Fat Cat by Robin Brande

Fat Cat

by Robin Brande

Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski (kaledrina)
    Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another great story about a teen girl's weight loss -- and ultimate transformation. Very moving!

First, the concept of a girl (a high school junior) trying a "cave girl" experiment for the science fair struck me as wildly funny. Not because I don't think high school girls wouldn't try this; but because there is a huge "paleo" trend happening. I put this book on my to-read just for that concept alone.

Second, Robin Brande knows the subtle and complex layers of the female high school psyche. Yes, yes. She's female, so at some point, she was A) a girl, and B) in high school; but as adults we usually forget the complexity of the teenage years. Maybe she just remembers better than I do.

Third, her characters aren't perfect; but they aren't broken dolls, either. There's stress and angst and emotion that moves the story and Cat forward.

Finally, I have one complaint. Where does Cat find all the time for school, work, research, cooking for her family, exercise, and sleep? This is the one aspect that never rings true for me. This doesn't ruin the book for me (obviously); but I spent a large portion of the novel wondering if she carried a time-turner. ( )
  lesmel | Aug 25, 2013 |
For her Science class Cat decides to try and live like the cavemen did, so she modifies her diet radically and gives up all modern conveniences. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 13, 2013 |
I picked this book up because Meg Cabot praised it on her blog, and I was glad I did! Cat's struggles as an overweight but ambitious teen really struck home for me--and her struggle to survive (literally, at times!) her science project was riveting! I wish I could demonstrate the strength she shows in "living like a primiative homo erectus" for a year, but I just love my Pepsi Max a little bit too much.... ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. An unhappy and extremely overweight girl decides to take back her life and dramatically shed the weight by eating only those foods that would have been available to early hominids. Cat is a character that is so real and flawed that I couldn't help but relate to her. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 2, 2013 |
I read a review for this book more than 2 years ago that pretty much said great things. So, when I saw this at my library, I immediately picked it up. I'm so happy I did because I absolutely loved this book!

The book starts out with Cat getting an assignment, an assignment that is known around the school to give students a meltdown for how important it is for their grade. At the end of the year the students take their project to a science fair. For the assignment the students have to draw a picture and come up with a project from the picture.

Cat draws a picture of early hominids. So she decides that she is going to start living like the early hominids did. No processed food, no soda, no internet or TV. This is going to be hard for Cat because all she eats seems to be junk food. But she's determined because this year she is going to beat her ex best friend at this science fair.

I pretty much loved all the characters. I loved Cat and her best friend, Amanda, and even though Cat defines Matt as a jerk throughout most of the book, I also loved him.

This book is mostly about Cat eating healthy and getting back into shape. Since she can't use cars to get her around she ends up walking almost everywhere, and she starts cooking everything for herself. I loved reading about Cat's transformation.

I also loved reading about Cat's dating experiences. They're were plenty of time where I found myself laughing out loud. Which pretty much sums up the whole book. It's very funny and lighthearted, but also serious at times. I loved this book and I wish it got a little more attention. ( )
  taleofnight | Jan 12, 2013 |
For the real Matthew and Amanda,
For John, source of all my favorite boyfriend lines,
And for Caroline, a better best friend than any I could invent in a novel.
"You're all good little machines," Mr. Fizer told us.

Overweight teenage Catherine embarks on a high school science project in which she must emulate the ways of hominims, the earliest ancestors of human beings, by eating an all-natural diet and foregoing technology.

Robin Brande is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

57 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible