The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

The Sirens of Titan (original 1959; edition 1998)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:grunin
Title:The Sirens of Titan
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:The Dial Press (1998), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, read

The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (1959)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mike_frank)
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Is there meaning to the universe, or one big joke of coincidences.

English (83)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (86)
Para mí, infumable.

Lee mi reseña completa aquí. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
This put me in mind of Douglas Addams, more than any of Vonneguts others. If you like Addams I think this will be right up your alley ( )
  ZephyrusW | Jul 4, 2018 |
I generally read up on books online before I review them, and it doesn’t happen a lot I come across a good, thorough scholarly essay that’s available online. The fact that I did find one about The Sirens Of Titan attests to Kurt Vonnegut Jr.’s status as an author embraced by the literary establishment.

A big part of that is the fact that Vonnegut did not write clearcut science fiction, but something that seems more important to the uninitiated. His voice is critical, satirical, grotesque. The question of genre is exactly the subject of said essay.

(...)

Please read the full review on Weighing A Pig ( )
  bormgans | Jun 25, 2018 |
Yeah, I think I finally truly love [a:Kurt Vonnegut|2778055|Kurt Vonnegut|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1357661500p2/2778055.jpg] and his writing style. I think I finally get it. Then again, [b:Slaughterhouse Five|4981|Slaughterhouse-Five|Kurt Vonnegut|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1337996187s/4981.jpg|1683562] probably wasn't the best way to start. I should've taken a hint with [b:Welcome to the Monkey House|4985|Welcome to the Monkey House|Kurt Vonnegut|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1381107552s/4985.jpg|438581] that I'd come to love and adore the author, but I was in high school and thick skulled. Oh well.

I picked this book up at the used bookstore for my boyfriend, knowing that he was a fan of [a:Kurt Vonnegut|2778055|Kurt Vonnegut|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1357661500p2/2778055.jpg] and science fiction. Why not mix the two and give him the only overtly sci-fi novel that the author wrote? Well. I did. And he enjoyed it. Well, I think he enjoyed it. I probably should talk to him about it a bit. He did pass it on to me when he was done and said I'd probably like to read it, so, there's that.

This book was pretty darn hilarious. I didn't feel terribly kindly about the final arc of the novel, but I greatly enjoyed the rest of it and found it more amusing than I should have. Laughter was had, grins were grinned, and the book was eagerly devoured in a relatively short period. It was an entertaining read, a very fun one. The philosophy wasn't terribly deep, the message wasn't anything stunning or remarkable as one might perhaps expect and hope from the author... but the book was fun. It was fun, it was good, and what more do you want from some fine fiction? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Wow, this book was all over the place and not in a bad way. I am amzed how well it holds up after all these years. I will say this book is not going to be fro everyone but it completely hit in the pocket of my views on freedom and religion. Vonnegut's brain does not work like the rest of us. I think this is a book I will be rereading in a few years. I have a feeling it will bring something new to each reading. Not my favorite by him but up there. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chris MooreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules—and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress."
—Ransom K. Fern
For Alex Vonnegut, special agent, with love
Everyone now knows how to find the meaning of life within himself.

The Sirens of Titan is an outrageous romp through space, time, and morality. The richest, most depraved man on Earth, Malachi Constant, is offered a chance to take a space journey to distant worlds with a beautiful woman at his side. Of course there’s a catch to the invitation–and a prophetic vision about the purpose of human life that only Vonnegut has the courage to tell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:54 -0400)

Malachi Constant, "the richest man in America," gives up his indulgent lifestyle to follow an urgent calling to probe the depths of space. He participates in a Martian invasion of Earth, mates with the wife of an astronaut adrift on the tides of time, and follows the lure of the "Sirens of Titan."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,627,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible