The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern, Second…
Member:fuzzi
Title:The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern, Second Edition
Authors:Jody Lynn Nye
Other authors:Anne McCaffrey, James Clouse (Illustrator), Todd Cameron Hamilton (Illustrator)
Info:Del Rey (1997), Edition: 2, Paperback, 260 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Reference/Non-Fiction, SciFi Fantasy

The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern by Jody Lynn Nye (1989)

I bought and read this book for the short story "the impression", which is ok but not fantastic. Overall the book isn't really my thing -- its mostly a potted history of Pern and a nearly exhaustive coverage of the various weyrs, holds and craft halls that inhabit the planet. To be honest, I'd rather learn that stuff as I read the series, instead of reading a summary. Overall I think this book isn't particularly great, although its nice to have read the short story at the right time in the sequence.

Having just read Dragonsdawn, there are also some inconsistencies which grated a little (the use of HNO3 for example, and how much knowledge of the Oort cloud the survey team had string to mind as examples).

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Anne_McCaffrey/The_Dragonlovers_Guide_to_Pern.html ( )
  mikal | Dec 8, 2009 |
All things Pern up to 1989 ( )
  Rhohanin61 | Mar 18, 2008 |
Dragonlover's Guide to Pern is a fairly exhaustive reference for the history and culture of Pern. If you ahve read the books and short stories, there is little that is new. There are recipies for bubbly pies, and klah, but beyond that there is little new. In fact, the story stops with the end of The White Dragon. There are some details from the Moreta stories and Dragon's Dawn, but the details of the founding of various Holds and Wyers don't match the stories in First Fall-The Chronicles of Pern.

The writing is uneven--probably because it was written by several people. Also, the edition I have has no maps. Given the ubiquity of the maps in the other books, this was a surprising omission. And there were several typos. ( )
  socialchild | Feb 1, 2008 |

Hamilton, Todd CameronIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, HollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCaffrey,Annesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, James RCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandmother, Estelle S. Nye, in whose costume shop I spent some of the best times of my life.
In the fall of 1987, Bill Fawcett, Todd Hamilton, Todd Johnson and I spent ten days in Anne McCaffrey's livingroom in Dragonhold in Ireland asking questions -- and, in Todd Hamilton's case, making sketches under her direction.  (Introduction)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345412745, Paperback)

A much-needed update to the classic companion to Anne McCaffrey's canonical novels and numerous short stories about Pern, this book includes a few recipes, information about knitting patterns, Craft and Hold badges, and more. As a reference, it is marred by the lack of cross-referencing within the book, although there is an index, and by the lack of scales with the drawings of various animals and places. It will be invaluable to readers like me who can't recall just where they read that name before, or what Weyr a rider is from, or where that small Hold is, and it provides a useful overview of the high points of Pernese history--though it's no substitute for the pleasure of reading the stories!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:57 -0400)

A guide to help visualize the setting and background created by Anne McCaffrey in the world of Pern.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,885,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible