Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

Deadeye Dick (1982)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: A much better Vonnegut novel involving a screwy family.
1980s (103)
Read (119)

English (15)  Danish (1)  All (16)
One of the Vonneguts I missed when it came out. Not his best, but that's okay with me. I like his style and there are always little gems scattered throughout. And he has a special way of riding the line between humor and heartbreak, which is where so much of real life happens. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
A witty, well written book! Poor Rudy - his life forever ruined by the power of a gun. The story is so interesting, and sad, I could hardly put it down! His dad was a good pal of Hitler? Flying a Nazi flag over his good ol' Midland City home? Which gets de-populated by a neutron bomb? Crazy! And interspersed in the story are some detailed recipes of Rudy's. Weird, huh? But it works, as only Vonnegut can do! Peepholes opening and closing. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
My favorite thing about this book is it reads just like my own inner monologue when I'm telling myself my own story (the concept of which also comes up in this book). And yet is seems so tightly written that the character and the story almost feel like a true memoir at times. Vonnegut seems to know the facts of Rudy Waltz's life so well that he calls back to earlier events and references so effortlessly and casually that it seems like it must be real. ( )
  Booktacular | Aug 16, 2014 |
Another great Vonnegut read. Equally humorous and tragic.

The poor, unfortunate Waltz family. Nothing ever seems to go right for any of them. ( )
  regularguy5mb | May 24, 2014 |
One of Vonnegut's best efforts. Very funny. ( )
  ZacharyFarina | Feb 6, 2014 |
For Jill
"Deadeye Dick," like "Barnacle Bill," is a nickname for a sailor.

Deadeye Dick is Kurt Vonnegut’s funny, chillingly satirical look at the death of innocence. Amid a true Vonnegutian host of horrors—a double murder, a fatal dose of radioactivity, a decapitation, an annihilation of a city by a neutron bomb—Rudy Waltz, aka Deadeye Dick, takes us along on a zany search for absolution and happiness. Here is a tale of crime and punishment that makes us rethink what we believe . . . and who we say we are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:11 -0400)

Amid the horrors of a double murder and a city's annihilation by a neutron bomb, Rudy Waltz, a.k.a. Deadeye Dick, takes the reader on a zany search for absolution and happiness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,776,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible