Just Do Something: How to Make a Decision…

Just Do Something: How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions,…

by Kevin DeYoung

Short and incisive, and dead on target. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book is brilliant. It blew me away, blew apart some of my life, and is possibly my most unexpected but useful and awesome book of the year. I reread it three times before writing this review, am rereading it again, and would encourage you to.

The book, to give it its full title of 'Just Do Something: A Liberating approach to finding God's Will OR How to make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Impressions, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky etc', is by a chap called Kevin DeYoung, and the foreword (Which is worth reading on its own!) is by Joshua Harris. Now, that may put you off. But please don't let it.

The basic premise of the books is that if we are living in a resurrection life, praying through stuff, living in step with the Spirit, and so on, then faffing about major decisions is foolish and unbiblical. The book is filled with biblical references to provide a backtrack for the argument. It demonstrates that God has shown us much of his will, and that we do need to just get on with it alot of the time. However, rather than carry on ranting, I will furnish you with some of the really resonant stories, anecdotes and quotes from the book. Then, when you have finished reading this, GO AND BUY A COPY. Well, maybe not, but you should.

'we need to be careful that we aren't using God as the trump card in all our decisions. Just because you pray doesn't mean your decisions are beyond objection... If we say "God told me to do this" or "God's leading me here", this puts our decisions out of reach from criticism or concerns' - This is brilliant to point out because this is very common, and God rarely does this. So we should stop hiding behind it.

'I'll never forget my poor beleaguered roommate talking with me after he took a risk and told a nice young lady that he liked her... He was pretty sure she would reciprocate his declaration of affection. But it turned out she wasn't interested. She was a sweet girl, a good Christian. She didn't mean to have bad theology. But instead of just saying "I'm not interested" or "I don't like you" or "Quit stalking me" or something she went all spiritual on him. "I've been praying alot about you", she demurred, "and the Holy Spirit told me no." "No?" my confused roommate asked. "No ... never", she replied. Poor Guy - he got rejected, not only by this sweet girl, but by the Holy Spirit. The third person of the Trinity took a break from pointing people to Jesus to tell this girl not to date my roommate... God's will is frequently employed as an excuse for difficult relationship decisions... If you aren't interested in dating or courtship or marriage or whatever, just say "No Thanks" or "Not now", but please don't make God the bad guy in your relational messes'. - This section had me cut to the core. So common to my own situation, to my own experience, and that of many around me. This book is right on the money.

'God's will for your life is not very complicated. Obviously, living a Christlike life is hard work, and what following Jesus entails is not clear in every situation. But as an overarching principle, the will of God for your life is pretty straightforward: Be holy like Jesus, by the power of the Spirit, for the glory of God'. - Amen. And wow.

(Regarding special revelations and visions) 'When he [Paul] did experience a special revelation, seeing a vision of a man calling him to Macedonia, he obeyed. But the special revelation of God was a rare and unique experience, even for Paul... Special revelation came at a time when God wanted to lead them apart from the normal ways in which His people make life choices'. Spot on. So brutal. So simple. So rational!

I leave you with the close of the book, one of the most liberating things I have ever read, and something that resonated in me to the core.

'So the end of the matter is this: Live for God. Obey the Scriptures. Think of others before yourself. Be holy. Love Jesus. And as you do these things, do whatever else you like, with whomever you like, wherever you like, and you'll be walking in the will of God'

WOW.

Cheers Kevin. Cheers God. Lets get on with it. Maybe you need to do something. I just sent a message to someone. What will you do? ( )
  Admiralcreedy | Nov 15, 2012 |
While I can fully understand DeYoung's intentions, the book is incredibly repetitive. What could have been said in the course of two or three chapters is dragged out for an entire book. I also gather the impression that he is preaching to the converted – his book would have been so much more helpful if it had been written for Pentecostal and charismatic brothers and sisters, rather than the Reformed who agree with him anyway. Finally, while I completely agree that we should not rely on any of these things to find out God's will when we have the Bible, I cannot fully deny that the Holy Spirit, may if he wishes, work in other ways: we should always test these things using the Bible and should never see them as being infallible, but he does not dwell on these things at all. We should not expect these things, and yet, they do at times happen. Wittily written and with plenty of healthy anecdotes. I would read more of his books. ( )
  m-andrews | Nov 5, 2012 |
This is the first book I've read in quite a while that, as I was reading it, I was thinking of all the people I'm eager to recommend it to. Everyone between the ages of 15 and 35 ought to read this right away, and everyone older would probably enjoy reading it at some point.

The book deals with the epidemic of indecision that exists among young people (35 and under) in the church today. DeYong's advice ("do something") is as Biblical as it is helpful. It's a delightful read full of laughs and sound counsel.

The Kindle version has some editorial errors and layout issues but is a great value at ~$6. ( )
  PaulM | Oct 5, 2010 |
A treatise on God's will and the ability of believers to understand it.

The author takes aim at the popular conception of "God's will" as often perceived among Evangelicals: trying to beg God to have Him tell them precisely what decision they should make between various options. Instead, the author demonstrates how God's will involves the sanctification of the believer, and therefore, when it comes to many major life decisions, it is more important to serve God in whatever circumstance the believer finds himself. Rather than, say, worrying about whether living in city x or city y is "God's will," one should seek to do God's will while living in city x or y.

The author is a confessed Calvinist, and so the predeterministic view comes out at times. On the whole, however, the book does well at showing the relationship between the believer and God's will. Certainly worth a consideration. ( )
  deusvitae | Oct 4, 2010 |

Hyper-spiritual approaches to finding God's will don't work. It's time to try something new: Give up.

Pastor and author Kevin DeYoung counsels Christians to settle down, make choices, and do the hard work of seeing those choices through. Too often, he writes, God's people tinker around with churches, jobs, and relationships, worrying that they haven't found God's perfect will for their lives. Or--even worse--they do absolutely nothing, stuck in a frustrated state of paralyzed indecision, waiting...waiting...waiting for clear, direct, unmistakable direction.

But God doesn't need to tell us what to do at each fork in the road. He's already revealed his plan for our lives: to love him with our whole hearts, to obey His Word, and after that, to do what we like.

No need for hocus-pocus. No reason to be directionally challenged. Just do something.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:21 -0400)

Counsels Christians to settle down, make choices, and do the hard work of seeing choices through.

153 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,009,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible