Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Her Fearful Symmetry (edition 2010)

by Audrey Niffenegger

Member:AmyLC
Title:Her Fearful Symmetry
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:Scribner (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 406 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, ghosts, England, cemeteries

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (obscurelens, sruszala, lahochstetler)
    obscurelens: Story about twins and ghosts. Darker than Her Fearful Symmetry, but I think it's far better than this.
    lahochstetler: Gothic tales of devoted twin sisters, love, and death.
    Highgate Cemetery: Victorian Valhalla by Felix Barker (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For those who wish to know more about this book's setting, I highly recommend Barker's. It includes an essay on the history of Highgate, one on well-known burials, and has a section of wonderful photographs. Highgate is very unlike the manicured, geometrically laid-out modern cemeteries, and, if those are the only ones with which you are familiar, Barker gives you a sense of the atmosphere this young American women encountered.… (more)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (heidialice)
    heidialice: If you couldn't get enough of Martin and Marijke, or were hoping for a something a bit more like "The Time Traveler's Wife" try "The Gargoyle".
    The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb (VictoriaPL)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    cataylor: Both books deal with a spirit trapped in the afterlife who observe the living.
    A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (wegc)
    wegc: Both books are from the point of view of a ghost interacting with the real world, wanting love.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (heidialice, Othemts)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon (Ciruelo)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Cecilturtle, krizia_lazaro)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both feature a single man with a devoted attachment to a graveyard and its restless ghost.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (sturlington)
    Soulmates by Miranda Glover (Hollerama)
    Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier (KayCliff)
    Charlie St. Cloud: A Novel by Ben Sherwood (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Death, family, ghosts.
    26a by Diana Evans (terran)
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers (Othemts)
    The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman (Miranda_Paige)
    The River King by Alice Hoffman (Miranda_Paige)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (Ciruelo)

English (376)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (384)
I really wanted to love this book more than I did. There was so much potential since the author wrote The Time Traveler's Wife, you know the greatness is in there. It just didn't appear in this book. It was an interesting concept but, without giving anything away, there wasn't a moment when I was totally gobsmacked. And how badly I wanted to be. Unfortunately, I saw the twist so early on. I was in fact surprised it didn't come earlier with the Kitten of Death. There was just entirely too much foreshadowing that took place let alone too much that was completely far-fetched. I think that this book actually would have done much better set in a Victorian/Gothic setting. Modern day makes it too hard to be believe that if a person wants out of a relationship they can't just leave. Case in point: Marijke. Which brings me to the entire Martin storyline... why? I found it very interesting as a short story included in this novel. But I saw in no way that the characters of Martin and Marijke had any impact on the plot whatsoever. If you can forget about Time Traveler's Wife and all its greatness, then you will find this book enjoyable. ( )
  she_climber | Jan 21, 2015 |
I really enjoyed Time Traveler's Wife and found this one entertaining (at least enough to accompany me on runs), but not quite as good. It had lots of interesting and compelling components: identical twin girls, one of whom has identical twin girls, but a fall out has left the elder twins estranged... until, after death, the remote twin manages to lure the young twins away; a neighbor with OCD and agoraphobia, whose fed up wife abandons him, who could make a novel of his own; the remote older twin's young lover who feels lost after her death, but then gets caught up with the younger generation. Add a few ghosts and the ability to communicate with them. While it was entertaining and made me want to visit London (again) and Highgate Cemetery, the conclusion left me feeling empty about every single one of the characters although I'd initially enjoyed them. Hmm. ( )
1 vote asawyer | Dec 31, 2014 |
I liked the cozy atmosphere of this book. Strange, when you think it takes place next to a cemetery, but it was mostly cozy nonetheless. I also liked the sense of mystery, not just the fact that there are ghosts, but that there is a secret known only to the mother-aunt twins. In the beginning, I also liked the bond the twins had, until it became more clear that their relationship was actually majorly unhealthy. It was my hope that the move to London would improve that, but it didn't. Towards the end I got more and more dissatisfied with the majority of the characters. The timid twin's idea of how to become more independent is ridiculous, and several people actually cooperating instead of sending her to a psychiatrist is even more ridiculous. It felt completely unrealistic. I cannot believe that even an enormously selfish woman like Elspeth would consider killing her own daughter. And Robert may have been dominated by her, but that does not excuse his role either. Then the timid twin herself (forgot her name)! Her being this selfish and cruel does not seem to fit her character at all. With a different ending this could have been 4 stars for me, but now it feels like a 3.5. ( )
  zjakkelien | Dec 13, 2014 |
Very well-written and compelling to read. I loved the two sets of twins and the presence of mental fragility in some of the characters. It was also a beautifully rendered view of Highgate Cemetry and made me long for London, with it's many personalities.
I'm not usually taken by ghost stories, but for this one I will absolutely make an exception. ( )
  SallyApollon | Dec 7, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about this novel. On the one hand I read it quickly because I wanted to find out what happened, but on the other I found some of the characters' behaviour unbelievable. I just couldn't believe that the gruesome plan that's hatched in the last quarter or so of the book would be countenanced by its participants. If anything, it's sickening, and how any of them could see it as a feasible solution to a certain problem stretches credulity until it snaps. The only thing I could think was that the participants were selfish, stupid and/or weak to the extreme. I did find myself balking at reading the climax of that particular section. However, it wasn't as revolting as I feared it might be.

It's hard to warm to any of the characters, because all of them have traits that are irritating or they are plain stupid. While this does add a sense of realism - because who, in reality, is perfect? - the traits and stupidity did start getting on my nerves. But the setting of the novel is great - the old house overlooking Highgate Cemetary. I enjoyed learning about the history of Highgate and being given a glimpse of some of its fascinating stories. The writing is smooth and skilled, and the ghost of the novel is very different from the usual kind, being a strong and participating character in the story, not just a scary threat in the shadows.

I thought we were going to get a finish rather like 'The Monkey's Paw', and there is a short scene that seems to flag that that's the way it's heading, but then everything changes and the truly horrible becomes somewhat mundane. Still, it's an unusual tale, and I've not read anything like it, which is a great thing to be able to say about a book nowadays. ( )
1 vote Storm_Constantine | Nov 11, 2014 |
Niffenegger’s story is written with a lightness of touch and with a great eye for the oddities of human behaviour.

Instead of fabricating ghosts and faux-Englishmen, it's a shame that Niffeneggers didn't just cut away all the cobwebby Halloween trappings and write a moving, realistic story about a man with OCD who is trapped for real, rather than ersatz, reasons in a flat overlooking a cemetery. She sustains a mood, but it is vaguely repellent, rather than enjoyably disquieting. Instead of a lingering, unforgettable ghost story, this is the novelistic equivalent of a cut-rate séance, a parlour game complete with Ouija boards and cheap theatrics, as unconvincing as knuckles rapping under tables

Niffenegger has always identified loss as her main subject, but here at least it’s dissolution: the grim inevitability of decay. The theme of doubleness feeds into this. Valentina wants to break free of the controlling Julia and live her own life, but can she survive without her? Forced togetherness, the “fearful symmetry” of the title, can lead to a diminution of individual identity, a merging of personalities. Sometimes apartness is preferable.
added by riverwillow | editThe Times, John O'Connell (Oct 10, 2009)

Niffenegger is an extraordinarily sensitive and accomplished writer, and Her Fearful Symmetry is a work of lovely delicacy... But Her Fearful Symmetry is not a book of great emotional force, not the way Time Traveler's Wife was.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Oct 5, 2009)

Mysteries and truths slowly unravel as the story progresses. The major plot resolves predictably, but its grim inevitability fits well with the genre, and a few more surprising twists produce an even more satisfying read than Niffenegger’s bestselling debut.

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Korhonen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She said, "I know what it's like to be dead.
I know what it is to be sad."
And she's making me feel like I've never been born.
--The Beatles
For Jean Pateman, with love
Elspeth died while Robert was standing in front of a vending machine watching tea shoot into a small paper cup.
As a historian he knew that any trove of documents has incendiary potential. So the boxes sat like unexploded ordinance on the floor of his bedroom and Robert did his best to ignore them.

A compelling novel about love and the power of life. Thetwins Julia and Valentina have an abnormally strong mutualband. On one day they get a letter from a British lawyer. Their auntElspeth Noblin, who they never met, is deceased and let herLondon apartment after her nichtjes.Nadat them from their surpriseare obtained, the girls decide to seize this opportunity for adventure andElspeth move to beautiful apartment, overlooking the Highgatecemetery in London. They learn the other occupants of the buildingknow, including Robert, the lover of their deceased Aunt Elspeth, whoall about the cemetery seems to know. Along, the girlsthat there is much life on Highgate. Especially their aunt seems her earthly life not to leave behind

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Een meeslepende roman over liefde en de kracht van het leven. De tweelingzusjes Julia en Valentina hebben een abnormaal sterke onderlinge band. Op een dag krijgen ze een brief van een Engelse advocaat. Hun tante Elspeth Noblin, die ze nooit ontmoet hebben, is overleden en laat haar Londense appartement na aan haar nichtjes.Nadat ze van hun verbazing bekomen zijn, besluiten de meisjes deze kans op avontuur te grijpen en te verhuizen naar Elspeths prachtige flat, die uitkijkt op de Highgate begraafplaats in Londen. Ze leren de andere bewoners van het gebouw kennen, onder wie Robert, de minnaar van hun overleden tante Elspeth, die alles over de begraafplaats lijkt te weten. Gaandeweg ontdekken de meisjes dat er nog veel leven is op Highgate. Vooral hun tante lijkt haar aardse leven niet goed achter zich te kunnen laten

After they inherit a London flat near Highgate Cemetery from their aunt Elspeth Noblin, two American twin teenagers move in, but they soon discover that much is still alive at Highgate, including, perhaps, their aunt, who can't seem to leave her old lifebehind.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,772,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible