How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride by…

How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride

by Sally Lloyd-Jones

This story is fully from a child’s perspective; it is hilarious, interesting and very true. Every little girl dreams of their wedding, the day they get to be with someone they will spend the rest of their life with and be a princess. The little girl in this story goes through the steps of finding your ‘honey’ and each motion throughout a wedding. She talks about being nice to your husband, not pinching him or not yawning when they talk. She mentions important things about hygiene, saying that nobody will marry you if you don’t take a bath. This story leaves room opened for questions and an open dialogue with others. At one point in the story it says ‘usually you’re not allowed to marry lots of people at once, except sometimes you are.’ The story does not cater to a specific audience and it is inclusive of many different lifestyles. I feel like this speaks mountains to the reader to be overall accepting of all different types of marriages. Throughout the entire story the little girl, the bride, is wearing her wedding dress. This easily relates to younger reader, I know I loved to dress up and play pretend wedding when I was little. The story leaves room for readers to add in their own input about where they would like best to get married or what they would most like to wear. Overall in the end we see that she just is a little girl and her father picks her up from her friends’ house but this could encourage imaginative play. The illustrations throughout the story relate to the text and make for a humorous story adventure. ( )
  Kbenis1 | Sep 27, 2013 |
Well you can tell I have a daughter with this choice. Have to say I wasn’t too sure about this one when it was picked out and its probably not recommended if you want your daughter to actually understand marriage as it will definately give them funny ideas about who and what you can marry (which i think from this book is basically anything: people, animals and much much more.)

However, the book is actually hilarious. It is written in the way a toddler would talk, in the same sort of way that Lauren Child does so well in her Charlie & Lola books so we essentially have a small girl telling us about how to find a husband and how to get married with some quite bizarre ideas being put forward.

Seriously funny though it will no doubt raise some interesting questions for parents!

Dad’s Rating 8/10

Daughters Rating: A good book that tells you everything about marrying people! ( )
  storybookdad | Jan 6, 2011 |
This is the sort-of cute follow-up to "How to be a Baby." The characters aren't any less cute; the language reminds me a lot of the tone in Lauren Child's "Charlie and Lola" books. I guess I just didn't have pretend weddings as a child and that's why the central conceit of this picture book isn't resonating with me! I also think it might confuse children who have genuine questions about marriage and weddings, but maybe not! ( )
1 vote allawishus | Jun 29, 2009 |

Our know-it-all narrator is at it again, in this hilarious companion to the New York Times bestselling How to Be a Baby . . . by Me, the Big Sister. Take it from the six-year-old “bride-to-be”: No one will marry you if you don’t ever brush your hair and it looks like a bird’s nest back there. And never get married when it’s dark, because you might not see the groom, and marry the wrong person. When you have found your Own True Love, you must ask permission. “Can I marry you please?” you say. “Yes, please,” he says.

Here is the perfect book for kids who play pretend and throw mock weddings, and also for grown-ups who are actual brides-to-be. And don't miss the third installment in the How-to Series, How to Get a Job . . . By Me, the Boss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:03 -0400)

An all-knowing little girl teaches her friends how to get married, from picking the right mate to getting engaged to dancing at the wedding.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible