and richness of Rutherfurd’s storytelling magic.

The saga begins in pre-Christian Ireland with a clever refashioning of the legend of Cuchulainn, and culminates in the dramatic founding of the Free Irish State in 1922. Through the interlocking stories of a wonderfully imagined cast of characters -- monks and noblemen, soldiers and rebels, craftswomen and writers -- Rutherfurd vividly conveys the personal passions and shared dreams that shaped the character of the country. He takes readers inside all the major events in Irish history: the reign of the fierce and mighty kings of Tara; the mission of Saint Patrick; the Viking invasion and the founding of Dublin; the trickery of Henry II, which gave England its foothold on the island in 1167; the plantations of the Tudors and the savagery of Cromwell; the flight of the “Wild Geese”; the failed rebellion of 1798; the Great Famine and the Easter Rebellion. With Rutherfurd’s well-crafted storytelling, readers witness the rise of the Fenians in the late nineteenth century, the splendours of the Irish cultural renaissance, and the bloody battles for Irish independence, as though experiencing their momentous impact firsthand.

Tens of millions of North Americans claim Irish descent. Generations of people have been enchanted by Irish literature, and visitors flock to Dublin and its environs year after year. The Princes of Ireland will appeal to all of them -- and to anyone who relishes epic entertainment spun by a master.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:56 -0400)

A sweeping panorama steeped in the tragedy and glory that is Ireland, epitomizes the power and richness of Rutherford's storytelling magic. The saga begins in tribal, pre-Christian Ireland during the reign of the fierce and mighty High kings at Tara, with the fate of two lovers, the princely Conall and the ravishing Deirdre, whose travails cleverly echo the ancient Celtic legend of Cuchulainn.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,776,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible