The Cold Light of Mourning: A Mystery by…

The Cold Light of Mourning: A Mystery (edition 2009)

by Elizabeth J. Duncan

Member:martitia
Title:The Cold Light of Mourning: A Mystery
Authors:Elizabeth J. Duncan
Info:Minotaur Books (2009), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Wales, cozy mystery

The Cold Light of Mourning by Elizabeth J. Duncan

Great new series set in Wales. Will look to read more.

The picturesque North Wales market town of Llanelen is shocked when Meg Wynne Thompson, a self-made beauty who has turned out to be something of an unpopular bride, goes missing on her wedding day—and turns up dead.

The last person believed to have seen Meg alive is local manicurist Penny Brannigan, who vows to find the killer. Seems that several people—including those on the guest list—had reasons to wish Meg dead. But when the trail leads Penny to the groom, a red-hot secret threatens to shake the small town to its very core… ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
The Cold Light of Mourning by Elizabeth Duncan
Penny Bannington series Book #1
3 Stars

From The Book:
The picturesque North Wales market town of Llanelen is shocked when Meg Wynne Thompson, a self-made beauty who has turned out to be something of an unpopular bride, goes missing on her wedding day--and turns up dead.

The last person believed to have seen Meg alive is local manicurist Penny Brannigan, who vows to find the killer. Seems that several people--including those on the guest list--had reasons to wish Meg dead. But when the trail leads Penny to the groom, a red-hot secret threatens to shake the small town to its very core.

My Thoughts:
I picked the book for a challenge that I was participating in. I knew it was a cozy and they are not my favorites...so I really don't want to pick the book apart. I can only say that it was okay. It was too easy to figure out who one of the guilty parties was and the second person was someone who was in your face obvious once the author revealed the twist in the story. I didn't get the motive for the murder even after the author revealed it. Reading about changing appointment times and canceling appointments became rather mundane and repetitive stuff after the first few times of Penny re-scheduling clients so she could go off investigating just wasn't my cuppa tea. Those that really like cozy mysteries will probably like it a lot more than I did. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 17, 2017 |
I love a good cozy, so I was happy to discover an author and a series I hadn't yet read! Also lucky for me I was able to find the other books in the series just waiting for me on the shelf of my local library! Sorry to the other patrons who might want to check them out, I promise I will have them back soon! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Duncan, Elizabeth J.
The Cold Light of Mourning

Mystery
Located in the North of Wales, this tale of a runaway bride is both picturesque and suspenseful. The main character, the manicurist who polished the bride's nails on the morning of her wedding, gives the author the opportunity to invent very cute nail polish names: Altar Ego, Big Apple Red, Sonora Sunset. How about Pinkslip Pansy, Palsied Peach, Livid Lavender? A location junkie after reading M. C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series, I like mysteries set in or around Scotland, with weather uninviting and water treacherous. Throw in a dead body and there is no resisting. The Cold Light of Mourning is first in this Cornwall series, followed by A Brush With Death.
Recommended October 2010
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
This easy-to-read, cozy mystery was a first from this author. It has the same wit and charm that you find in Agatha Christie mysteries with a late middle-aged manicurist who finds herself in the middle of the mystery of a vanishing bride who was last seen at her nail salon. With a touch of romance, lots of twists and turns, and enough clues to help you possibly determine the murderer, it definitely keeps your attention. ( )
  Hanneri | Nov 28, 2014 |
Emma Teasdale had been ill for some time and on a cool evening in early June, alone and peacefully, she died.

Elizabeth J. Duncan spins a charming tale of murder and intrigue in this winning first novel.

The picturesque North Wales market town of Llanelen is shocked when Meg Wynne Thompson, a self-made beauty who has turned out to be something of an unpopular bride, goes missing on her wedding day…and turns up dead. The last person believed to have seen her is manicurist Penny Brannigan, an expatriate Canadian who has lived in North Wales for almost twenty-five years. When Penny notices that something is not quite right at the funeral of her dearest friend, she becomes emotionally invested in the case, and sets out to investigate.

It seems that several people, including the bride’s drunken, abusive father, had reasons to wish Meg dead, but when the trail leads to her groom’s home, an explosive secret will shake the small town.

With its bucolic Welsh setting and vivid, colorful characters, this mystery is sure to delight the most discerning of traditional-mystery fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:51 -0400)

The picturesque North Wales market town of Llanelen is shocked when Meg Wynne Thompson, a self-made beauty who has turned out to be something of an unpopular bride, goes missing on her wedding day, and turns up dead. The last person believed to have seen her is manicurist Penny Brannigan, an expatriate Canadian who has lived in North Wales for almost twenty-five years. When Penny notices that something is not quite right at the funeral of her dearest friend, she becomes emotionally invested in the case, and sets out to investigate. --from Publisher description (http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0906/2009004487-d.html)… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,172,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible