Our King Has Horns by Richard Pevear

Our King Has Horns

by Richard Pevear (Adapter)

111820,536 (5)None

Summery: Many years ago, a king summoned a young barber to cut his hair. This had been done many times before, but once the barbers were summoned, they were never seen or heard from again. This is because they were thrown in jail because the King didn't want them to tell anyone about the horns on his head (usually hidden by his crown). This certain young barber made no mention of the horns while cutting the King's hair, and the King felt him trustworthy enough to release him. For many days the barber held in his secret, so much so that his belly swelled up. Finally the secret became too much to bare, so the barber whispered his secret into the ground. Not long after, a young man took the reed that grew from this area of dirt, and made it into a flute. Every times he blew into it, the flute would sing, "The King has horns!". He played it over and over all over town, and all the people heard about the king's secret. The king thought the barber had betrayed his trust, and ordered him to be killed. The barber denied telling anyone, and had the King summon the boy with the flute. He played it aloud once more, and the King became so angry that he threw off his crown. The barber goes on to tell the King that the truth is hard to hide, even under the best crown. The King cannot punish the barber for something he himself revealed, and decided to let him go.

Reflection: This is the first book that I have read for the class that I am not impressed with. Although it's a good lesson about honesty, I think it was a little long and could easily lose the attention of any child. I even had a hard time staying focused. The illustrations were well done, but I don't think this is a book I would read to a younger group of kids.

Extensions: I'd use this book as an oppertunity to talk about the importance of honesty. The children could make crowns, and decorate them as they see fit.
  michirenee87 | Jun 19, 2009 |

Pevear, RichardAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rayevsky, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Having discovered the king's horns while cutting his hair, a young barber is sworn to secrecy or he will lose his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,383,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible