The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book…

The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Patrick Ness

Title:The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction / Fantasy / American

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness (2009)

English (132)  Dutch (2)  All languages (134)
Review: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness.

This is the second book to the Chaos Walking Trilogy and it’s as great as the first but in a different way. The writing was sensational, well developed characters from the first book, and more than enough surprises to keep the story captivating. As in the first book Viola and Todd are in love, but they have been separated, so the story is told from two perspectives. The novel raises a ton of thought provoking questions in a scenario that feels forever frightening and all too real.

Through Viola we meet the healers, all women and a strict aggressive leader, Mistress Coyle. Unfortunately Viola takes to long to figure out Mistress Coyle isn’t the inspiration of hope she promises to be. Mistress Coyle is a fascinating clever character but wait until Mayor Prentiss, another interesting character, presents himself as the leader of the New World. These two characters are at opposite sides of the spectrum and when they go against each other it’s like two worlds colliding. (BOOM)

Through Todd we learn Haven surrendered to Mayor Prentiss and changed the town’s name to New Prentisstown and now he is President Prentiss. Because of this man is the reason Viola and Todd have been separated. As the story goes on the reader will see that by holding Viola hostage Pres. Prentiss can keep Todd in line and he tries to befriend Todd by pairing him up with his son, Davy. Davy was weak and his father didn’t even allow him to sleep in the house he slept in a room above the stable and Todd lived in a locked tower with the former Mayor and was released to do what the Mayor wanted and after he was returned to the tower.

There is also a field at the end of town where Prentiss has over a thousand Spackle prisoners who came from another World who didn’t look human. The Spackle’s were defeated by the towns people and when Prentiss took over they had no shelter, and lived behind a fenced out in the open with very little to eat. Prentiss gave Davy and Todd a job of checking on the Speckles everyday to give them little food and water in troughs. Todd felt bad for the way they were being treated but Davy was cruel to them.

As the story goes on the reader had to figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Viola was frustrated because she didn’t know who to believe and for awhile she thought Todd was turning against her. She soon was captured and free to roam with Mistress Coyle’s people hiding in the forest but she was not trusted to know what Coyle had planned. Then out of preparing for a War, Pres. Prentiss, Mistress Coyle and the healers, the towns people, the Speckle people from around the world came together and there was a massive uproar and the War began and Todd and Viola unite and take off on a horse away from the violence. So, who’s going to come out on top? …Find out in the third book of the Chaos Walking Trilogy…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Sep 26, 2016 |
I quickly moved on to the second book which I enjoyed as much as the first. Here things get much darker. Both main characters find themselves separated and trapped and starting to do things that are "evil". Who is right?, who is wrong - is there any morality to be held on to? ( )
  infjsarah | Sep 11, 2016 |
Really enjoying this increasingly dystopian world with actual character development. ( )
  kale.dyer | Aug 20, 2016 |
More like 3.75 stars...

So this was so much better than The Knife of Never Letting Go (TKNLG). I really enjoyed how much more I got to know Todd and Viola and I am really interested in how much of a role the Spackle are going to play in the story to come... If you enjoyed TKNLG then I think you would in enjoy TAATA. ( )
  wkeblejr | Aug 3, 2016 |
Once again, a rollercoaster of a book. However, I couldn't read this as fast as The Knife of Never Letting Go as there are some very violent scenes and I had to put it down and walk away from it. Definitely not for the faint-hearted! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
"Your noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.
"You are either forgetting or do not know that we already fought a great war, a war to end all wars, at just about the time you would have been born. If any repeat of that can be avoided—" (p. 36)
She looks at me carefully. "Appeasement," she says. "That's what it's called. Appeasement. It's a slippery slope."
   "What does it mean?"
   "It means you want to work with the enemy. It means you'd rather join him than beat him, and it's a sure-fire way to stay beaten."
(p. 153)
"You've got to be practical," Mayor Ledger says, "even in the face of tyrants."
(p. 301)
"I was only following orders," the Mayor mocks. "The refuge of scoundrels since the dawn of time."
(p. 454)

Science Fiction, Suspense
We are the choices
we make: do I fight or join
with my enemy?

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,707,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible