The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

The Ask and the Answer

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (2)

English (127)  Dutch (2)  All languages (129)
Review: The Ask and the Anser I loved everything about this book. Both Todd and Viola have to figure out if they can live with some of the choices they make. They care so much for each other, but other forces are playing with that, and making things not as they seem. Both have to do things they don’t agree with, and deal with those decisions in different ways.
There is so much conspiracy it is insane, and I absolutely love it You still aren’t sure who to trust. They are stories from the Ask and the Answer but how do you know which one is true. Both leaders lie, and twist the truth, so much that it seems both views are correct.
I can’t wait to read the next book. I need to know what happens next. Ness definitely leaves you gripping the edge of your seat until the last page, and this is no different.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:

Katrina's 2015 Audio Book Challenge
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Chaos Walking trilogy. Todd and Viola are separated in this book as each tries to figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys as the structures of New World crumble and are re-built. I really can't say more than that without spoilers, but suffice it to say that this is a strong follow-up to [The Knife of Never Letting Go]. The pace is fast with plenty of twists, and Todd and Viola continue to grow as strong, but flawed main characters. ( )
  porch_reader | Mar 5, 2016 |
This one picks up right where the last left off. Viola and Todd thought that Haven was going to be their place of refuge, but they couldn't have been more wrong. If the first book was all about the journey, then this one was all about the destination. It adds many more characters but not enough to make the landscape seem crowded. I simply couldn't put this one down, and I can't wait for the third! ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
This trilogy is destroying me in the best possible way!!! How can a book be this good?? ( )
  Rogue-Phoenix | Feb 12, 2016 |
Shazam-non stop action. I really could not put it down. Todd and Viola, so many things go wrong. They are the bravest characters, so young and unseasoned they keep trying falling and getting back up. This place is not what they had dreamed of. It is full of cowards, back stabbers, and liars. Who do they trust, which side is t he right one ? Many choices are made many are wrong, but they never fail each other. Ends with a cliffhanger. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.
"You are either forgetting or do not know that we already fought a great war, a war to end all wars, at just about the time you would have been born. If any repeat of that can be avoided—" (p. 36)
She looks at me carefully. "Appeasement," she says. "That's what it's called. Appeasement. It's a slippery slope."
   "What does it mean?"
   "It means you want to work with the enemy. It means you'd rather join him than beat him, and it's a sure-fire way to stay beaten."
(p. 153)
"You've got to be practical," Mayor Ledger says, "even in the face of tyrants."
(p. 301)
"I was only following orders," the Mayor mocks. "The refuge of scoundrels since the dawn of time."
(p. 454)

We are the choices
we make: do I fight or join
with my enemy?
(passion4reading)

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,799,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible