Last Day in Limbo by Peter O'Donnell

Last Day in Limbo

by Peter O'Donnell

I love this story. It's hard to review because I know it so well - I was anticipating a lot of the good bits, like Steve's puzzlement about the transmitter and Maude's attitude in the jungle. We get to see a couple glimpses of Network life, too. And some lovely action, in several settings. John Dall, Stephen and Dinah Collier, Lucifer, Tarrant, Maude, and one glimpse of Fraser being Fraser. Modesty darn near out of her depth. There are a lot of lovely scenes in this book. I was thinking that it would be a bad one to start with as an intro to Modesty - there are a lot of references and in-jokes. On the other hand, you would get an interesting overview of Modesty, with plenty of action and a good stand-alone story to hook you... It's definitely not my intro to Modesty, but it may be my favorite of the stories. It's been nagging at me for a while now, with scenes popping up on my head until I had to read it again. Now the question is, are the rest of the Modesty stories referenced in here going to demand to be read, or can I go on to other things? ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 15, 2011 |
Good old pulp fiction at it's best! ( )
  RistoZ | Jan 14, 2010 |
Another improbable but highly satisfying Modesty Blaise adventure, this time featuring her attempts to liberate the denizens of a modern-day slave camp nearly on her own. Introduces Danny Chavasse and Kim Crozier, and also features Maude Tiller, one of Willie Garvin's more interesting ladies. Lucifer and Stephen and Dinah Collier and John Dall are included in a tough grim adventure that is heavy on strategy and characterization and motivation. Even the humor is grim. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 14, 2007 |

Modesty's latest adventure takes place in the jungles of South America, where she and her loyal henchman, Willie Garvin, take on the evil Mistress of Limbo. The Mistress has enslaved the people of Limbo, including Modesty's friend Danny. After a failed kidnapping, Modesty learns of her friend's enslavement and sets out to rescue him and set Limbo free. In an adventure that spans London, Switzerland, and New York City, Modesty ends up in Guatemala, where the Mistress of Limbo has commanded that Modesty be sacrificed to the gods. With Willie at her side, Modesty must fight a Mayan priestess to free herself and the slaves on what will be the last day in Limbo.

Tia Benita, the crazy aunt of a man named Paxero, initiates a daring plan to kidnap Modesty Blaise, but the plan is upset by an unexpected argument between Willie Garvin and Paxero.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:53 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible