The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

The Ask and the Answer

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (2)

English (102)  Dutch (1)  All languages (103)
How do I even begin to say anything about this book? This whole series? These books are geared toward young adult books but they are so very much more. Civil war, genocide, power hungry leaders and gender lines. This writer takes all of those and somehow manages to write them down in a way that captures the readers attention and hearts.

Patrick Ness seems to be a master of making the reader go into a book expecting one thing and recieving something that will completely blow their minds. He is very fastly becoming one of my favorite authors.

If you have not tried this series. Please do.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
The excitement continues! The second book is just as action packed as the first, and ends with another tense cliff-hanger. On to Book Three! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Read Chaos Walking, they said. It will be fun, they said.

LIARS, FRIENDS. LIAR. This book is fantastic. It is magnificent. It is wonderful, and I assume that when I have regained my full mental capacities(THANK YOU, book, for that), I will sing this books praises. But until then, MY HEART. It has been beaten and stepped on and oh, how I feel for these characters.

DEFINITELY NOT. NOT OKAY.

Full review to come, at some point, when I can behave rationally again. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Wow. Just wow. The best of all of the YA dystopias I've read. By a lot. Of course there is the standard YA trope of teenagers being the most important thing in a vast struggle and more capable than teenagers probably are. Teenagers need and deserve to read stories that speak to their discovery of the world's betrayals and their feeling of being immortal but also alone.

Ness gives them those things and so much more. He can write. His descriptive sentences and observations about human nature are wonderful to read. His world-building is flawless and never threw me out of the story. The characters are multi-faceted and convincing.

Most importantly, the story is emotionally and morally complex. People make bad decisions, people do ugly things they don't want to do, good and bad and right and wrong are murky things, the bad guys do good things, the good guys do bad things. The heroes themselves are deeply flawed. This causes the reader to ask themselves what they might be capable of given circumstances where every choice is an awful one.

Finally, there is action. Enough adventure and action happens that boredom never sets in and there are plenty of breathless moments of wondering what happens next.

Well done. I'm eager to see what's next. ( )
  nancyewhite | May 2, 2014 |
"All that evil needs to triumph is for good men to sit around and do nothing."

This book, once I got used to the pidgin English again, was a roller coaster of emotions. At one point, it made me physically nauseous. The comparisons to the Mayor's New Prentisstown and Nazi Germany are abundant. The whole idea of "if they're innocent, then they have nothing to fear" is something replete through history and all the more horrifying because of it.

The ones who look like the villains are really morally grey, because everyone thinks they're the hero in their own tale. The ones who look like the good guys are morally grey too. Throughout this entire mess, we have Viola and Todd. Viola and Todd are on no one's side but their own, although they temporarily align with others.

It's heart-wrenching what they go through and what they endure in the name of being together. And even when they're together, it's for far too short a time.

This has to be one of the most intense books I've ever read. I didn't want to put it down, I needed to put it down, I couldn't live without knowing what happened, I didn't want it to end...I read 300 pages in one day.

Do I want to read the sequel? Of course I do. Do I want to read the sequel right now, after that book put me through the ringer? No...I'm good.

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible