The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book…

The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two (edition 2010)

by Patrick Ness

Member:Eurekas
Title:The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction / Fantasy / American

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

English (128)  Dutch (2)  All languages (130)
Once again, a rollercoaster of a book. However, I couldn't read this as fast as The Knife of Never Letting Go as there are some very violent scenes and I had to put it down and walk away from it. Definitely not for the faint-hearted! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
First read: May 2013

Reread Review:
This book is just effing brilliant! I never thought I would be such an emotional wreck on a damn re-read but I was! This book is a crazy as hell journey filled with a level of hatred for characters that I have not yet experienced. At the same time, the love felt for our two main characters transcends anything I have read. There has been no declaration of love, no kiss, nothing, and yet their bond and love for each other is so incredibly strong and heartfelt that there truly can be no one who can stand in their way.

This is an amazing read but one that will flip your head inside out with the amount of Jedi mind tricks, betrayal. lies, and deception going on. Whew is it too early for a cocktail?

Another fantastic buddy read with Andrew." ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

This second part of the Chaos Walking-Trilogy (The Ask and The Answer) is, as we speak (so to say), making it's way through the bookstores for the first time in Dutch translation. (Or, so I'm told. I haven't had the time to go and see for myself). I really hope they haven't ruined the book, for it would be a shame. Still, I have recommended everyone to read it in English. Just to be sure they will enjoyed as much as I did. I already mentioned during discussing the first book (The Knife of Never Letting Go) my frustrashun about the fact it wasn't translated already. It seemed like somehow it was completely overlooked by publishers (although they have published lots of other YA Dystopian Novels).

But this book isn't your normal YA Dystopian Novel, it is so original, thrilling and I believe I even cried during this book. (Which really isn't something I do a lot whilst reading). Once more, I would recommend this to everyone! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Review: The Ask and the Anser I loved everything about this book. Both Todd and Viola have to figure out if they can live with some of the choices they make. They care so much for each other, but other forces are playing with that, and making things not as they seem. Both have to do things they don’t agree with, and deal with those decisions in different ways.
There is so much conspiracy it is insane, and I absolutely love it You still aren’t sure who to trust. They are stories from the Ask and the Answer but how do you know which one is true. Both leaders lie, and twist the truth, so much that it seems both views are correct.
I can’t wait to read the next book. I need to know what happens next. Ness definitely leaves you gripping the edge of your seat until the last page, and this is no different.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:

Katrina's 2015 Audio Book Challenge
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Chaos Walking trilogy. Todd and Viola are separated in this book as each tries to figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys as the structures of New World crumble and are re-built. I really can't say more than that without spoilers, but suffice it to say that this is a strong follow-up to [The Knife of Never Letting Go]. The pace is fast with plenty of twists, and Todd and Viola continue to grow as strong, but flawed main characters. ( )
  porch_reader | Mar 5, 2016 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.
"You are either forgetting or do not know that we already fought a great war, a war to end all wars, at just about the time you would have been born. If any repeat of that can be avoided—" (p. 36)
She looks at me carefully. "Appeasement," she says. "That's what it's called. Appeasement. It's a slippery slope."
   "What does it mean?"
   "It means you want to work with the enemy. It means you'd rather join him than beat him, and it's a sure-fire way to stay beaten."
(p. 153)
"You've got to be practical," Mayor Ledger says, "even in the face of tyrants."
(p. 301)
"I was only following orders," the Mayor mocks. "The refuge of scoundrels since the dawn of time."
(p. 454)

We are the choices
we make: do I fight or join
with my enemy?
(passion4reading)

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,839,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible