Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan

Love is the Higher Law (2009)

by David Levithan

Three young adults experience the unbelievable events of 9/11 in New York City and then try to deal with interpersonal relationships with friends, parents, siblings, and each other. Told from the perspective of each character in turn, the reader is presented with varying viewpoints and struggles as they occurred on 9/11. Claire, Peter, and Jasper each try to understand how their reactions (or lack of) to the the day’s tragedies can be resolved in order for them to continue on a life path that has worth. Levithan weaves together a touching trilogy of first-person remembrances culminating in an unexpected but hoped for ending that tries to bring closure to the hateful actions of a few (that affected thousands in so many differents ways). As Levithan states in his acknowledgments, this poignant story- though retold by many- provides young adult readers who were not around (or do not remember 9/11) with an understanding of the emotional diverseness of those involved… even if they were only on the periphery of the events. ( )
  MzzColby | Jan 3, 2015 |
I was young and living on the other side of the country at the time when 9/11 occurred, so it didn’t really affect me all that much, nor the war that occurred afterwards. I do remember watching a few films dedicated to the event years afterwards, but I can’t say that it was ever a very big part of my life. This is why I think books like this one are important, like David Levithan states himself in the end of the book. It shows those who were too young to understand what really happened that day. All of it – such as the way the air smelled or the way papers from the towers were blown all the way into Brooklyn. It’s those little things that make it real. This was a good, important book. It just didn’t hold me very well. It does make me think I should pick up another book on the topic sometime, one that really goes into detail what happened that day. The writing was good; it’s Levithan so the writing is always good and always holds a lot of meaning. There’s a lot you could grab form the words in this book. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 13, 2014 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-hN
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-hN ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 24, 2014 |
This is the first David Levithan novel I've read, apart from Will Grayson, Will Grayson, co-written with John Green.

It's interesting to hear about the experiences of those who were right there, near the Twin Towers on September 11, 2001, because as much news coverage as it got, I didn't know the smaller details, like how it was windy, and how papers from the offices ended up blowing around the streets: minutes from meetings, HR documents and so on, winding up in people's front yards. This was kind of creepy, so the book did as it set out to do - to put the reader right in that setting.

By part three, however, the book felt like too much of a giant rumination. But I can't really criticise it for that, because it's a YA novel after all, and I should've guessed from the title.

This book made me want to read a YA novel set in Christchurch during last year's earthquakes. I think it would have to be written by an author who's there, and who has stayed there, and I wonder if any have. ( )
  LynleyS | Feb 8, 2014 |
A deceptively thin novel which packs a huge wallop. A must-read for New Yorkers. A must-read for, well, anyone who remembers 9/11. And anyone who doesn't because they were too little.

One of the things I've liked about Levithan's previous books is his sense of goodness- of the rightness that lies under everything. He's kind of like L'Engle in that way. It's harder to tease out in this book, but it's ultimately a hopeful book, no matter that I wept throughout the whole thing.

'"I think if you were somehow able to measure the weight of human kindness, it would have weighed more on 9/11 than it ever had. On 9/11, all the hatred and murder could not compare with the weight of love, of bravery, of caring. I have to believe that. I honestly believe that. I think we saw the way humanity works on that day, and while some of it was horrifying, so much of it was good."

"That's totally fucked up," I said. '

A keeper. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
To Craig Walker (who was next to me on 9/11) and To Eliot Schrefer (who was across the table when I wrote most of this book)
My first thought is: My mother is dead.

First there is a Before, and then there is an After. . . .

The lives of three teens—Claire, Jasper, and Peter—are altered forever on September 11, 2001. Claire, a high school junior, has to get to her younger brother in his classroom. Jasper, a college sophomore from Brooklyn, wakes to his parents’ frantic calls from Korea, wondering if he’s okay. Peter, a classmate of Claire’s, has to make his way back to school as everything happens around him.

Here are three teens whose intertwining lives are reshaped by this catastrophic event. As each gets to know the other, their moments become wound around each other’s in a way that leads to new understandings, new friendships, and new levels of awareness for the world around them and the people close by.

David Levithan has written a novel of loss and grief, but also one of hope and redemption as his characters slowly learn to move forward in their lives, despite being changed forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

Three New York City teens express their reactions to the bombing of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, and its impact on their lives and the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,484,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible