Light Boxes: A Novel by Shane Jones

Light Boxes: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Shane Jones

Member:TheTwoDs
Title:Light Boxes: A Novel
Authors:Shane Jones
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Novel

Light Boxes by Shane Jones (2009)

The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia (Torikton)
    Tree of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Both are short, experimental, nearly poetic stories of social deterioration.
    The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson (comradeinarms)

English (21)  Italian (2)  All languages (23)
This book was not my cup of tea. I'm all for a little fantasy and allegory but this book is one giant dream-like story FILLED to the brim with symbolism and metaphor. Maybe I just didn't fully understand what the Author was trying to say but I'm not quite sure if I want to. I couldn't even follow the characters or even get a sense of attachment to the story at all. The Author clearly knows how to write but I can't appreciate a story that gives nothing. Maybe this is why I'm not a poetry fan. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Poetic, prescient, almost mythic in its simplicity. Unlike any book I've ever read: Jones is a genius for mood, allegory, poetic prose, and dissident voices. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book, but after reading more than half of it I have zero interest and will consider it DNF. I love fables, I love metaphor, and I don't mind experimental writing so I fully anticipated liking Light Boxes. Instead, the various elements didn't pull together for me and the book seemed to be in draft mode instead of final copy. See my full review here http://www.territalksbooks.com/2014/02/light-boxes-by-shane-jones-and-why-i.html ( )
  TerriB | Feb 26, 2014 |
Yeah I read it again already. Even better in the real book. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February. - Joseph Wood Kutch, The Twelve Seasons
For Melanie
We sat on the hill. We watched the flames inside the balloons heat the fabric to neon colors. The children played Prediction.

A poignant and fantastical first novel by a timeless new literary voice.

With all the elements of a classic fable, vivid descriptions, and a wholly unique style, this idiosyncratic debut introduces a new and exciting voice to readers of such authors as George Saunders, Kurt Vonnegut, and Yann Martel.

In Light Boxes, the inhabitants of one closely-knit town are experiencing perpetual February. It turns out that a god-like spirit who lives in the sky, named February, is punishing the town for flying, and bans flight of all kind, including hot air balloons and even children's kites. It's February who makes the sun nothing but a faint memory, who blankets the ground with snow, who freezes the rivers and the lakes. As endless February continues, children go missing and more and more adults become nearly catatonic with depression. But others find the strength to fight back, waging war on February.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:51 -0400)

After a god-like spirit punishes a town for flying by making it perpetually live out its days in the month of February, children go missing and adults fall into deep depression, but a small contingent of townsfolk fight back, waging war on February.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,319,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible