Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

Galápagos (1985)

by Kurt Vonnegut

English (50)  Finnish (1)  All (51)
Terrible, mean spirited book lacking even a single likeable character and without a trace of humour. ( )
  amobogio | Apr 7, 2017 |
I read a lot of his stuff back when I was in college (in a previous century) and saw this book on a list of post-apocalypse novels, which I am collecting. It was more or less what I expected, sad, funny, very much in the style I remembered. His thesis here is that our species big brains are an evolutionary disadvantage, and the book follows this to a conclusion that is at once bizarre and entirely sensible. There are even a couple beloved old characters of his tossed in for good measure. Very happy I got this ( )
1 vote unclebob53703 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Esta novela tiene un estilo más sencillo y un ritmo más lento de lo habitual en Vonnegut (Por lo menos comparándolo con libros como El desayuno de los campeones) Se trata de una gran sátira que narra como la humanidad evoluciona para superar la causa de todos su problemas (su cerebro sobredimensionado, claro) y tiene detalles excelentes (por ejemplo, el de los asteriscos que se menciona en el anticipo) Por supuesto tiene los elementos habituales en otros libros de Vonnegut (incluyendo la mención a Kilgore Trout) y nos cuenta detalles fundamentales de la naturaleza humana (Como que pase lo que pase, la gente segurá riéndose con los pedos) ( )
  Alberto_MdH | Feb 8, 2017 |
I think Vonnegut is one of those authors that should be read by everyone at some point in their lives and that point largely differs for everyone. For me, the point might have passed where the overall theme of the book would have been novel and ensnaring. So, strictly from an analytical point, it's a good enough book with a simple theme, the value of humans/humanity. We're led along by a seemingly omnipresent narrator and introduced to characters that have quite a lot going on under the surface but it's also so briefly touched upon that it seemed pretty vague. Which kind of makes the point of the theme, neatly enough.

I don't know, I'm still a little undecided about this book. I didn't fall for it quite as much as I imagined I would but I liked it well enough.

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I liked it but a little zany at times ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsh, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart.

Anne Frank (1929-1945)
out to the American Wild West
from Indianapolis, Indiana,
in the summer of 1938

Mr Howie introduced us to real Indians
and had us sleep out-of-doors every night
and bury our dung,
and taught us how to ride horses,
and told us the names of many plants and animals,
and what they needed to do
in order to stay alive
and reproduce themselves.

One night Mr Howie scared us half to death
on purpose,
screaming like a wildcat near our camp.
A real wildcat screamed back.
The thing was:
One million years ago, back in A.D. 1986, Guayaquil was the chief seaport of the little South American democracy of Ecuador, whose capital was Quito, high in the Andes Mountains.
Mary had also taught that the human brain was the most admirable survival device yet produced by evolution. But now her own big brain was urging her to take the polyethylene garment bag from around a red evening dress in her closet in Guayaquil, and to wrap it around her head, thus depriving her cells of oxygen.
"I'll tell you what the human soul is, Mary," he whispered, his eyes closed. "Animals don't have one. It's the part of you that knows when your brain isn't working right. I always knew, Mary. There wasn't anything I could do about it, but I always knew."
As for the meaning of the courtship dance of the blue-footed boobies: The birds are huge molecules with bright blue feet and have no choice in the matter. By their very nature, they have to dance exactly like that.
Human beings used to be molecules which could do many, many different sorts of dances, or decline to dance at all - as they pleased. My mother could do the waltz, the tango, the rumba, the Charleston, the Lindy Hop, the jitterbug, the Watusi, and the twist. Father refused to do any dances, as was his privilege.
ISBN 0385333870 is for Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

Galápagos takes the reader back one million years, to A.D. 1986. A simple vacation cruise suddenly becomes an evolutionary journey. Thanks to an apocalypse, a small group of survivors stranded on the Galápagos Islands are about to become the progenitors of a brave, new, and totally different human race. In this inimitable novel, America’s master satirist looks at our world and shows us all that is sadly, madly awry–and all that is worth saving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

A small group of apocalypse survivors stranded on the Galapagos Islands are about to become the progenitors of a brave new human race. Vonnegut is a post-modern Mark Train. ... Galapagos is a madcap genealogical adventure.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible