Galapagos: A Novel (Delta Fiction) by Kurt…

Galapagos: A Novel (Delta Fiction) (original 1985; edition 1999)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:jscape2000
Title:Galapagos: A Novel (Delta Fiction)
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (1999), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 336 pages

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut (1985)

English (53)  Finnish (1)  All languages (54)
I liked it but a little zany at times ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
I think Vonnegut is one of those authors that should be read by everyone at some point in their lives and that point largely differs for everyone. For me, the point might have passed where the overall theme of the book would have been novel and ensnaring. So, strictly from an analytical point, it's a good enough book with a simple theme, the value of humans/humanity. We're led along by a seemingly omnipresent narrator and introduced to characters that have quite a lot going on under the surface but it's also so briefly touched upon that it seemed pretty vague. Which kind of makes the point of the theme, neatly enough.

I don't know, I'm still a little undecided about this book. I didn't fall for it quite as much as I imagined I would but I liked it well enough.

lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
I've kind of intentionally avoided Vonnegut since disliking the couple of books I read by him back in highschool. But, on the urging of many Vonnegut-fans, I agreed to read this one. Well, it was OK.
I might have really liked it if it had been about a fifth of the length it was. It really is a one-joke story, and it stretches out for far too long. It's also much too enamored with its own cleverness.
The concept is that it's narrated from the point of view of a ghost, a million years in the future. He reiterates, repeatedly, that the downfall of humanity was their big brains, and that now that the descendants of humanity have evolved into simple, seal-like creatures, there's no trouble.
And how did we get there? Well, back in the 80's (present, for this book) there was advertised a 'Nature Cruise of the Century' to the Galapagos Islands. It was supposed to be filled with all kinds of celebrities, but due to political and economic strife, most of the scheduled guests don't show up. The destined parents of future humanity are an odd, ragtag bunch... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This novel is written in the year 1, 001,986 by the ghost of Leon Trotsky Trout, son of Vonnegut’s fictional alter ego, Kilgore Trout. It looks back on the events of 1986 that completely changed the fate of the human race and blames our over-evolved big brains for most of our problems. In that year, a serious recession caused the collapse of most currencies and a highly contagious virus that caused all females to go sterile developed. The human species as we know it died out, and the only survivors were a handful of people who were stranded on Santa Rosalia, the northernmost island in the Galapagos Archipelago. Over the next million years humans evolved to make the most of their situation on the island, and the big brains that caused us so much trouble grew significantly smaller.

This is a strange novel, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from Vonnegut. I enjoyed the concept, the random facts about wildlife on the Galapagos Islands, and the dark humor. Each chapter was broken down into smaller sections, which made it an easy book to read. However, I didn’t love anything about the book, and was ready for it to end before it did. I’ve said before that I like Vonnegut’s nonfiction more than I like his fiction, and that opinion holds true here.
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Vonnegut kertoo ihmisen uuden evoluutiotarinan tulevaisuudessa kun pieni määrä ihmisiä haaksirikkoutuu Galapagossaarille miljoona vuotta nykyajasta eteenpäin.
Evoluution tuloksena on Toinen Jerusalem, jossa ihmisillä on evät ja on menetetty suurin ongelmien aiheuttaja: liian suuret aivot.
  trajala14 | Nov 27, 2015 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsh, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart.

Anne Frank (1929-1945)
out to the American Wild West
from Indianapolis, Indiana,
in the summer of 1938

Mr Howie introduced us to real Indians
and had us sleep out-of-doors every night
and bury our dung,
and taught us how to ride horses,
and told us the names of many plants and animals,
and what they needed to do
in order to stay alive
and reproduce themselves.

One night Mr Howie scared us half to death
on purpose,
screaming like a wildcat near our camp.
A real wildcat screamed back.
The thing was:
One million years ago, back in A.D. 1986, Guayaquil was the chief seaport of the little South American democracy of Ecuador, whose capital was Quito, high in the Andes Mountains.
Mary had also taught that the human brain was the most admirable survival device yet produced by evolution. But now her own big brain was urging her to take the polyethylene garment bag from around a red evening dress in her closet in Guayaquil, and to wrap it around her head, thus depriving her cells of oxygen.
"I'll tell you what the human soul is, Mary," he whispered, his eyes closed. "Animals don't have one. It's the part of you that knows when your brain isn't working right. I always knew, Mary. There wasn't anything I could do about it, but I always knew."
As for the meaning of the courtship dance of the blue-footed boobies: The birds are huge molecules with bright blue feet and have no choice in the matter. By their very nature, they have to dance exactly like that.
Human beings used to be molecules which could do many, many different sorts of dances, or decline to dance at all - as they pleased. My mother could do the waltz, the tango, the rumba, the Charleston, the Lindy Hop, the jitterbug, the Watusi, and the twist. Father refused to do any dances, as was his privilege.
ISBN 0385333870 is for Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

Galápagos takes the reader back one million years, to A.D. 1986. A simple vacation cruise suddenly becomes an evolutionary journey. Thanks to an apocalypse, a small group of survivors stranded on the Galápagos Islands are about to become the progenitors of a brave, new, and totally different human race. In this inimitable novel, America’s master satirist looks at our world and shows us all that is sadly, madly awry–and all that is worth saving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

A small group of apocalypse survivors stranded on the Galapagos Islands are about to become the progenitors of a brave new human race. Vonnegut is a post-modern Mark Train. ... Galapagos is a madcap genealogical adventure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,457,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible