One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic…

One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, No. 1) (edition 2004)

by Beverly Connor

232None49,509 (3.91)20
Member:H_Bergee_Cooper
Title:One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, No. 1)
Authors:Beverly Connor
Info:Onyx (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Mystery

One Grave Too Many by Beverly Connor

Recently added byCorrineW, Dureo, jenzbaker, sanicki, ghlibrary, sunsetxcocktail, Lexxi, mystlover, private library, 2slye

And the award for most unusual boss goes to-- Diane Fallon at the RiverTrail Museum of Natural History in Georgia.

Fallon is a forensic anthropologist and the new director of the RiverTrail Museum in Rosewood, Georgia. Her life is sort of like a big game of chess. Her old flame Frank Duncan comes to her with a bone (literally) and she gets pulled into the investigation of the murder of a couple of Frank's friends even as the working with bones brings up bad and melancholy memories. At the same time as the murderer is trying to scare Fallon away, there are more political machinations going on at the museum against her too.

It's a great book, both stories complement each other, but don't tread on the other. There are unexpected twists and turns that are surprising but make sense, and the characters are awesome. They jump off the page and t hey're so real that I found myself rooting for some and despising others. (Probably as the author wanted). And whether 'good' or 'bad', they were all unique too.

This is a great start to a great forensic anthropologist/crime lab series. The PR says it could be compared to Patterson, Cornwell, personally I think it's significantly better than both. ( )
  DanieXJ | Feb 24, 2014 |
I really didn't think I would enjoy this book much when I started it. It's very similar to the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johannson and so I figured it would be boring to me.. I was wrong. It is similar in some aspects, but I really liked the characters. The story was well written and good too. I will definitely be adding this author and series to my list to read. ( )
  Barb_H | Jul 13, 2013 |
One Grave Too Many by Beverly Connor
Book #1 in the Diane Fallon series
4 Stars

Synopsis:
After returning home following a stint documenting crimes against humanity for a human rights organization, forensic anthropologist, Diane Fallon, disavows this type of work and becomes a museum curator. A detective friend asks her to examine a bone and determine whether it belongs to a missing girl. Diane soon finds herself embroiled in a murder investigation that may threaten her life while at the same time coping with the vicious world of academic politics.

Review:
This is a fast paced and absorbing read with some interesting forensics tidbits.
The lead character is strong and intelligent, and the supporting characters are well-developed; they do not merely blend into the background. There are several carefully interwoven plot lines but the story is never convoluted or confusing. There are plenty clues to the identity of the killer but they are not too obvious, and I did not manage to figure it out before it was revealed in the book, which is unusual for me.
Recommendation: This book is well worth the read. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Evidently this was the first Diane Fallon book. I think I would give the series another try just to see if things become smoother. I agree with the reviewer who thought there were too many characters and too many plot lines. It cluttered up the story. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Nov 18, 2012 |
One Grave Too Many by Beverly Connor is the first book in her series about Diane Fallon, a forensic anthropologist who, at the beginning of the book has decided to start over as the director of the Rivertrail Museum of Natural History. On the day of the museum’s grand opening, her former boyfriend, Detective Frank Duncan comes to her for help with a human bone found in the woods. Even though she has vowed not to get involved in this type of work again, it isn’t too long before she is helping Frank to hopefully clear the surviving member of a murdered family.

Along with this mystery, there is also something going on at the museum, someone is obviously trying to make Diane appear incompetent. A number of board members are pushing to have the museum moved as there is interest in developing the land into a golf course resort. Also Diane has not recovered from her last forensic job that had her working on mass graves in a small South American country.

It took me awhile to get into this book as the author juggled various plotlines and I wondered exactly where the story was going but eventually all the threads were gathered and entwined together. As the characters never really grabbed me and I actually found the academic politics more interesting than the murder plot, I doubt that I will be continuing on with the series.

For me, One Grave Too Many was a quick, light read that just didn’t quite satisfy. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 28, 2012 |
To Diane Trap
"His head isn't on straight."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451411196, Mass Market Paperback)

With spot-on details, a smart new voice, and ingenious plot twists, Beverly Connor has been compared to the hottest crime writers on the scene. Now, she ratchets up the suspense with a brand new series featuring one of today's most cunning and complex sleuths: forensic anthropologist Diane Fallon. Her new job as director of the RiverTrail Museum of Natural History in Georgia takes Diane out of the game-until a former love and a murdered family bring her back in.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:41 -0400)

Ex-forensic anthropologist, Diane Fallon, finds her past catching up to her when her former lover, Detective Frank Duncan, asks for her help in examining a bone he found in the woods, a grisly discovery that is linked to her family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible