The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty (edition 2010)

by Jenny Han

Member:beccahall
Title:The Summer I Turned Pretty
Authors:Jenny Han
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Recently added bytaylortrubia, private library, mommakacie, HunterMiddle, margaraawr

This book was okay, but it definitely was not very memorable. The mixture of current events and past events makes this story a little confusing. Also, there were illegal drugs and underage drinking in the book that I did not think was necessary to the story line. The character's personalities were not very developed. I was hoping for something exciting to happen in the book, but it never did. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
First Posted on bellesbeautifulbooks.blospot.com

I have been in a reading slump lately, and I was just not reading like I usually do. I was reading MASSIVE books, or school books, and it was just not very enjoyable. I had absolutely no motivation to read, and I was starting to miss it. To combat the reading slump, I decided to pick up the fluffiest contemporary that I knew I would like, so I picked up The Summer I Turned Pretty. Just from the title you knew this was going to be really cheesy, but that was exactly what I wanted, so no complaints.

I really enjoyed Belly's character, and she was never overly annoying. Yes, she did think she was going to cry a lot, but I got over that. She did seem somewhat logical with her romances with the boys, and that is always a good thing. I never really had to groan to things she said, and she was pretty witty and snarky when it came down to it. I could really identify myself with her character, and I could [somewhat] understand the decisions she would make.

The story was not what I was expecting, and I really thought that the romance would be completely with the two brothers, but instead Belly met a boy, and had a fling with him. I adored how the two brothers were so protective over her, and they acted like overprotective big brothers (even if they were more than that to Belly). I thought the interactions between Jeremiah and Belly were fantastic.

On the romance, I thought it was very well done, and natural (no I love you on the first date). You could really see it develop as you would hope any high school romance would. Jenny Han really has a way with making romances feel real.

Lets be honest here, I want belly to end up with Jeremiah because he was never an ass-clown to her, and Jeremiah was always there for her. A good romance starts with a better friendship. ( )
  BelleBooks117 | Jul 26, 2014 |
This is the best summer book and my favorite series. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Rating 3.5

I mostly enjoyed this book. I liked the ending the best. It was a nice summery book.

Full review on my website www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
To the most important sister women in my life and especially Claire
I say, "I can't believe you're really here."

Belly spends the summer she turns sixteen at the beach just like every other summer of her life, but this time things are very different.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible