The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

The Sirens of Titan (original 1959; edition 1998)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Malachi Constant, "the richest man in America," gives up his indulgent lifestyle to follow an urgent calling to probe the depths of space. He participates in a Martian invasion of Earth, mates with the wife of an astronaut adrift on the tides of time, and follows the lure of the "Sirens of Titan."
Member:grunin
Title:The Sirens of Titan
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:The Dial Press (1998), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, read

The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (1959)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mike_frank)
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Is there meaning to the universe, or one big joke of coincidences.

English (88)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (91)
The purpose of human civilisation is to construct a replacement part for an stranded alien's broken spacecraft. ( )
  BlueGuitar | Sep 14, 2019 |
Five pages in, I already knew this was going to be a fantastic book. The writing is very, very good, and while the plot may seem flighty on the surface, there is so much being said in so few pages, and the questions and ideas this book provokes keep on coming long after the final page has been turned.
I enjoyed this immensely, and will absolutely be picking up more Vonnegut to read asap. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Sep 2, 2019 |
it wasn't bad. I'm sure I missed some symbolism for something, but it was just... kinda weird. ( )
  ptrsdwski | Jul 16, 2019 |
Eigentlich 4½ statt 4 Sterne, aber auf die Einführung feiner abstufbarer halber Sterne kann ich bei Goodreads wohl warten, bis ich eine Mumie bin...

Edit: scheiß drauf, mach ich halt glatte 5 Glitzerzacken draus, vier ist einfach zu wenig. Pah! ( )
  Horrortorte | May 17, 2019 |
Unpopular opinion, but this is not my favorite Vonnegut. Not even in my top five. But before you start throwing stones at me, I still enjoyed it. A lot. I can't pinpoint exactly why I didn't like this as much as his others, but it was still a good read. It's zany, filled with classic Vonnegut-isms, zany characters, tributes to Indianapolis, weird space opera vibes, and jabs about human faith, politics, and economy. The Sirens of Titan tell the story of the space wanderer. Once, the richest playboy on earth, now a man lost in the cosmos forgetful of his past. It's a story about the wonders of space, the folly of organized religion, and morality. It's over the top as always and filled with characters only Vonnegut could create. Even though it's not my favorite, I want to come back to this one and read it in a few years instead of listening to the audio. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 28, 2019 |

Powers, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teason, WilliamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules—and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress."
—Ransom K. Fern
For Alex Vonnegut, special agent, with love
Everyone now knows how to find the meaning of life within himself.

But mankind wasn’t always so lucky. Less than a century ago men and women did not have easy access to the puzzle boxes within them.

They could not name even one of the fifty-three portals to the soul.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible