The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Mercer Mayer

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

by Mercer Mayer

I've read this prior to reading Homer Price by Robert McCloskey. His short story, Nothing New Under the Sun, is a modern version of Pied Piper. I love Mercer Mayer's illustrations and his version of the story makes for a great read aloud! ( )
  shaberstroh | Feb 15, 2014 |
The town of Hamelin is filled with rats, the rats whisper so the people cant concentrate. The king doesnt do anyting about it because all he does is eat. Pied Piper comes to town and says to the mayor if you pay me 50000 pieces of the kings silver i will get the rats out. So he plays his instrument and all the rats follow him to the bay and they all drowned. then the mayor refuses to pay him. So he decides to play his instrument and all the children in the town follow him and he locks then into a mountain. But the children have fun in there and like it better than being with there parents.

I enjoyed this book because i liked the plot and all the illistrutations in it. I thought it was a good but to read to young children.

I would read this book to my class. And have them summarize this book to me and what the moral of the story was.
  CathyEarhart | Feb 15, 2008 |
In this book, a town is infested with rats and the king will not do anything about them because the rats are not affecting him. All the king does is eat all the time and he does not worry about anything else. The Pied Piper comes to town one day and plays his flute while he is walking out of town and all the rats are following him. Since he did that, he demanded some money but the mayor would not give him the money so heplayed his flute again as he was walking out of town and all the children of the townspeople followed him. He put the children in a mountain and shut it, and they lived their the rest of their lives but they were happier in the magical mountain than they were with their parents. One extension I can think of, is to have the children make up their own story and at the end, find other things that the pied piper can have the children live in, like a magical castle, or in space. I would like to see all the ideas they come up with.
  MaggieLizz | Feb 14, 2008 |
This traditional fantasy is about a town that is plagued with the company of many rats. The town’s people threaten the mayor that something must be done about the rats, or else! The Pied Piper arrives with confidence that he can rid the town of the rats. His fee is 1000 pieces of the king’s silver. When the mayor and all the people refuse to pay him, he leers all of the children from the town.

I liked this story, it is new to me. I had never heard of this fairy-tale before I chose the book for this review. It also isn’t like any of the other ones that I have read; only the children lived happily ever after.

We would read another author’s version of this book; we would then compare and discuss the differences and the similarities of the two. I would also give the students a list of traditional fantasy books to choose from to create their own version of one. All of the stories would be bound into a book for my classroom library. The students will vote on their favorite story, we will turn it into a play and present it to the school. ( )
  shelbyweryavah | Feb 4, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0027653617, Library Binding)

The Pied Piper pipes the village free of rats, and when the villagers refuse to pay him for the service he pipes away their children as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:45 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible