Wizards at War (Young Wizards 8) by Diane…

Wizards at War (Young Wizards 8) (edition 2005)

by Diane Duane

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Wizards at War (Young Wizards 8)
Authors:Diane Duane
Info:
Collections:Your library, Ether, Series, To read
Tags:verify, urban fantasy, magic, ya, travel, friends, MerryMary, series, Young Wizards, unread

Wizards at War by Diane Duane

Wow, this book was intense.

Remember how I complained that in the seventh book of The Young Wizard series the plot took forever to take off? The eighth book pulls no punches, and the tension’s there from the very first chapter.

You definitely need to have read the prior books in the series (start with So You Want to Be a Wizard) before picking up Wizards at War, which builds upon the prior books, reintroduces characters, and starts almost immediately where the last book left off.

In the last book, Tom and Carl weren’t strangely weren’t in contact. Now we find out why. The universe is ending. Entropy has suddenly speed up with the appearance of ominous dark matter that is pushing apart galaxies. Wizardry is failing, and soon people will cease to care about all but material things. The senior wizards will lose their powers first, along with any memories of wizardry every existing. It’s up to the young wizards to save the universe.

“Suddenly Nita began to understand the feeling she’d read about in books, but never really understood: the feeling that it was genuinely all over, that nothing further could be done… except to go out as well as you could.”

Kit and Nita have just gotten back from the events of the prior book, and the three alien house guests are still present. Kit, Nita, Dairine, Filif, Sker’ret, and Roshaun are joined by Ronan, from A Wizard Abroad, in a trek across galaxies to try and get to the heart of the problem. Their quest will take them to a world darker than any seen before, one that belongs completely to the Lone Power.

“So there’s still hope?”
“Always hope,” said the mirror-scaled koi. “But you can’t just sit there and stare at it. You have to do something with it.”

Everything about this book was fantastic. All the character building scenes of the previous books paid off here when beloved and familiar characters suddenly face something they’ve never seen the likes of. The book was incredibly paced, the moments of humor were a wonderful release, the aforementioned characters were great, and there so many scenes that were genuinely moving. There was particularly something that happened near the end with one of my favorite characters that really gets me.

On the subject of favorite characters, Wizards at War has given me an incredible love for Carmela Rodriguez. She’s been very good in the last few books, but here she moves from endearing to truly awesome.

I really, really loved Wizards at War. If you’re a fan of the series, I think you’ll likely to love it as much as I do. If you haven’t read any of the Young Wizards books, why not? It’s one of the best YA fantasy series out there, and if you’re at all a fan of the genre you should be giving it a look.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jan 29, 2016 |
Perhaps the best since book one and emotional punch like book 4. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 29, 2015 |
The events of this installment immediately follow what happened in the previous book, and Diarine's extra guests join Kit and Nita and company to try to save the universe as they know it. As adult wizards begin to loose their powers, the fate of the universe is placed in the hands of the young and Nita, Dita, and their friends embark on intergalactic adventures as they attempt to trace the problem affecting wizardry before its too late. I didn't enjoy this installment as much as previous ones, although I did enjoy seeing Roshaun's home world and the character evolution of Ponch. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 3, 2014 |
After the unexpected events of Wizard's Holiday, Nita and Kit are back home, making friends with the three visiting aliens who are staying with Nita's family and getting ready to go back to school. Then Tom and Carl show up to say that the universe is ending and it's up to them to save it...

While there is as much wizardry and wackiness as ever, the character relationships really drive this story. The complex interactions between Dairine and Roshaun, Nita and Ronan, Kit and Carmela, Ponch and Kit, and so on are where the most interesting parts of the book take place. And as with many of Duane's books, the non-human characters are some of the most fascinating voices in the story.

I definitely recommend this book, but I'm really recommending the series as a whole, since to understand it you need to start at the beginning with So You Want To Be A Wizard. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 15, 2012 |
You may ask, does this book really deserve four stars? And I will answer, no, it really doesn't. There are the usual issues with Duane's conception of the wizarding world never being quite the same twice; there's the usual question of just how many times one can defeat the Lone Power before it loses all sense of epic proportion; there's the matter of our heroes conveniently being the one team present at the fulcrum of universal events; there's the question of why Nita's dad and her school counselor can retain their knowledge of the wizarding world when it's faded from the memories of full-fledged senior wizards; there's the unwillingness to sacrifice a single major character for good; and oh sweet merciful heavens, I don't even want to get into what the author does with Ponch.

So, no. I will freely grant that this series jumped the shark shortly after the book with the shark. (Funny how that works out.)

So why four stars? Mostly it's because I've been reading about these characters for a very long time now, and I'm perhaps overly fond of them. Even so, I think I'd have bumped this one down to a slightly generous three... if not for Kit's sister. I love Carmela Rodriguez.

But if she turns out to have any secret powers in a future book -- be they wizardly or godlike -- I shall be very, very cross. ( )
  Shmuel510 | Jul 23, 2011 |

Diane Duaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the bright light of an early spring morning, a teenage girl in faded blue jeans and a cropped white T-shirt stood in her downstairs bathroom, brushing her teeth and examining herself with a critical eye.
(as the Pullulus invades) Matters of the heart and spirit will be valued less and less. Shortly only physical things will seem real to people. And when that happens – because most humans will still remember that, once, the heart and the spirit did matter – they’d get scared and angry. Eventually anger and violence will be the only things that seem to work the way they used to, the only things left that make people feel alive.
Beware! said the peridexis’s voice in her head. Don’t let Its shadowy little truth overwhelm the greater one.
(concerning the inevitability of entropy) You’d be surprised, Logo said. Everywhere it can, the universe breaks the rule, sometimes in the strangest ways. That’s what wizardry’s about, isn’t it? Finding the unexpected way to foil the force that invented Death. Doing what Life itself does every chance it can….the possibilities are endless.
“Oh, go on, delude yourself,” said the Lone One, Its arms folded. “So your wonderful Hesper is here after all. Do you think that matters so far above your level of existence are going to have any effect on your pitiful lives? You won’t live to see any difference her appearance will make. The worlds will seem to be doing the same old thing for millennia to come. And as for your ‘victory,’ you and your universe will be cleaning up its consequences for centuries to come.” It sounded triumphant. Yet behind the triumph, Nita could clearly feel the rage: None of this should have happened!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152052232, Mass Market Paperback)

Nita and Kit return from their wizardly holiday, looking forward to getting back to their everyday routine. But there's trouble brewing. A strange darkness of the mind and heart is about to befall the older wizards of the world, stealing away their power. Soon, the young wizards of Earth and many other planets find themselves forced to defend wizards and nonwizards alike against an invasion of a kind they've never imagined.
But mere defense won't be enough to combat the evil afoot. With their alien teammates, Nita, Kit, and Dairine must race to search worlds known and unknown for the secret weapon the Powers That Be have promised them--before the minions of the sinister Lone Power find it first. And then, for the first time in millenia, the wizards must go to war. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Nita and Kit rejoin forces when a strange darkness of the mind overcomes the older wizards, stealing away their power, and forcing the younger wizards to go to war to save the world. .

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

51 wanted1 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,868,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible