Under Cover Of Darkness by Elizabeth White

Under Cover Of Darkness

by Elizabeth White

41None279,442 (3.9)None

No reviews
I am the gate; whoever enters through Me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.                                                                                                                                                       ---John 10:9-10
This book is dedicated to my husband, Scott. I love you more than I can say.

Abundant thanks to my critique partners, Tammy and Sheri. I feel sorry for other writers who don't have you two, but I'm not sharing.

I would also like to express my gratitude to several people who let me pick their brains for this project. First I'm overwhelmed by the bravery and dedication of our U.S. Border Patrol Service, now under the Department of Homeland Security. These men and women tirelessly guard our far-flung national boundaries. For the sake of the story, I had to make up a bad guy, but I never ran across one "in real life." These guys are true heroes! In particular, I'd like to thank Border Patrol Chaplain Brian Henderson and retired Agent Bill Harrington for helping with story details. All mistakes are mine.

Credit also goes to Robin Burgin and Carolyn Whittington, who both allowed me to trot along behind them learning a little about landscaping design and gas-powered augers. Thank you for sharing your time and creativity.

Muchas gracias to Senor Garry Morrison and Senora Jane Myers Perrine, who helped with Spanish translations. I hope I understood you correctly!

One more note. Thanks to my brother in Christ, Pastor Gabriel Cortes, who ministers to the Spanish-speaking community of south Fort Worth. Your loving, joyful congregation richly blessed me when I visited. May the Lord continue to multiply the Kingdom through you.
Prologue

Eagle Pass, Texas

The black iron skeleton of the old railroad bridge known as el puente negro arched across the Rio Grande in bold relief against a clear, starlit sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373442181, Mass Market Paperback)

The life of U. S. Border Patrol agent Jack Torres is forever changed the night his partner is killed near the border city of Eagle Pass, Texas. Jack's newfound faith in Christ is shaken to the core as he sets out to break up the gang of smugglers responsible for his friend and mentor's violent death. His quest leads him to Fort Worth, where he goes undercover in a landscaping company. Jack suspects the company's manager of colluding with a rogue Border Patrol agent to bring illegal aliens across the border and sell them to companies looking for cheap labor. His lovely young boss, landscape architect Meg St. John, seems innocent of the scheme, having taken the project in the hopes it will lead to a promotion into the design office.

But as their relationship deepens, so does the danger surrounding them. Jack struggles with involving Meg in the dangerous world of alien smuggling, but she is the only he can trust.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible