Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Her Fearful Symmetry

by Audrey Niffenegger

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (obscurelens, sruszala, lahochstetler)
    obscurelens: Story about twins and ghosts. Darker than Her Fearful Symmetry, but I think it's far better than this.
    lahochstetler: Gothic tales of devoted twin sisters, love, and death.
    Highgate Cemetery: Victorian Valhalla by Felix Barker (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For those who wish to know more about this book's setting, I highly recommend Barker's. It includes an essay on the history of Highgate, one on well-known burials, and has a section of wonderful photographs. Highgate is very unlike the manicured, geometrically laid-out modern cemeteries, and, if those are the only ones with which you are familiar, Barker gives you a sense of the atmosphere this young American women encountered.… (more)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (heidialice)
    heidialice: If you couldn't get enough of Martin and Marijke, or were hoping for a something a bit more like "The Time Traveler's Wife" try "The Gargoyle".
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (wegc)
    wegc: Both books are from the point of view of a ghost interacting with the real world, wanting love.
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    cataylor: Both books deal with a spirit trapped in the afterlife who observe the living.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (heidialice, Othemts)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon (Ciruelo)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both feature a single man with a devoted attachment to a graveyard and its restless ghost.
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Cecilturtle, krizia_lazaro)
    The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb (VictoriaPL)
    Rooms by Lauren Oliver (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also a ghost story combined with family drama
    Soulmates by Miranda Glover (HollyMS)
    Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels feature Highgate Cemetery.
    Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Death, family, ghosts.
    26a by Diana Evans (terran)
    Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers (Othemts)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books are about devoted sisters whose relationship turns sour with deadly results.
    The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman (Miranda_Paige)
    The River King by Alice Hoffman (Miranda_Paige)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (Ciruelo)

English (432)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Croatian (1)  All languages (441)
This book is...alright. It was interesting, if not a bit odd. However I like the characters and their internal struggles. Also, for me, the ending was sadly refreshing. What does that even mean? Like many others who read this I found myself feeling a little emotionally conflicted at the end. I might recommend this to to right person. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
While it started out as an interesting, if somewhat overdone, story of the children finding the last generation's mystery, it soon took a turn for the very weird indeed and the stranger and darker it got, the less I liked it. Twin sisters, long separated. One twin passes away and leaves her apartment to her twin's twin daughters. Enough twins yet? That part was fine, even if the twins at age 21 stiil dress alike and also act quite young. But as their personalities emerged, Julia became less and less likeable and Valentina harder and harder to fathom. Then add two very damaged neighbors and a ghost and it kinda all went downhill from there. Plus, besides having a cemetary nearby for creepy effect, I didn't see much in the whole Highgate plot.
  amyem58 | Oct 5, 2018 |
Though not as perfect as TTW, this is a fun, gothic read. Characters are wonderfully developed, settings are vividly brought to life. The story is somewhat obvious, but that does not make it any less pleasurable to read. Due to the London setting, this is a perfect time of year to read this book, as it is presently gray, gloomy and damp here! Shari, you will have to use your imagination as it is too hot in Florida now! LOL. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
This was certainly one strange read. The characters were not well drawn and somewhat like the ghost, vague and unreal. This book ended as a gothic horror story, which certainly was not the direction I thought the story was heading. I really enjoyed The Time Travellers Wife. This book is not as entertaining, although the story kept me reading. I am not sure who I would recommend the story to. It's worth reading just for the strangeness. One thing I took away is the desire to visit Highgate Cemetary someday. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Really great book. I was able to see some events in the book coming, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book. Very easy, quick read. Kept me quite engaged. Definitely plan on reading more books by this author. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Niffenegger’s story is written with a lightness of touch and with a great eye for the oddities of human behaviour.

Niffenegger has always identified loss as her main subject, but here at least it’s dissolution: the grim inevitability of decay. The theme of doubleness feeds into this. Valentina wants to break free of the controlling Julia and live her own life, but can she survive without her? Forced togetherness, the “fearful symmetry” of the title, can lead to a diminution of individual identity, a merging of personalities. Sometimes apartness is preferable.
added by riverwillow | editThe Times, John O'Connell (Oct 10, 2009)

Instead of fabricating ghosts and faux-Englishmen, it's a shame that Niffeneggers didn't just cut away all the cobwebby Halloween trappings and write a moving, realistic story about a man with OCD who is trapped for real, rather than ersatz, reasons in a flat overlooking a cemetery. She sustains a mood, but it is vaguely repellent, rather than enjoyably disquieting. Instead of a lingering, unforgettable ghost story, this is the novelistic equivalent of a cut-rate séance, a parlour game complete with Ouija boards and cheap theatrics, as unconvincing as knuckles rapping under tables

Niffenegger is an extraordinarily sensitive and accomplished writer, and Her Fearful Symmetry is a work of lovely delicacy... But Her Fearful Symmetry is not a book of great emotional force, not the way Time Traveler's Wife was.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Oct 5, 2009)

Mysteries and truths slowly unravel as the story progresses. The major plot resolves predictably, but its grim inevitability fits well with the genre, and a few more surprising twists produce an even more satisfying read than Niffenegger’s bestselling debut.

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Korhonen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She said, "I know what it's like to be dead.
I know what it is to be sad."
And she's making me feel like I've never been born.
—The Beatles
For Jean Pateman, with love
Elspeth died while Robert was standing in front of a vending machine watching tea shoot into a small paper cup.
As a historian he knew that any trove of documents has incendiary potential. So the boxes sat like unexploded ordinance on the floor of his bedroom and Robert did his best to ignore them.

A compelling novel about love and the power of life. Thetwins Julia and Valentina have an abnormally strong mutualband. On one day they get a letter from a British lawyer. Their auntElspeth Noblin, who they never met, is deceased and let herLondon apartment after her nichtjes.Nadat them from their surpriseare obtained, the girls decide to seize this opportunity for adventure andElspeth move to beautiful apartment, overlooking the Highgatecemetery in London. They learn the other occupants of the buildingknow, including Robert, the lover of their deceased Aunt Elspeth, whoall about the cemetery seems to know. Along, the girlsthat there is much life on Highgate. Especially their aunt seems her earthly life not to leave behind

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Een meeslepende roman over liefde en de kracht van het leven. De tweelingzusjes Julia en Valentina hebben een abnormaal sterke onderlinge band. Op een dag krijgen ze een brief van een Engelse advocaat. Hun tante Elspeth Noblin, die ze nooit ontmoet hebben, is overleden en laat haar Londense appartement na aan haar nichtjes.Nadat ze van hun verbazing bekomen zijn, besluiten de meisjes deze kans op avontuur te grijpen en te verhuizen naar Elspeths prachtige flat, die uitkijkt op de Highgate begraafplaats in Londen. Ze leren de andere bewoners van het gebouw kennen, onder wie Robert, de minnaar van hun overleden tante Elspeth, die alles over de begraafplaats lijkt te weten. Gaandeweg ontdekken de meisjes dat er nog veel leven is op Highgate. Vooral hun tante lijkt haar aardse leven niet goed achter zich te kunnen laten

When Elspeth Noblin dies, she leaves everything to the 20-year-old American twin daughters of her own long-estranged twin, Edie. Valentina and Julia, as enmeshed as Elspeth and Edie once were, move into Elspeth's London flat and through a series of developing relationships a crisis develops that could pull the twins apart.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,165,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible