Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut

Hocus Pocus (1990)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut is a favorite author of mine, so I was eager to start reading (re-reading in some cases) his novels. I'm completely biased, a big Vonnegut fan, and I loved this one. This book is pretty bitter, lots of funny, and a look at the death of the American Dream. It ain’t pretty. ( )
  RonTyler | Aug 11, 2017 |
A pretty cynical and satirical view of what the future in the US will hold. Written as a first person account with the usually hysterical dark humor so common to Vonnegut. Given the results of the 2016 US election, this book might even be a bit prophetic, although not accurate in detail. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This is first person account of a fairly ordinary sap caught up in a series of events. The outlook is cynical, the main character is uninspiring, but there is a certain charm here. The main question of the book, which is never directly stated, seems to be something like, "Why do people continually have to be so stupid?" ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
As a long- term Vonnegut fan, I tried this work as an audiobook, but found it a difficult experience. (In fact, I couldn't make it through the first cassette tape). The content seemed cliché- ridden, and if ironic humor and satire was intended by the author, it didn't come through via the narrator's matter-of-fact reading of the text. In addition, the formatting of this particular audio cassette version (by "Brilliance Audio") requires the listener to channel the sound through a single speaker (since the cassettes were double-recorded to save space)... and sound from the other track leaked through as a constant distraction. I will try reading this book in print version; perhaps that's a more enjoyable experience. ( )
3 vote danielx | Jun 4, 2016 |
A Vietnam vet writes an odd, disjointed memoir. As in other Vonnegut novels, the story jumps around in time, focused on one slightly anti-establishment man in his later years who observes the world around him with a slightly alien gaze. I wasn’t too impressed with this one; there’s no plot, of course, and I didn’t like the main character or want to read about him. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
My name is Eugene Debs Hartke, and I was born in 1940.

Tarkington College, a small, exclusive college in upstate New York, is turned upside down when ten thousand prisoners from the maximum security prison across Lake Mohiga break out and head for the college.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible