The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty (edition 2010)

by Jenny Han

Member:beccahall
Title:The Summer I Turned Pretty
Authors:Jenny Han
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

This is the best summer book and my favorite series. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Rating 3.5

I mostly enjoyed this book. I liked the ending the best. It was a nice summery book.

Full review on my website www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
This trilogy is a highly believable story about a girl who grows up summering with two boys, one of whom she just knows she'll someday marry. ( )
  heike6 | Oct 24, 2013 |
This book is about a girl name Isabel or Belly like everyone calls her.Every summer Belly her mom Laurel, and her brother Steven go to the same residence,known as Cousin's Beach , every summer with her moms long time friend Susannah and her two sons Conrad and Jeremiah. Every summer that they go to Cousin's Beach its the same but this summer its different because this is the summer that Belly turned pretty. When the book begins Belly and her mom and brother arrive at Cousin's. After she puts her suit cases in her room she goes to the pool and her brother,Conrad, and Jeremiah throw her to the pool and she gets mad and pulls Conrad inside the pool. After they dry up they go and eat dinner. At the dinner Susannah says hello to Belly and tells her that she looks beautiful and they star to eat. After they eat Susannah tells everyone that she is going to sleep. A few days later Belly's brother goes to see colleges. That same day Belly is invited to a party. At the party Belly meets a guy name Cam and he says that they had seen each other at a Greek convention. After they say bye to each other Belly gives Cam her number and they see each other a few times again before they go to a party with Conrad and Jeremiah. At the party Conrad gets in a fight and Belly has to live with the boys. A few days after the party Cam and Belly stop talking and around those days Conrad and Jeremiah get in a fight and Susannah tells them that she has cancer. At the end of the book Belly lives Cousin's Beach and a few moths later she talks with Conrad again.
I like this book because it is a fun book to read. I like the ending of the book because it show that they will be more books. I also like how Belly character grows a little more. I like how the author writes the book. Also how she describes things to you. I like that the author keeps you guessing of how the book is going to end. I like this book because its funny and it has a little bit of Drama. ( )
  GeraldyC.B1 | Oct 21, 2013 |
I see the reviews are mixed on this one, and my own opinion is a little mixed as well - there were somethings I really enjoyed about the book, and then other things that made me super angry.

Let's get the angry over with first So a supporting character in this book is sick. It's obvious to everybody except Belly, the main character, as far as I can tell, that she is sick, but she is pretending everything is fine, in the hopes of having a 'fun, normal' summer. I call BS. She and Belly's mother sneak off to doctor's appointments and treatments for the cancer that has quite obviously returned, and her children act out and mope and pretend-along, for the most part. And Belly (who's self-absorbed in a way I have personally known some teenage girls to be) doesn't even notice. So - major negative points for 1) Hiding Cancer from loved ones and family "to protect them"; 2)Doing a shitty job of hiding cancer, and then being surprised when loved ones act out, and 3) Belly being so goddamned blind about the whole thing, because she's caught up in her own love rectangle and unperfect summer of her dreams. End rant. For now. (But seriously, this is the 2nd book I've read in less than a month where a main character attempts to hide their cancer: WTF??)

Other than that, though, what did I think? I think I knew girls like Belly, and I understood her. I think wanting a perfect summer, like all the summers of your nostalgic memory (which were never perfect when they happened, but now have that gloss of forgotten fights and mis-remembered moods) is something I still deal with, every year, every Christmas, every holiday, every... Saturday. When I remember something with that had that haze of happiness, and want it to keep on happening, try to force it to happen, and only manage to screw things up even more? That's basically the story of my life. (Well, partially, anyways.) I think that's universal, and Han has done a great job of portraying that need, that yearning for easier times, for togetherness and bonding and ... just better than now times.

That's why the three stars, even with the spoiler. Because I understand that yearning a whole lot, and Han managed to keep me rooting for Belly, even though she didn't seem to be rooting for anybody but herself. Complicated, like I said.

NTE | Sep 20, 2013 |
To the most important sister women in my life and especially Claire
I say, "I can't believe you're really here."

Belly spends the summer she turns sixteen at the beach just like every other summer of her life, but this time things are very different.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible