Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Her Fearful Symmetry (edition 2010)

by Audrey Niffenegger

Member:trisweather
Title:Her Fearful Symmetry
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:twins, tvillinger, life choices, ghosts, spøgelser, OCD

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (obscurelens, sruszala, lahochstetler)
    obscurelens: Story about twins and ghosts. Darker than Her Fearful Symmetry, but I think it's far better than this.
    lahochstetler: Gothic tales of devoted twin sisters, love, and death.
    Highgate Cemetery: Victorian Valhalla by Felix Barker (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For those who wish to know more about this book's setting, I highly recommend Barker's. It includes an essay on the history of Highgate, one on well-known burials, and has a section of wonderful photographs. Highgate is very unlike the manicured, geometrically laid-out modern cemeteries, and, if those are the only ones with which you are familiar, Barker gives you a sense of the atmosphere this young American women encountered.… (more)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (heidialice)
    heidialice: If you couldn't get enough of Martin and Marijke, or were hoping for a something a bit more like "The Time Traveler's Wife" try "The Gargoyle".
    The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb (VictoriaPL)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    cataylor: Both books deal with a spirit trapped in the afterlife who observe the living.
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (wegc)
    wegc: Both books are from the point of view of a ghost interacting with the real world, wanting love.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (heidialice, Othemts)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon (Ciruelo)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Cecilturtle, krizia_lazaro)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both feature a single man with a devoted attachment to a graveyard and its restless ghost.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (sturlington)
    Soulmates by Miranda Glover (Hollerama)
    Charlie St. Cloud: A Novel by Ben Sherwood (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Death, family, ghosts.
    Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier (KayCliff)
    26a by Diana Evans (terran)
    Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers (Othemts)
    The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman (Miranda_Paige)
    The River King by Alice Hoffman (Miranda_Paige)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (Ciruelo)
    Beloved by Toni Morrison (Othemts)

English (380)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (388)
Really fascinating read. My interest in the writing grew slowly over the book. ( )
  jessicaofthebees | Aug 15, 2015 |
  valerietheblonde | Aug 5, 2015 |
Although completely different from TIME TRAVELLER’S WIFE this book was wonderful in its own way. What a good ghost story with a surprise twist at the end. My only comment on this book is that it went on one chapter too long. Sometimes the extra piece of information the author felt would complete the story is a little too much for my enjoyment of the book. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This is a ghost story, but not a good one. I couldn't really connect with the characters. I finished it hoping it would improve, but it didn't. If you enjoy the first 50 pages you will enjoy the rest, but I didn't enjoy it. Not up to the standard of the Time Traveller's Wife (TTW is one of my favorite books). ( )
  Neale | May 1, 2015 |
After giving myself a day or two's distance from this, I can give it a four. I loved her writing, as haphazard and slapdash as it was, moving here and there, inside of one person's head and immediately into another's. She sort of wrote like an artist, painting with words, flitting all over the place emotionally. It is one of those books that will stick with me, and because of that I feel like it is worth reading. But it was also strange, and often dark. I didn't like the suggestion that people who die are stuck, unable to move on. It was a very hopeless view of death. But she certainly pulled me into her world, and I like it when a book can do that. Very different than Time Traveler's Wife, but I can see similar themes. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Niffenegger’s story is written with a lightness of touch and with a great eye for the oddities of human behaviour.

Niffenegger has always identified loss as her main subject, but here at least it’s dissolution: the grim inevitability of decay. The theme of doubleness feeds into this. Valentina wants to break free of the controlling Julia and live her own life, but can she survive without her? Forced togetherness, the “fearful symmetry” of the title, can lead to a diminution of individual identity, a merging of personalities. Sometimes apartness is preferable.
added by riverwillow | editThe Times, John O'Connell (Oct 10, 2009)

Instead of fabricating ghosts and faux-Englishmen, it's a shame that Niffeneggers didn't just cut away all the cobwebby Halloween trappings and write a moving, realistic story about a man with OCD who is trapped for real, rather than ersatz, reasons in a flat overlooking a cemetery. She sustains a mood, but it is vaguely repellent, rather than enjoyably disquieting. Instead of a lingering, unforgettable ghost story, this is the novelistic equivalent of a cut-rate séance, a parlour game complete with Ouija boards and cheap theatrics, as unconvincing as knuckles rapping under tables

Niffenegger is an extraordinarily sensitive and accomplished writer, and Her Fearful Symmetry is a work of lovely delicacy... But Her Fearful Symmetry is not a book of great emotional force, not the way Time Traveler's Wife was.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Oct 5, 2009)

Mysteries and truths slowly unravel as the story progresses. The major plot resolves predictably, but its grim inevitability fits well with the genre, and a few more surprising twists produce an even more satisfying read than Niffenegger’s bestselling debut.

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Korhonen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She said, "I know what it's like to be dead.
I know what it is to be sad."
And she's making me feel like I've never been born.
--The Beatles
For Jean Pateman, with love
Elspeth died while Robert was standing in front of a vending machine watching tea shoot into a small paper cup.
As a historian he knew that any trove of documents has incendiary potential. So the boxes sat like unexploded ordinance on the floor of his bedroom and Robert did his best to ignore them.

A compelling novel about love and the power of life. Thetwins Julia and Valentina have an abnormally strong mutualband. On one day they get a letter from a British lawyer. Their auntElspeth Noblin, who they never met, is deceased and let herLondon apartment after her nichtjes.Nadat them from their surpriseare obtained, the girls decide to seize this opportunity for adventure andElspeth move to beautiful apartment, overlooking the Highgatecemetery in London. They learn the other occupants of the buildingknow, including Robert, the lover of their deceased Aunt Elspeth, whoall about the cemetery seems to know. Along, the girlsthat there is much life on Highgate. Especially their aunt seems her earthly life not to leave behind

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Een meeslepende roman over liefde en de kracht van het leven. De tweelingzusjes Julia en Valentina hebben een abnormaal sterke onderlinge band. Op een dag krijgen ze een brief van een Engelse advocaat. Hun tante Elspeth Noblin, die ze nooit ontmoet hebben, is overleden en laat haar Londense appartement na aan haar nichtjes.Nadat ze van hun verbazing bekomen zijn, besluiten de meisjes deze kans op avontuur te grijpen en te verhuizen naar Elspeths prachtige flat, die uitkijkt op de Highgate begraafplaats in Londen. Ze leren de andere bewoners van het gebouw kennen, onder wie Robert, de minnaar van hun overleden tante Elspeth, die alles over de begraafplaats lijkt te weten. Gaandeweg ontdekken de meisjes dat er nog veel leven is op Highgate. Vooral hun tante lijkt haar aardse leven niet goed achter zich te kunnen laten

After they inherit a London flat near Highgate Cemetery from their aunt Elspeth Noblin, two American twin teenagers move in, but they soon discover that much is still alive at Highgate, including, perhaps, their aunt, who can't seem to leave her old lifebehind.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible