The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book…

The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two (edition 2010)

by Patrick Ness

Member:Eurekas
Title:The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction / Fantasy / American

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

English (105)  Dutch (1)  All languages (106)

I think I really like this, but I have trouble with the pacing. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
This books resumes right where book one ended. We are thrown into a room where Todd Hewitt, already man although not by age, is being interrogated by the Mayor. It's no longer Haven, but New Prentisstown and the lines of war are being drawn. Todd and Viola find themselves as pawns in this game of war as they try to figure out what is right or wrong, who is the tyrant and who is the savior, and above all, how to stay true to themselves.

I am really impressed with this book. Usually the second book drops in quality because the initial premise disappears and the newness of the world becomes commonplace. But Ness is not afraid to try new things and bring a different viewpoint into this second book. We get a taste of Viola's thoughts as we flip back and forth between Todd and Viola's first person view point. Both have distinctive voices and like the first book, both are easy to care about. Their sole reliance on one another is one of the only consistent themes, even though it is somewhat shaken once in a while - and I like that. It's a romance that takes backstage to the action, just as it should be in this type of book.

I think I actually like this book more than book one because it makes you think a lot more - about justice, about slavery, about right and wrong and the means to the end. And about perspective. Not to say that this book is a heavy book. Similar to the first book, it has that same style of fast-paced action and easy reading. And though it also contains heavy material (death, character death, slavery, etc), it is still a light read. It moves and carries you along in the rush of explosions, and confusion and emotions and Noise.

Unfortunately, sometimes that's a detriment. It moves a little too quickly sometimes, to the point where transitions from one scene to the next feels fairly contrived (same problem as book one). But that's okay - suspension of disbelief. It's not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the action.

I loved the scenes with Davy and Todd. Wow. Ness's portrayal of character is so spot on. He makes every character stay true to themselves, but transform and alter in such slight ways through little scenes that before you know it, the character has already changed. Beautiful bit of writing.
But sometimes, just like the scene transitions, the character change moves just a little too fast. I don't completely buy Todd's actions towards the women at the end. But suspension of disbelief, eh.

The duality of the Ask and Answer is quite the backdrop for this book. It's the reason why this book succeeds. Ness isn't afraid to take it away from an escape adventure to a war adventure. And it works. It really does. Setting the scene where both sides are almost sympathetic, showing the actions and how they can be misconstrued by the other side, etc. Very nicely done.

Again, I appreciated the literary references (I'm looking at you, blatant reference to Scarlet Letter).

Three and a half stars (which is actually really high praise from me as a second book in the trilogy) because of the strength of the story's progression and Ness's ability to show the characters in a different light.
Recommended to people who have read book one. But I would really recommend reading the first book now because I know the second book is better than the first. It's a series worth reading now, when before after just reading book one it was an okay series with potential. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
How do I even begin to say anything about this book? This whole series? These books are geared toward young adult books but they are so very much more. Civil war, genocide, power hungry leaders and gender lines. This writer takes all of those and somehow manages to write them down in a way that captures the readers attention and hearts.

Patrick Ness seems to be a master of making the reader go into a book expecting one thing and recieving something that will completely blow their minds. He is very fastly becoming one of my favorite authors.

If you have not tried this series. Please do.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
The excitement continues! The second book is just as action packed as the first, and ends with another tense cliff-hanger. On to Book Three! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,786,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible