Missing Mark by Julie Kramer

Missing Mark

by Julie Kramer

Second in series featuring Riley Spartz, an investigative reporter for a tv station in Minneapolis. Story a bit lame but kept my interest. Author spends a lot of time explaining about how a newsroom works . . . boring. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 7, 2014 |
I didn't like this one as well as the first one, but it is still a first rate mystery. Riley gets caught up in about three big stories, the missing bridegroom, the missing big mouth bass, and drug dealing in her neighborhood.

The main story is the bridegroom and the reason he disappeared. The bass and the drugs are secondary stories but keep it more real. Very few journalists are working on only one story at a time!

I learned a lot about face-blindness, which was interesting but very hard to believe. It is a true disorder.

I will keep reading this series, Kramer has a way with telling a tale that keeps you reading. ( )
  bookswoman | Jul 26, 2013 |
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Stalking Susan, so I had high hopes for this one. Thankfully, it delivered! Riley Spartz is nothing if not persistent. Sweeps are coming up again, and she’s under pressure, as usual. TV news is changing, and the chances of her ending up with a story as big as the last one are low. When the ad for a never worn wedding dress shows up in the paper, she hopes she can find a story there. Along the way we get to visit with some of our favorite characters from the first book.

I think Kramer takes this story in some interesting directions. At least one aspect of it was totally unexpected, and something I’ve never seen anywhere else. This surprises me, because it was a very interesting medical condition. Also, we see Riley still struggling with her personal life as she continues to recover from the death of her husband. She doesn’t always make the best decisions, but she does get her story.

This is a series I continue to enjoy! ( )
  miyurose | Oct 12, 2011 |
I got tired of bloody murders and heartless killers and I found the perfect antidote in Julie Kramer. Missing Mark is the story of a journalist interested in the story of a bride abandoned by the groom. The groom has not used is credit card or social since the wedding day. This book is like reading champagne. It is humorous in a very discrete way (now you see it, now you don't), well informed on a variety of subjects and I love that in a mystery book. We are introduced to bass fishing, interesting places in Minneapolis, a rare plant, the profits of grocery stores, all kinds of delightful tidbits that do not slow down the action.
As a bonus, the author appears to be a nice person: you would invite Julie Kramer at your home, together with Alexander McCall Smith or Colin Cotterill. Many good authors I would not like to meet at all: I got a long list of people I read because I like their books but I would not dream of meeting them: it is like good actors: some are great people, some are despicable. ( )
  claude_lambert | Sep 4, 2011 |
Riley number two and it was great. The bride was face blind and that is an interesting disorder(I can't imagine not being able to remember a face, names are bad for me but at least I recognize them). Loved the Minnesota ties. Great mystery and slight romance.
Her writing is easy to follow and fun to read. She spins a great mystery that keeps you interested right up to the last page. Riley is a character with feeling and depth. A new writer who I will be following, now I just wish she could write a bit faster. ( )
  cenneidigh | Dec 13, 2010 |

In this page-turning sequel to Stalking Susan, TV reporter Riley Spartz pursues a curious story of a bride left at the altar and finds herself caught in a dangerous missing-person case.

When Riley Spartz sees a want ad reading “Wedding Dress for Sale: Never Worn,” her news instincts tell her that the backstory might make an intriguing television sweeps piece.

The groom, Mark, last seen at the rehearsal dinner, never showed up for the wedding, humiliating his bride, Madeline—and her high-strung, high-society mother—in front of 300 guests. His own mother, eager to spare him further embarrassment, waited weeks before filing a missing-person report and then learned how difficult it is to get police, or the media, interested in missing men.

Now Riley is up against a boss who thinks that finding a famed missing fish will net the station higher ratings, a meth cartel trying to assassinate a K-9 dog because of his powerful nose for drugs, and a neighbor who holds perpetual garage sales that attract traffic at odd hours.

When her missing-person case leads to a murder investigation, Riley discovers a startling motive for Mark's disappearance—and a TV exclusive guaranteed to win the ratings . . . if she lives to report it.

www.juliekramerbooks.com

www.doubleday.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:24 -0400)

TV reporter Riley Spartz pursues a curious story of a bride left at the altar and finds herself caught in a dangerous missing-person case.--From publisher description.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,280,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible