Go Ask Malice: A Slayer's Diary (Buffy the…

Go Ask Malice: A Slayer's Diary (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

by Robert Joseph Levy

Faith's diary details the origin story of one of the most fascinating characters from the Buffyverse.

Parts of Faith's story are painful but realistic: growing up in near-poverty with a drunk, frequently absent mother who brings home abusive boyfriends (the latest of whom tries to molest Faith.) Unpopular and bullied at school and around her neighbourhood, Faith alienates her only friend when she saves him from getting beaten up in the boy's locker room and he sees a viciousness and rage in her that goes beyond fighting. She is placed in a strict foster home, where the grim caregivers hide a dark secret in the attic.

Faith's diary is gripping enough to stand on its own even without the supernatural elements. But this being Buffy the supernatural elements slowly emerge, and thankfully they are written just as compellingly. The vampires and demons are introduced slowly and effectively, but they aren't the only weird supernatural elements at hand.

Faith frequently flies into violent rages and blacks out, forgetting her actions. Is this a psychological trauma brought on by her childhood, or something else? She is plagued by nightmares where she is running through a gruesome forest littered with body parts, trying to protect a little girl. Who is the girl? Faith's imaginary friend from when she was little, Faith's "inner child" the innocent part of her splintered away from her main personality by the abuse she has suffered? Or someone or something else altogether?

Levy writes very well. Despite the diary format (which I am normally not fond of) this is beautifully written. The atmosphere of the dream sequences is shockingly creepy and the demonic villain is genuinely horrifying. Faith's voice is perfect and the story is by turns surprising and packs an emotional punch. Levy has a really good handle on the character and on the show - working in enough details from canon that it feels true to the show, yet giving Faith such a detailed and interesting backstory that it is completely enjoyable as a standalone novel. This is a tie-in product that is really worth reading. In fact, I would even recommend it to horror fans that don't watch Buffy. ( )
  catfantastic | Dec 19, 2013 |
Yeah, I definitely never thought I would ever read a TV tie-in book, but I picked this up at the library and found myself instantly absorbed. It's a surprisingly well-written and well-executed story, and really does the character justice. And a very very quick read.... :) ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
Media-tie in works are often a tricky thing. They're heavily controlled by those that control the franchise so usually don't have much opportunity to go beyond some very carefully drawn lines and have to be careful to reset to canon, which can make it very hard to allow characters to grow. This story however, manages to transcend the usual media-tie-in book.

The Faith voice in this diary narrative is pitch perfect; having read this book, I'm never going to forget it and consider it part of my personal canon for Faith. I felt that, yes, this is the character--these events explain the girl we met in Season Three of Buffy. The book made me feel for Faith, made her real to me as this young Bostonian teen from a rough neighborhood who would have good reason to feel envy and disdain for a Buffy. Wonderful backstory and read, a novel that is genuinely moving. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | May 23, 2010 |
Finally, "Buffy" fans get to find out where Faith really comes from. The book does an excellent job of creating a detailed backstory for Faith using hints from canon (the Boston connection, her mother, "5x5" and so on). It has a great "Faith voice" too. The author, Robert Joseph Levy, certainly seems to be familiar with the Boston area.

But it only gets four stars because he also has Faith saying that she's not into women. HAH. YEAH RIGHT. ( )
1 vote babydraco | Jun 1, 2007 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,637,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible