Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut

Welcome to the Monkey House (1968)

by Kurt Vonnegut

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders (KafkaMaze)
    KafkaMaze: Very strong mix of satire and science fiction, much like Vonnegut. Mixes in some magical realism as well. Saunders cites Vonnegut as one of his two major influences.

English (46)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  All (48)
Another excellent collection of short stories, from the 1950's and 60's. Nice. ( )
  RonTyler | Aug 11, 2017 |
Welcome to the Monkey House
by Kurt Vonnegut.
July 24, 2017

“Welcome to the Monkey House,” is a mod podge of short stories written by the author Kurt Vonnegut. These stories have various genres and themes to them that make it intriguing to go from one story to the next. However, most of the stories have an underlining theme of “What If...” What if...we created a world where we were forced to be the same as everyone else? What if...we show a child that has been hardened by society how to be inspired to live? What if...we found a way to live on our own terms instead of nature's?

This, of course, brought to mind a comparison with the original “Twilight Zone,” episodes that were aired during the same time period as this anthology. In the original airing, Rod Serling would usually start with the phrase, “Imagine if you will...” followed by the backstory of the episode you were currently watching. In essence, this phrase is very similar to the “What if...” theme I found in Vonnegut's work.

Personally, my three favorite stories were, “Harrison Bergeron,” “The Foster Portfolio,” and “Unready to Wear.” I did like a lot of the other stories, but these three resonated with me and were the ones that I found the most interesting. If you do manage to get a copy and read through this, I hope that the stories make you ask the question “What If?” Not just to the stories in these pages, but to life in general.
  peacemonger84 | Jul 24, 2017 |
I often claim to prefer novels to short stories, but Vonnegut is a master of both and can always be looked to for an illustration of just how large a story can be communicated in such few words. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Probably the quintessential Vonnegut collection, for better and for worse, as nearly all of Kurt's styles and strengths and shortcomings are on full display here. There's quirky science fiction, there are wacky old coots, there are wartime dilemmas, and there are oodles of small stories set in small towns. From "Harrison Bergeron," his famous short story, to "New Dictionary," a dated-as-all-hell but lovingly written essay on how different dictionaries handle colloquialisms and informal words, Welcome to the Monkey House touches all bases. Largely forgettable, mostly enjoyable. ( )
  steve520 | Dec 10, 2016 |
A collection of Vonnegut's short stories published in the 1950s and 60s. All are excellent, most masterful. What's striking about many is the basically optimistic post-war view. in "Adam" Holocaust survivors have a life affirming baby - to be named after one of the many family members that didn't survive.

There are several stories that reflect Vonnegut's wartime experiences, some are science fiction with a dystopian slant. Survivors abound here. There are also warnings of what the consequences of industrialism and the coming computer age. ( )
  Hagelstein | Oct 10, 2016 |

"Beware of all enterprises
that require new clothes."—Thoreau
For
Knox Burger
—Ten days older than I am.
He has been a very good
father to me.
(Preface) Here it is, a retrospective exhibition of the shorter works of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.—and Vonnegut is still very much with us, and I am still very much Vonnegut.
Please do not combine this work with the Dutch works entitled "Welkom op de apenrots" and "Lange wandeling naar de eeuwigheid". The Dutch works comprise only selections of the stories in the English original.

Welcome to the Monkey House is a collection of Kurt Vonnegut’s shorter works. Originally printed in publications as diverse as The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and The Atlantic Monthly, these superb stories share Vonnegut’s audacious sense of humor and extraordinary range of creative vision.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:19 -0400)

A collection of twenty-five short works by the American author written between 1950 and 1968 and originally printed in a wide range of publications including "The Atlantic Monthly," "Esquire," and "Ladies' Home Journal."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible