When bad things happen to good people by…

When bad things happen to good people (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Harold S. Kushner

Title:When bad things happen to good people
Authors:Harold S. Kushner
Info:New York : Schocken Books, 1981.
Collections:Your library, Philosophy

When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner (1981)

Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancey (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Kushner's book just commiserates, Yancey offers a more uplifting message. He has studied pain and sorrow and tries to make sense of it.

I recently have had some tragedy in my life and this book helped. I was questioning things and this book put those questions in a proper prospective and helped me ask the "right" questions. ( )
  Nebraska_Girl1971 | May 12, 2014 |
I read this book for the first time about ten years ago. I was an atheist then and I'm an atheist now, but I still think that this is a fantastic book - especially for those who ARE spiritual.

As an atheist it's a fascinating look into the mind of the faithful and how they reconcile tragedy and god. I also think that I like the god described in this book a lot more than I like the evangelical's god ... anyway. Spiritual or atheist -- read this book. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
  cavlibrary | May 22, 2013 |
Good Reading! ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Excellent discussion of G-d's role or lack thereof in day-to-day life in Jewish terms. ( )
  JBGUSA | Mar 31, 2013 |
And David said: While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, Who knows whether the Lord will be gracious to me and the child will live. But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me. (II Samuel 12:22-23)
In Memory of Aaron Zev Kushner
There is only one question which really matters: why do bad things happen to good people?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380603926, Mass Market Paperback)

Rarely does a book come along that tackles a perennially difficult human issue with such clarity and intelligence. Harold Kushner, a Jewish rabbi facing his own child's fatal illness, deftly guides us through the inadequacies of the traditional answers to the problem of evil, then provides a uniquely practical and compassionate answer that has appealed to millions of readers across all religious creeds. Remarkable for its intensely relevant real-life examples and its fluid prose, this book cannot go unread by anyone who has ever been troubled by the question, "Why me?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

This book features Rabbi Kushner's perspective on how people can better deal with evil that enters their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,951,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible