The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

The Ask and the Answer

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (2)

1,384None5,486 (4.22)142
2009 (12) 2011 (13) 2012 (18) adventure (30) aliens (19) Chaos Walking (37) coming of age (19) dystopia (111) dystopian (33) ebook (18) fantasy (56) fiction (103) Kindle (14) love (12) read (16) science fiction (177) series (39) sf (14) sff (10) survival (13) teen (17) telepathy (37) terrorism (11) to-read (42) violence (11) war (54) wishlist (10) YA (91) young adult (107) young adult fiction (18)

English (97)  Dutch (1)  All languages (98)
Very backwards and forwards at times, but worth it in the end. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
Character evelopment.. I love the fact that you see BOTH sides, not just one like in most books. Also that he shifted his way of "telling" (Todd AND Viola this time).
You begin to feel manipulated, which one does actually want the best? Which one is the best leader?

But also that they are kind of turning on each other, and then again they're not.

It still didnt live up to the expectations though. ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

This second part of the Chaos Walking-Trilogy (The Ask and The Answer) is, as we speak (so to say), making it's way through the bookstores for the first time in Dutch translation. (Or, so I'm told. I haven't had the time to go and see for myself). I really hope they haven't ruined the book, for it would be a shame. Still, I have recommended everyone to read it in English. Just to be sure they will enjoyed as much as I did. I already mentioned during discussing the first book (The Knife of Never Letting Go) my frustrashun about the fact it wasn't translated already. It seemed like somehow it was completely overlooked by publishers (although they have published lots of other YA Dystopian Novels).

But this book isn't your normal YA Dystopian Novel, it is so original, thrilling and I believe I even cried during this book. (Which really isn't something I do a lot whilst reading). Once more, I would recommend this to everyone! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
I will write more in my review of the third book of the trilogy, but something brief here: The second book is, again, a breath-taking adventure from beginning to end. Perhaps a bit too much of a struggle, too many odds stacked up against a boy and a girl too young to ever succeed. So the impossibility of it all seems daunting. You get this feeling form the first book, but it really kicks in in the second, and will continue to peak in the last book. What really fleshes out the story in the second book, which is a certain distinction from the first book, is politics. Human relations and politics are done very well. From power-hungry generals to head-strong doctors to gender trouble... it's got it all, and it works it all very well into a corrosive thrill. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
This book was well written and thought out. I liked how I didn't feel lost at all because despite the changing POVs I still got a sense of what was going on and got to see both sides of a war. It's interesting how Ness uses this as a way to show that not only one side of every war is the bad guy. [Mayor] Prentiss might have been the heartless and most ruthless leader of the two sides but you have to admit that Mistress Coyle was a cunning cold hearted [w]itch despite claiming to be the "good guy".

Todd and Viola's relationship still continues to thrive even though they're apart for.....*SPOILER* half the novel.

What I like about their separation is that they get to know the people that surround them. Had they been together the whole time I don't think we would have gotten an inside into what each side of the battle consisted of. In the end it doesn't matter about the leaders but the innocent people found on both sides. It's not fair to either side just because they happened to be on the "wrong" side.

The reason I didn't really want to give this a 5 star rating was because I felt as thought character development was a bit slow for some reason. I don't know if the constant POV change was what made me think there wasn't much development. Other than that it doesn't really matter for the most part, I really enjoyed this action packed read.

I would also recommend reading the short stories that Patrick Ness wrote for each of the novels. You can ( )
  Jessika.C | Dec 5, 2013 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible