The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty (edition 2010)

by Jenny Han

Member:beccahall
Title:The Summer I Turned Pretty
Authors:Jenny Han
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

English (77)  Spanish (1)  All languages (78)
This coming of age book didn't really thrill me. I never fully connected with Belly (Isabel) as I often found her selfish and immature, although I did quite like the boys, especially Jeremiah who was more friendly and approachable than his older brother, Conrad.

The story is set during the summer Belly turns sixteen with flashbacks to other summers spent at the beach house and while it deals with first love there is a sense of sadness pervading throughout the book. Even though I thought the book was average at best, I can understand why tweens would enjoy it. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |

HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
I had heard this author Jenny Han was a good author. This was the first of her books I have read, but I would probably read others. It was a sweet book and a fast read. It would a good book for middle school age readers, especially girls, since the main character deals with getting older and love and family. I would definitely recommend this to readers.
  KristenNevala | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book is not that great, if I read it at any other time I would have absolutely hated it!. I read it during the summer while lying in bed, or by the pool, and that was perfect for the book! It was just a fast, contemporary, kind of cute read. I did enjoy it at the time but I brushed a lot of things off, and chose to ignore others. Despite it’s flaws, I still enjoyed the book, surprisingly.

Belly is the main character, she is really annoying, selfish, and pretty pathetic all throughout the book. She has some serious issues she needs to work through, and a lot of growing up to do. I didn’t enjoy her relationships with any of the other characters, besides maybe Susannah.

Jenny Han, is a wonderful, skilled, writer, but she just didn’t hit the mark with this book. I am really looking forward to reading some of her other books, i’m sure they’re great!

While I don’t regret reading this book, be assured that I will not be reading any of the sequels. ( )
  BayleetheBookworm | Jan 4, 2016 |
I usually don't read this type of novel, but I saw Jenny Han at the National Book Festival and I was curious. She described her characters and writing process in a way I found unexpected. Her fans described how close they felt to the characters and how they saw themselves in her book. So, I wondered. After reading The Summer I Turned Pretty, I get it.

Belly is telling the story about the summer when she starting crossing over to young adulthood. She reflects on how her body matured a little faster than she was ready for. And at the same time how some people still see her as a child when she feels she is growing up. Sometimes she is self-conscious and worried about how others are looking at her. Sometime she is unaware of how others see her. The book is filled with these contradictions as she navigates what might be "the last summer" with her summer family (oldest child, Conrad, is heading to college). And realizes that this is also the first summer where she hasn't been the little sister just trailing the older boys around.

While nothing really happens in the book, Jenny Han really does fill the story with a real sense of what is like to be a girl becoming a woman. The angst that Belly feels when she is left behind when the boys go out and have fun. Being overprotected by parents and siblings enhancing the sense of alone-ness, separateness. The excitement of that first boyfriend. Feeling embarrassed when others don't see things the way you wish they did. Being annoyingly self-absorbed and boy obsessed. It all rings true to me.

I never spent any summers lazing about a beach house. But I could relate to the feelings described in this fun summer read. ( )
  sbecon | Sep 13, 2015 |
To the most important sister women in my life and especially Claire
I say, "I can't believe you're really here."

Belly spends the summer she turns sixteen at the beach just like every other summer of her life, but this time things are very different.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,990,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible