Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan

Love is the Higher Law (2009)

by David Levithan

280None40,219 (4.05)9

Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-hN
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-hN ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 24, 2014 |
Well written and thought provoking. ( )
  kt.1908 | Oct 19, 2013 |
Well written and thought provoking. ( )
  kt.1908 | Oct 19, 2013 |
A deceptively thin novel which packs a huge wallop. A must-read for New Yorkers. A must-read for, well, anyone who remembers 9/11. And anyone who doesn't because they were too little.

One of the things I've liked about Levithan's previous books is his sense of goodness- of the rightness that lies under everything. He's kind of like L'Engle in that way. It's harder to tease out in this book, but it's ultimately a hopeful book, no matter that I wept throughout the whole thing.

'"I think if you were somehow able to measure the weight of human kindness, it would have weighed more on 9/11 than it ever had. On 9/11, all the hatred and murder could not compare with the weight of love, of bravery, of caring. I have to believe that. I honestly believe that. I think we saw the way humanity works on that day, and while some of it was horrifying, so much of it was good."

"That's totally fucked up," I said. '

A keeper. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
To Craig Walker (who was next to me on 9/11) and To Eliot Schrefer (who was across the table when I wrote most of this book)
My first thought is: My mother is dead.

First there is a Before, and then there is an After. . . .

The lives of three teens—Claire, Jasper, and Peter—are altered forever on September 11, 2001. Claire, a high school junior, has to get to her younger brother in his classroom. Jasper, a college sophomore from Brooklyn, wakes to his parents’ frantic calls from Korea, wondering if he’s okay. Peter, a classmate of Claire’s, has to make his way back to school as everything happens around him.

Here are three teens whose intertwining lives are reshaped by this catastrophic event. As each gets to know the other, their moments become wound around each other’s in a way that leads to new understandings, new friendships, and new levels of awareness for the world around them and the people close by.

David Levithan has written a novel of loss and grief, but also one of hope and redemption as his characters slowly learn to move forward in their lives, despite being changed forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:45 -0400)

Three New York City teens express their reactions to the bombing of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, and its impact on their lives and the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible