The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book…

The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two (edition 2010)

by Patrick Ness

Member:Eurekas
Title:The Ask and the Answer: Chaos Walking: Book Two
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction / Fantasy / American

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

English (125)  Dutch (2)  All languages (127)
Shazam-non stop action. I really could not put it down. Todd and Viola, so many things go wrong. They are the bravest characters, so young and unseasoned they keep trying falling and getting back up. This place is not what they had dreamed of. It is full of cowards, back stabbers, and liars. Who do they trust, which side is t he right one ? Many choices are made many are wrong, but they never fail each other. Ends with a cliffhanger. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
And so it begins again.

I opened Monsters of Men, a little guarded, a little leery.

And there it was. Back again with Todd and Viola and all that Noise. And I wonder what I’m getting myself into.

Because while I dashed my way through the first book, The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer was not exactly going the way I hoped. The first half of the book made me curiously angry. I was frustrated with how things were going. I don’t know quite how to go about writing a review of this second book without spoiling your fun with the trilogy, so this ‘review’ of The Ask and The Answer will be rather vague.

But oh… not just OH, but ARGH. How I railed against the first half of the book. As I think back now, I wonder if it was because I felt vested in Todd and Viola, that Patrick Ness has made me believe in them and their future in this bleak world. The middle book of a trilogy is never easy to read. It will never have the high of that first book, and there’s that anticipation of the final book, waiting for the big finish.

And now as I begin the final book, through that final push, I wonder why I waited. Okay, so it’s just a few days, but I actually waited to read this book. It’s been sitting on my library books shelf for a week. Maybe I just didn’t want to get off the ride? Desperate, violent and angry that it may be.

I can’t wait to see what else Patrick Ness has up his sleeve – both in Monsters of Men, and in his other books. ( )
  olduvai | Jan 19, 2016 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battle not with monsters lest you become a monster and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
For Patrick Gale
"Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
We are the choices we make.
"You are either forgetting or do not know that we already fought a great war, a war to end all wars, at just about the time you would have been born. If any repeat of that can be avoided—" (p. 36)
She looks at me carefully. "Appeasement," she says. "That's what it's called. Appeasement. It's a slippery slope."
   "What does it mean?"
   "It means you want to work with the enemy. It means you'd rather join him than beat him, and it's a sure-fire way to stay beaten."
(p. 153)
"You've got to be practical," Mayor Ledger says, "even in the face of tyrants."
(p. 301)
"I was only following orders," the Mayor mocks. "The refuge of scoundrels since the dawn of time."
(p. 454)

We are the choices
we make: do I fight or join
with my enemy?
(passion4reading)

Alternate chapters follow teenagers Todd and Viola, who become separated as the Mayor's oppressive new regime takes power in New Prentisstown, a space colony where residents can hear each other's thoughts.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763644900, 076364837X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,225,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible