Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for…

Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of… (2009)

by Eugenia Bone

Clear, concise and scientific instructions on how to preserve just about any kind of food. It's not a book that one can read and absorb, though- it's a book that will need to be spread out on one's counter, getting spattered with tomato seeds and propped up on canisters. This belongs on any serious preserver's cookbook shelf. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Very easy to understand directions, very informative. Kind of limited in recipes. ( )
  jenny.whitman | Aug 9, 2012 |
I was looking forward to this one because I have grown a small amount of crops, and only tend to buy small amounts of fruits and veggies at farmer's markets, so I'm not interested in recipes that call for 100 pounds of tomatoes. However, there weren't that many recipes in here, lots of them call for butter (which I just plain don't like to exist in my jams) and many more were just not thrilling to me. ( )
  lemontwist | Sep 16, 2010 |
Really good book for anyone who wants to start "putting food by". The small batch angle makes beginning less daunting. The recipes are good, and the author's style is straightforward and approachable. ( )
  pdever | Oct 25, 2009 |
The combination of this book and the newspaper stories about spikes in jar and seed sales sent me to the hardware store to buy every Ball product before it sold out.

To Edward Giobbi and Lucille Shannon.
Between his tuna and her crabapple jelly,
I fell in love with canning.
I always walk to my local farmers' market on Saturdays reciting the mantra "I will not overbuy, I will not overbuy."

For anyone who's ever headed to their local farmers' market reciting the mantra "I will not overbuy" but has lumbered home with bags overflowing with delicious summer strawberries, zucchini blossoms, and tomatoes, or autumn apples, pears, and cauliflower, this book will be your saving grace.

Well-Preserved is a collection of 30 small batch preserving recipes and 90 recipes in which to use the preserved goods. Preserving recipes like Marinated Baby Artichokes are followed by recipes for dishes like Marinated Artichoke and Ricotta Pie and Sausages with Marinated Baby Artichokes; a Three-Citrus Marmelade recipe is followed by recipes for Chicken Wings Baked with Three-Citrus Marmelade, Shrmp with Three-Citrus Marmelade and Lime, and Crepes with Three-Citrus Marmelade, and so on.

In this book, Eugenia Bone, a New Yorker whose Italian father was forever canning everything from olives to tuna, describes the art of preserving in an accessible way. Though she covers traditional water bath and pressure canning in detail, she also shares simpler methods that allow you to preserve foods using low-tech options like oil-preserving, curing, and freezing. Bone clearly explains each technique so that you can rest assured your food is stable and safe.

With Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods, you will never again have a night when you open your cupboard or refrigerator and lament that there's "nothing to eat!" Instead, you'll be whipping up the seasons' best meals all year long.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:47 -0400)

Offers information on canning and preserving foods using traditional and new low-tech methods, along with recipes that feature preserved foods.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible