Wizards at War (Young Wizards 8) by Diane…

Wizards at War (Young Wizards 8) (edition 2005)

by Diane Duane

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Wizards at War (Young Wizards 8)
Authors:Diane Duane
Info:
Collections:Your library, Ether, Series, To read
Tags:verify, urban fantasy, magic, ya, travel, friends, MerryMary, series, Young Wizards, unread

Wizards at War by Diane Duane

The events of this installment immediately follow what happened in the previous book, and Diarine's extra guests join Kit and Nita and company to try to save the universe as they know it. As adult wizards begin to loose their powers, the fate of the universe is placed in the hands of the young and Nita, Dita, and their friends embark on intergalactic adventures as they attempt to trace the problem affecting wizardry before its too late. I didn't enjoy this installment as much as previous ones, although I did enjoy seeing Roshaun's home world and the character evolution of Ponch. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 3, 2014 |
After the unexpected events of Wizard's Holiday, Nita and Kit are back home, making friends with the three visiting aliens who are staying with Nita's family and getting ready to go back to school. Then Tom and Carl show up to say that the universe is ending and it's up to them to save it...

While there is as much wizardry and wackiness as ever, the character relationships really drive this story. The complex interactions between Dairine and Roshaun, Nita and Ronan, Kit and Carmela, Ponch and Kit, and so on are where the most interesting parts of the book take place. And as with many of Duane's books, the non-human characters are some of the most fascinating voices in the story.

I definitely recommend this book, but I'm really recommending the series as a whole, since to understand it you need to start at the beginning with So You Want To Be A Wizard. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 15, 2012 |
You may ask, does this book really deserve four stars? And I will answer, no, it really doesn't. There are the usual issues with Duane's conception of the wizarding world never being quite the same twice; there's the usual question of just how many times one can defeat the Lone Power before it loses all sense of epic proportion; there's the matter of our heroes conveniently being the one team present at the fulcrum of universal events; there's the question of why Nita's dad and her school counselor can retain their knowledge of the wizarding world when it's faded from the memories of full-fledged senior wizards; there's the unwillingness to sacrifice a single major character for good; and oh sweet merciful heavens, I don't even want to get into what the author does with Ponch.

So, no. I will freely grant that this series jumped the shark shortly after the book with the shark. (Funny how that works out.)

So why four stars? Mostly it's because I've been reading about these characters for a very long time now, and I'm perhaps overly fond of them. Even so, I think I'd have bumped this one down to a slightly generous three... if not for Kit's sister. I love Carmela Rodriguez.

But if she turns out to have any secret powers in a future book -- be they wizardly or godlike -- I shall be very, very cross. ( )
  Shmuel510 | Jul 23, 2011 |
Number 8 in the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. Nita and Kit have to save the universe. Again.

If you haven't read the rest of the series, DO NOT start here. You will be so lost. And it has major spoilers for the previous books too. It does revisit a scene from High Wizardry, so that was fun, and it links closely with the previous book, Wizard's Holiday.

So without spoiling it in case you want to read the series and haven't yet, let me say that the universe is in a rather odd crisis. Dark matter seems to be spreading throughout and it's beginning to affect Life on all levels. And the darkness is also affecting the wizards. Soon, all Seniors will lose their magic, and it will all depend on the kids.

Luckily, the visiting wizards from Wizard's Holiday haven't gone home yet, and they stay to help in the fight against the Lone One.

This one was full of action and some great twists. Lots of character develpment in this one, and some major losses as well. I loved Carmela in this one - she is so funny. Some definite romantic tension as well, but I won't say more!

If you enjoy YA fantasy, this series is really worth a try. It is very original and well written. The first one is So You Want to be a Wizard. ( )
  cmbohn | Jul 21, 2009 |
I've been trying to finish this book since shortly after I bought it, a year and a half ago. Which is unusual for me, since I usually devour Duane's book on sight.

I think the problem is that, for most of WaW, joy is missing. And joy is something that DD in general - and YW in particular - does very well. The joy of discovery, of friendship, and learning, and fighting and forgiving and growing and living -- and there's precious little of that in most of WaW.

Mind you, the fact that joy has gone missing is a plot point, so I suppose it can be called a sign of craft - but goshdarnit, I read these books *for* the joy. Perhaps that's why it's so satisfying that the characters who make it all go right in the end are the ones who refuse to say no to joy. ( )
  melannen | Mar 17, 2008 |

Diane Duaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the bright light of an early spring morning, a teenage girl in faded blue jeans and a cropped white T-shirt stood in her downstairs bathroom, brushing her teeth and examining herself with a critical eye.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152052232, Mass Market Paperback)

Nita and Kit return from their wizardly holiday, looking forward to getting back to their everyday routine. But there's trouble brewing. A strange darkness of the mind and heart is about to befall the older wizards of the world, stealing away their power. Soon, the young wizards of Earth and many other planets find themselves forced to defend wizards and nonwizards alike against an invasion of a kind they've never imagined.
But mere defense won't be enough to combat the evil afoot. With their alien teammates, Nita, Kit, and Dairine must race to search worlds known and unknown for the secret weapon the Powers That Be have promised them--before the minions of the sinister Lone Power find it first. And then, for the first time in millenia, the wizards must go to war. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

Nita and Kit rejoin forces when a strange darkness of the mind overcomes the older wizards, stealing away their power, and forcing the younger wizards to go to war to save the world. .

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,138,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible