Light Boxes: A Novel by Shane Jones

Light Boxes: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Shane Jones

262None43,225 (3.56)16
Member:TheTwoDs
Title:Light Boxes: A Novel
Authors:Shane Jones
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Novel

Light Boxes by Shane Jones (2009)

English (19)  Italian (2)  All languages (21)
I wanted to like this book, but after reading more than half of it I have zero interest and will consider it DNF. I love fables, I love metaphor, and I don't mind experimental writing so I fully anticipated liking Light Boxes. Instead, the various elements didn't pull together for me and the book seemed to be in draft mode instead of final copy. See my full review here http://www.territalksbooks.com/2014/02/light-boxes-by-shane-jones-and-why-i.html ( )
  TerriB | Feb 26, 2014 |
Yeah I read it again already. Even better in the real book. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
Beautiful writing, unique plot, engrossing ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
I loathe winter. The gray days. The snow. The cold. Mostly, I hate being cold. My whole body tenses up the minute I step out of the house. There's no relief until I can return to the warmth of the indoors and patiently wait for the feeling to return to my extremities. I bide my time and eagerly await the coming of spring. But what if spring never came? What if we were left with the horror of perpetual February? This is what the inhabits of the unnamed town in the book are facing. Soon, the community has to deal with not only the harsh winter weather, but the banishment of flight and an increasing number of missing children.

It's an odd little book. Reminded me a bit of the movie Stranger Than Fiction. The story is told from a multitude of perspectives and the author plays around with the font here and there. A fast read. Maybe I zipped through this too quickly? I found it difficult to connect with the characters. I felt too far removed from the events that occurred in the novel. Pure coincidence that I read this book about the destructive force of February in the month of February. I really wanted to like this one but it fell flat for me. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
What a quirky and strange little book. I absolutely loved everything about it and this is despite the oddly sad little feeling I felt as I made my way through the story. It's the kind of book that makes you tap into the maudlin February feelings as well as taking a flight of imagination. A great reading experience. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February. - Joseph Wood Kutch, The Twelve Seasons
For Melanie
We sat on the hill. We watched the flames inside the balloons heat the fabric to neon colors. The children played Prediction.

A poignant and fantastical first novel by a timeless new literary voice.

With all the elements of a classic fable, vivid descriptions, and a wholly unique style, this idiosyncratic debut introduces a new and exciting voice to readers of such authors as George Saunders, Kurt Vonnegut, and Yann Martel.

In Light Boxes, the inhabitants of one closely-knit town are experiencing perpetual February. It turns out that a god-like spirit who lives in the sky, named February, is punishing the town for flying, and bans flight of all kind, including hot air balloons and even children's kites. It's February who makes the sun nothing but a faint memory, who blankets the ground with snow, who freezes the rivers and the lakes. As endless February continues, children go missing and more and more adults become nearly catatonic with depression. But others find the strength to fight back, waging war on February.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:51 -0400)

After a god-like spirit punishes a town for flying by making it perpetually live out its days in the month of February, children go missing and adults fall into deep depression, but a small contingent of townsfolk fight back, waging war on February.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible