The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book…

The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two (edition 2010)

by Patrick Ness

Title:The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction / Fantasy / American

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

English (116)  Dutch (2)  All languages (118)
"We are the choices we make.."

From the very start of this book it threw you into a gripping storyline, of wondering what will happen next. The same apprehension followed the reader all the way through the book. In stories you most often know who the main villain is, but in this one there were many contenders for that position. Two main sides in this book, however there was a third underlined. Three different worlds making themselves known to one another, and it was clear that they all wanted the same thing, to be in control of the world and make the other sides bow down before them.

Todd and Viola were thrown in to different sides, where they were spoon fed the other’s wickedness, to be brought up to take down the opposing side. However, their bonds and everything they went through, from the first book didn’t make this a very simple task at all. They wanted to get to the other, and they took every opportunity to try to find the other. In some cases this was a bad thing. That’s because it gave opportunities to apprehend the other, or get valuable information that the other needed.

This was a book that kept me on the edge of my seat, and in the dark about what was to happen next.. I really like that about a book!! Needless to say I can't wait to get my hands on the third and final part, to see just how everything will conclude! ( )
  Zarien | Nov 26, 2015 |
Great so far - pretty horrible opening scene showing "President" Prentiss in all his "get under your skin" glory.

Recently stole this back from my eldest daughter but now she's also returned Mockingjay... nightmare... what to read first in my limited reading time?!?

Finished now and certainly not disappointed. Excellent twists in plot and, in my opinion, Ness's greatest strength, character development and relationships. Loving the Mayor/President manipulations!

Roll on Monsters of Men. ( )
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
W H A T. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
The second volume in the Chaos Walking trilogy, this picks up almost seamlessly from the cliff-hanger at the end of The Knife of Never Letting Go. To understand what goes on in The Ask and the Answer, it is absolutely essential to have read the previous book, and again Patrick Ness submits the reader to another very intense read. The pace is slower than the first, but it's much more emotionally intense, and in places I was reminded of certain aspects of Star Wars and The Hunger Games; to say anything else about the plot would be to give details away accidentally, and there are lots of surprises in store. This is an equally nail-bitingly tense and highly thought-provoking novel about what is right and wrong and about the choices one makes in life, e.g. can inaction be classed as action? If I were a teacher, I would use the ethical debates resulting from this book to tie in with history lessons about WWI and 2, and I'm certain that's where the author got some of his inspiration from.

If you're constantly itching to pick up the book again, then you can be sure that you're on to a winner. Another completely absorbing read, I'm only waiting for my son to finish the final volume in the trilogy, Monsters of Men, to continue the story. ( )
  passion4reading | Aug 8, 2015 |
Book two in the Chaos Walking Trilogy The knife of never letting go was book 1). Whole trilogy dystopian. Superb story telling. Cliffhanger. Next book in trilogy is Monsters of Men . ( )
  DavidO1103 | May 24, 2015 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.
"You are either forgetting or do not know that we already fought a great war, a war to end all wars, at just about the time you would have been born. If any repeat of that can be avoided—" (p. 36)
She looks at me carefully. "Appeasement," she says. "That's what it's called. Appeasement. It's a slippery slope."
   "What does it mean?"
   "It means you want to work with the enemy. It means you'd rather join him than beat him, and it's a sure-fire way to stay beaten."
(p. 153)
"You've got to be practical," Mayor Ledger says, "even in the face of tyrants."
(p. 301)
"I was only following orders," the Mayor mocks. "The refuge of scoundrels since the dawn of time."
(p. 454)

We are the choices
we make: do I fight or join
with my enemy?

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible