A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

A Man Without a Country (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:booksandwine
Title:A Man Without a Country
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 160 pages

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut (2005)

Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 by Mark Twain (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The ranting of a disgruntled American humorist.
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (KayCliff)

English (65)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (67)
More relevant today than when it was first written. God Bless You, Kurt Vonnegut, the world needs you back! ( )
  5hrdrive | Mar 13, 2016 |
Just a guy talking about life and stuff. A mellow read. Good for getting a little perspective. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
3.5 stars (7/10) ( )
  averybird | Dec 28, 2015 |
A non-fiction book by Vonnegut. It was extremely well written like all his books. But Vonnegut is a pessimist who is very liberal and he talks about how people are ruining the earth and each other. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 5, 2015 |
Overall, this was a pretty depressing read. Vonnegut brings up a lot of things wrong in the world today. It is very pessimistic and snarky. However, he also discusses humanism in a way I found very enlightening. There were some snippets of humor in here, but I wouldn't classify this a humor book.

I like Vonnegut and typically agree with this ideas, but I just found this to be very heavy. I may revisit at some time in the future when I am in a different frame of mind. I would not recommend this as someone's introduction to Vonnegut. ( )
  AlbinoRhino | Jan 25, 2015 |
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 6, 2009)

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simon, DanielEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vonnegut, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized like the mafia.
As a kid I was the youngest member of my family, and the youngest child in any family is always a jokemaker, because a joke is the only way he can enter into an adult conversation.
If you live long enough, a lot of people close to you are going to die.
Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
Humor is an almost physiological response to fear.
And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.

In a collection of brief autobiographical essays, the renowned novelist offers his views on art, politics, and everyday life in America.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 158322713X, 1583227903

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,905,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible