Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Summer I Turned Pretty

by Jenny Han

Series: Summer Series (1)

Belly spends the summer she turns sixteen at the beach just like every other summer of her life, but this time things are very different.

English (111)  Spanish (1)  All languages (112)
I was hoping I'd enjoy this one more because To All the Boys I've Ever Loved was such a fun series. This one is much more immature and empty. The characters have no depth. Belly and her brother spend every summer at a beach house with their mother and her best friend's family. Belly has a crush on one of the sons in that family, Conrad, but never matures past a surface crush. There is a huge emphasis on looks over personality, (this shouldn't be surprising based on the title). The two characters that I actually wanted to spend time with are the moms, Susannah and Laurel. Unfortunately, we barely scratch the surface of their lives. The series continues, but I won't be reading the rest. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 1, 2020 |
“Would you rather live one perfect day over and over or live your life with no perfect days but just decent ones?”

This was good and then it was not. I loved this story so much but at some point the story just suddenly didn't feel like it for me. I guess I also have to include that I tried reading the second book in this series but I had to accept that that was just it for me.

I think this book might have been a good standalone book instead of a series because as a ya reader I really didn't seem to get intrigued by the plot enough to finish the series. Which is pretty sad since I adored the writing style and the characters were all so cute and I loved them to my hearts content. EXCEPT!! Belly. I got so annoyed of her and I don't even understand why. And with that being said I didn't ship her with any of the male love interests.

In the end, even though I generally did not like this book I loved the little details of the books. such as the quotes how the boys acted to Belly, the relationship of the boys to their mom, etc. This is a nice sweet book that might have been better, for me, if it was just a standalone.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p8IxRn-5M ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
didn't like it very much. i mean, who doesn't like conrad he's hot and all most of the time but my heart just hurt for jeremiah. and cam too? i don't really think she should be slut-shaming her best friend when she's going for an unattainable guy and leading on two others . belly which is kind of an ew nickname but whatever for sure does think that the world revolves around her, it's not pretty. i'm assuming she wore cam's sweatshirt all the time around the house just to make conrad jealous? but i guess the reason i liked this book was that it was quick and it did have some cute moments sprinkled throughout. ( )
  kkgautamm | Aug 19, 2020 |
The major strength of The Summer I Turned Pretty is its feel. Reading it, you really find yourself immersed in a sense of summertime. You can almost taste the salt water of the beach or the chlorine of the backyard pool, and it was a great book to read in the middle of the Australian winter because of that.

Han's portrayal of several of her minor characters is also good. Susannah and Laurel, the two mothers, are three-dimensional women with histories that go back long before they became parents and Jeremiah and Steven feel like realistic teenage boys, while still remaining likeable. Conrad, however, is so thinly drawn that it was impossible for me to see what Belly saw in him.

For me, however, the big issue was Belly herself. She's shallow, immature for her age and extraordinarily self-centred. This probably makes her a realistic character, but it doesn't make her a particularly likeable one. Her attitude towards both of her parents is callous and cold and her treatment of Cam is not much better.

I also didn't appreciate the premise, in that it's tied so heavily to appearances. It's obvious that Belly hasn't changed at all in terms of character – the many flashbacks show us that she's not grown much as a person since she was ten – so all of the changes in her life are tied to her being “pretty” now. Pretty, in the book, seems to involve being thin, wearing a D-cup, getting your braces off and replacing contacts with glasses. It's certainly not about prettiness of character.

The Summer I Turned Pretty is a light read best suited for public transport or a summer holiday. It's the first in a series that has a lot of fans, so if it seems like your thing, don't let my own lack of enthusiasm put you off.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Readable but ultimately disappointing due to a chicken-shit ending and lack of character development. ( )
  fionaanne | Dec 6, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

To the most important sister women in my life and especially Claire
To all the important sister women in my life and most especially Claire
I say, "I can't believe you're really here."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,674,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible