Slapstick, or, Lonesome no more! : a novel…

Slapstick, or, Lonesome no more! : a novel (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Title:Slapstick, or, Lonesome no more! : a novel
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dell, [1989], c1976.

Slapstick: Or Lonesome No More! by Kurt Vonnegut (1976)

Recently added byarpentec, e-zReader, eastlake_uk, private library, okrick, beckyface, ryansutter
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

This book was my introduction to Vonnegut, and I LOVED it. I read it for the first time years and years ago, and it has remained my all time favorite book. Yip. This one. #1 on my Desert Island list. I never really understood all the praise SH5 got, I like it enough, but it was no where near as entertaining as this book. It's absurd and grotesque and makes perfect sense. If you haven't read it, you should. ( )
  Joeyzaza82 | Jul 30, 2015 |
Not as funny as SH5 but still vintage KV ( )
  bob101 | May 14, 2015 |
One of the more surreal ones but an amusing piece of dystopian fiction. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Somehow, I'd never read this 36 year old Vonnegut novel. Good stuff. Not outstanding stuff, but good stuff. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Oct 26, 2012 |
Dr. Wilbur Daffodil-11 Swain, the King of Manhattan. One of my 5 favorite KV's. ( )
2 vote BooksForDinner | Oct 3, 2011 |
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
"Call me but love, and I'll be new baptiz'd ..."
Dedicated to the memory of Arthur Stanley Jefferson and Norvell Hardy, two angels of my time.
This is the closest I will ever come to writing an autobiography.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385334230, Paperback)

Dr. Wilbur Daffodil-11 Swain, centenarian, the last President of the United States, King of Manhattan, and one-half (along with his sister, Eliza) of the most powerful intelligence since Einstein, is penning his autobiography. He occupies the first floor of a ruined Empire State Building and lives like a royal scavenger with his illiterate granddaughter and her beau. Buffeted by fluctuating gravity, the U.S. has been scourged by not one, but two lethal diseases: the Green Death and the Albanian Flu. Consequently, the country has fallen into civil war. (Super-intelligent, miniaturized Chinese watch the West self-destruct from the sidelines.) Swain stayed at the White House until there were no citizens left to govern, then moved to deserted New York City, where he writes a thoughtful missive before death.

In Slapstick, Vonnegut muses on war, man's hubris, and the awful, crippling loneliness humans are freighted with--but, miraculously, the book still manages to delight and amuse. Absurd, knowing, never depressing, Slapstick kindles hope--for the possibility of wisdom, perhaps; for human resiliency, surely.

It's best to end with a quote from the prologue wherein the author discourses on The Meaning of It All, or at least This Book: "Love is where you find it. I think it is foolish to go off looking for it, and I think it can often be poisonous.
I wish that people who are conventionally supposed to love each other would say to each other, when they fight, 'Please--a little less love, and a little more common decency.'"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

This hilarious, wickedly irreverent farce presents an apocalyptic vision seen through the eyes of the current King of Manhattan (and last President of the United States).

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,958,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible