When a destitute young woman hires Royce and Hadrian to help save her remote village, they find themselves once more drawn into the schemes of the wizard Esrahaddon. The two become the only hope for the isolated village plagued by nocturnal attacks. As each night brings death, and each day finds Royce frustrated in his attempts to breech the secrets of an ancient elven tower, Hadrian tries to help the people of the village defend themselves against the unseen killer. When the church arrives and declares that whoever slays the terror shall be emperor, they soon realize more is at stake than a handful of farms. The Church of Nyphron has decided it is time to establish the New Empire; all that remains is to convince the world they have found the Heir of Novron. Once more, what began as the simple theft of a sword has placed the two thieves at the center of a firestorm whose outcome could change the world. This fresh, heroic fantasy adventure is the second book of a series told through six self-contained episodes, each complete in their own right.… (more)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
This was even better than the first, The Crown Conspiracy, and I really enjoyed that one. The third can't come fast enough for me. I like the questions raised at the end. The entire book was fast moving, action packed, and fun. I love the characters. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
A real page turner I never wanted to put down. I love his writing style and the depth of the characters. Nothing extra tossed in for filler. Believable and very well written. It left me yearning for more. ( )
  Jenn.S | Sep 25, 2013 |
For the first half of this book, I was a little disappointed. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - it was great to be reunited with old friends such as Hadrian, Royce, Arista, and good (or is he evil?) ole Esrahaddon. The new developments with the church of Nyphron and their schemes, plus Arista's new assignment to serve as ambassador were all nice to read about. But it just didn't have the heart pacing action I'd come to expect after reading The Crown Conspiracy.

But talk about calm before the storm. The build up was necessary to properley deliver the knockout punch that we get in the second half. Wow! I can now step back and see how it's woven together and I'm impressed. Avempartha not only met my expectations, but exceeded them. The characters were developed more in depth and some of my suspicions were confirmed. New mysteries came to pass as well. There were some great battle scenes, and a surprise casualty or two. The ending was unexpected as well, and had me wanting volume 3 immediately.

All in all, the writing is smoother and reads more comfortably than in the first book. I don't know if that is due to superior editing or simply the author finding his comfort zone and settling into it. I will say that the chapters were sectioned off much better - the first had a strange way of breaking them up that was somewhat uneven. And as far as the story itself, where Book 1 ran like a quick burst of action and plot twists, Book 2 was more epic in nature and promises so much more to come.

Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
#2 of the series is as good as #1. The storyline moves quite swiftly with enough to make you want to read the next one. ( )
  ChuTrandinh | Nov 24, 2011 |
Continuing the story, part 2 of 6. Much in the same vein as before, light, fun, fairly well paced, fantasy. Nothing particularly special about it, but nothing badly done either.

Royce and Haradin are hired to steal another sword from a tower. Despite the trouble they got into last time, they still thought this wasn't too bad a job, until after they'd started it. The tower in question turned out to be an ancient elven fortress right in the middle of a raging torrent of a river. Once upon a time a bridge had existed, but it was long destroyed. It also turns out to be guarded by a magical dragon, which the sword is the only weapon that be used against it. And the Church have - in a massive and unexplained coincidence - decided now is the moment to hold a contest for the honour of killing it. This neatly re-unites all the characters from the previous book, except Myron who gets one mention, with no explanation of where he's gone.

Everything rolls along in pretty much the expected directions, we learn some more about the history of the world, Royce's personal background, and a few more insinuations about the others. It reads somewhat more smoothly than the previous one, and has a slightly more believable plot. Hopefully an explanation will arise later in the series for the timing of the Church's actions. There has been sufficient scheming to make this plausible.

Entertaining enough. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | Aug 13, 2011 |
Voor mijn vrouw, Robin, mijn partner in het leven en in het avontuur van het maken van deze reeks, wier harde werk en toewijding het allemaal mogelijk maakten

Voor mijn dochter Sarah, die het verhaal niet wilde lezen voordat het was gepubliceerd.

Voor Steve Gillick voor zijn feedback, en Pete DeBrule, die dit alles in gang heeft gezet.

En voor de leden van de Dragonchow, mijn oorspronkelijke fanclub
Toen de man uit de schaduwen stapte, wist Wybrand Deminthal direct dat dit de ergste, zo niet laatste dag van zijn leven was.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,694,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible