A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

A Man Without a Country (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:booksandwine
Title:A Man Without a Country
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 160 pages

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut (2005)

English (64)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (66)
A non-fiction book by Vonnegut. It was extremely well written like all his books. But Vonnegut is a pessimist who is very liberal and he talks about how people are ruining the earth and each other. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 5, 2015 |
Overall, this was a pretty depressing read. Vonnegut brings up a lot of things wrong in the world today. It is very pessimistic and snarky. However, he also discusses humanism in a way I found very enlightening. There were some snippets of humor in here, but I wouldn't classify this a humor book.

I like Vonnegut and typically agree with this ideas, but I just found this to be very heavy. I may revisit at some time in the future when I am in a different frame of mind. I would not recommend this as someone's introduction to Vonnegut. ( )
  AlbinoRhino | Jan 25, 2015 |
I picked this up on a whim at the library and I couldn't have chosen a better read.

Vonnegut was a man that not only wrote about the bombing of Dresden in Slaughterhouse Five, but actually lived through it himself. Using that experience as a lens, he expresses his views on our current conflicts in the middle east. As you can imagine, he takes a hard line stance against warmongering and the glorification of killing. It's not a new perspective, but one that carries some weight while being incredibly interesting to read.

Along side said essays are his interesting musing on life and the human condition. I often find myself searching for meaning in life and welcome any new perspectives, regardless of how pessimistic they may be.

A very enjoyable read that I will be recommending to those that haven't already read it. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
I'm pretty sure this book is mainly read by people who are already fans of Kurt Vonnegut's work. I've never read a single thing he wrote, except I do see him quoted quite often on the Internet. This is a collection of... well, a pessimistic type might say it's a collection of old man rants. Vonnegut writes here about how pessimistic old age can make you, and it's a worry. I don't need much help imagining a dark future. I wonder if some people have it in us to be apocalyptic.

Anyhow, I picked this up wondering if I might enjoy reading his novels, and now I think I might. I'll expect the earlier work to have more humour. ( )
  LynleyS | Jun 20, 2014 |
For those who have read one or more of Vonnegut's books, this book will seem like a Cliff Notes summary of his thoughts. You may find that this book has little in new information or surprises. However, if you have not read one of his books before or are not familiar with his biography, this might be a good start. It reads like it is a series of short excerpts from an interview, but I would think that he wrote this himself.
Having spent many years in his hometown of Indianapolis, I could easily identify with his early recollections. The family name is still prominent from the architecture that bears the family name. There is a Museum/Library now in his name there.
I recently saw a professional production of an adaptation of three plays from [Welcome to the Monkey House] called 'Who Am I This Time and the Conundrums of Love." Like this book, he has a simple Midwestern common sense approach mixed in yet with a bit of fantasy. Somehow, he makes it work.
Was he the Twain for our times? He just might have been. ( )
  Forthwith | Mar 11, 2014 |
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 6, 2009)

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simon, DanielEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vonnegut, KurtIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized like the mafia.
As a kid I was the youngest member of my family, and the youngest child in any family is always a jokemaker, because a joke is the only way he can enter into an adult conversation.
If you live long enough, a lot of people close to you are going to die.
Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
Humor is an almost physiological response to fear.
And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.

In a collection of brief autobiographical essays, the renowned novelist offers his views on art, politics, and everyday life in America.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 158322713X, 1583227903

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,810,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible