Danza de la gaviota, La by Andrea Camilleri

Danza de la gaviota, La (original 2009; edition 2012)

by Andrea Camilleri

Title:Danza de la gaviota, La
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Barcelona: Salamandra
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Literatura italiana, Policiaca, Italia, Sicilia

The Dance of the Seagull by Andrea Camilleri (2009)

English (7)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (11)
I liked this one for a number of reasons. The story is back on solid footing as a police procedural. It also has a more somber feel about it. The story stays more or less focused on the case at hand and Montalbano even tries to minimize the number of falsehoods he tells to his boss, the Commissioner. Camilleri continues to play around with little intrusions of reality that true Montalbano fans will appreciate, like the tiny playful gab he takes at the actor who play Montalbano in the TV series by having Montalbano comment that unlike the actor, Montalbano does have a full head of hair. Cute. ;-)

Overall, a better story and a more solid police procedural piece. Onwards to the next book in the series. ( )
  lkernagh | Oct 28, 2015 |
Too much telling, not enough showing. Detective make assumptions that leads him to find his associate - reader is asked to buy into all the assumptions without author providing the background. I finished the tape, but I was really glad it didn't go on much longer. ( )
  Pmaurer | Oct 30, 2014 |
Italian inspector Montalbano investigates an attempt to murder one of his police officers and at the hospital where his injured officer is staying, he discovers a nurse that knows a lot more than it appears. While doing this, he tries to keep the commissioner from getting involved.

The characters in this book were easily irritated and often rude to each other, including Montalbano. The story seemed rather disorganized. I think this was meant as humor. The book was readable but not appealing to me. ( )
  gaylebutz | Oct 19, 2014 |
The novels of Andrea Camilleri breathe out the sense of place, the sense of humor, and the sense of despair that fills the air of Sicily. A good read, enjoy!
I was given this book by GoodReads. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
This is the 15th and latest in translation in the Salvo Montalbano series, with several more published but yet to be translated. Which means lots to look forward to! I read this in less than two days, which is testament to how much I was enjoying it (having some recreation time might have helped too). This latest is a little more pacey than the Camilleri norm, or so it felt, due in no small measure to the urgency in finding Montalbano's colleague Fazio who has gone missing and may have had a terrible fate befall him. Montalbano is getting older of course, he is now 57,and the interchanges between him and his alter ego now and then add to the entertainment factor and help give some insight into the man himself.

The Mafia do not usually figure with any great prominence in Camilleri's books, but here the villains have Mafia connections; however the focus on the individuals and the criminal aspect rather than the organisation ensures than the book does not become any sort of commentary on the mafia itself, something Camilleri is always careful to avoid in my opinion. Not a criticism, rather an observation.

The book starts, rather promisingly, with Salvo's longtime girlfriend Livia arriving to spend a holiday with him, but she disappears from the story as quickly as she arrives, which is a downer for me as I would dearly like to see his relationship with Livia feature more prominently in the series. But that said, there is still, as always, a female presence that gets Montalbano's hormones going and the man in a muddle. Also not present to the usual extent is Sicilian cuisine; Montalbano loves his food, and it often features prominently, but alas, aside from lots of coffee, not so much here. These two slight criticisms aside, I loved this latest, the plot, the often quirky characters, the wit, the interactions, and Camilleri's humourous style.

The dance of the seagull, which the book opens with, serves, should you wonder as a metaphor for a later event, of which I shall say no more! As for a 'double scrockson', read the book!

Camilleri is, if it is not already evident, very probably my favourite, and this latest just serves to entrench him in that position.

Having the full Montalbano series also on DVD, I now plan to watch this story later tonight, time and body allowing. Opportunity to enjoy the story all over again albeit via a different medium. Might not deliver all that the book does, but I shall still enjoy. ( )
  ebyrne41 | Apr 1, 2013 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At about five-thirty in the morning, he could no longer stand lying in bed with his eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling.

Before leaving for vacation, Inspector Montalbano witnesses a seagull doing an odd dance on the beach outside his home, when the bird suddenly drops dead. Stopping in at his office for a quick check before heading off, he notices that his right-hand man, Fazio, is nowhere to be found. Montalbano sets out to find him and discovers that the seagull's dance of death may provide the key to understanding a macabre world of sadism, extortion, and murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,903,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible