Art of the Western World: From Ancient…

Art of the Western World: From Ancient Greece to Post-Modernism

by Bruce Cole

While perhaps not the most emmersive of Art Historical books, it is good read and covers a lot of ground. I would recommend this book for new comers to Art History. ( )
  Jen_Muller | Apr 7, 2013 |
Never having studied art, I found this book to be very helpful in learning about art history and styles. It was easy to read and understand and it had some good pictures but it was written in 1989 and may now be a little outdated. There may be more current versions of this text, but I'm not sure. The book is entitled "Art of the Western World: From Ancient Greece to Post-Modernism." I'm not sure if that means it excludes Mexican, Central American, or South American art, but these areas were definitely not given space in this book. For example Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera were never mentioned. Also missing was art from Native American/Indian groups. However, what was covered proved to be both interesting and informative. ( )
  gcamp | Oct 21, 2010 |
I've been using this book off-and-on to supplement my main textbook, Stokstad's Art History, for my art history classes at West Valley and DeAnza. It's definitely a high quality book, with large color reproductions of many of the world's most famous images. In fact, it was a perfect supplement because it contained so many significant pieces that for space considerations, my main textbook left out completely. Due to space I'm going to pass it on, but it's a great resource.

To be honest, though, I never *read* the text. I'd skim it if there was a certain artist I needed info on, but mostly I just used it for the images. So I can't comment on the quality of the text. It's certainly a very general overview, but what can you expect from a book that covers over 2000 years in less than 350 pages? ( )
  makaiju | Jan 29, 2010 |
Not Read
  wlchui | Aug 2, 2009 |

This magnificent volume, the official tie-in edition to the major fall PBS series, offers a wide-ranging introduction to the greatest and most beautiful art of the Western world. Includes 350 photographs which provide a stunning overview of the best of Western art.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:05 -0400)

An introduction to and study of artistic masterpieces from the Western world. Interpretation and commentary by art historians emphasize the significance of each work and its relationship to art movements, art theory and the social environment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,341,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible