Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Beautiful Creatures

by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl

Series: The Caster Chronicles (1)

3,7713331,382 ()172

English (329)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (332)
I don't like to author bash or create mean shelf titles for books I don't like. I save my one-star reviews for books so unreadable it looks like a first-grader wrote them.

Yes, they do exist.

And that is the ONLY reason this book received two stars from me. It was not poorly edited, and the authors have a decent grasp of the English language.

Aside from that, this was utter rubbish. RUBBISH.

Now, I loved Twilight. I admit it. Yes, I was one of those people who fell hard for a story that was well thought out but not well written (though not poorly written). She admitted herself that her writing is not that great. But her storytelling is superb, in my opinion. You may not agree, and that's okay. Why am I bringing up Twilight, you ask?

Because I want to show that I am capable of loving this kind of book. I am not anti-YA, and I can tolerate some of the cheesiness.

But this book. Oh, THIS book.

I cannot add anything more than what has already been said. Ditto, ditto, ditto. Ditto to it all. The gender-confused narrator would have been fine if he had, in fact, been written as someone going through that experience as a subplot in the book (and might I say that this would have been far more interesting). I can't even make myself watch the movie in the hopes that it would be better than the book.

I hate speaking badly of a book. I know how hard it is to write a novel...to pour your blood, sweat, and tears into something that becomes as much a part of you as your vital organs.

And I mean no disrespect to the authors. I really don't. But.

BUT.

This was a very poor attempt at being original. Not only was it NOT original (except for a few small things that were interesting in concept but poorly executed), it was downright OFFENSIVE. I am from the South. I have lived here my entire life. I have met people and been to places that are as rural as you get. I cannot believe that there are people in existence who actually think this is an accurate depiction of the South. Epic fail, ladies.

The fact that I forced myself to finish the book should earn me something. I don't know, maybe chocolate or money. The point is that I rarely pull a DNF, so I tried very hard to make it through, skimming a lot near the end.

Since I hate writing negative reviews, I will try to end on a positive note. The cover art is beautiful. ( )
  AuthorLMGreen | Feb 12, 2015 |
Phew. I can’t believe I finally got through this and made it through all these pages. This was such an overhyped paranormal YA novel. Everything in the book had me cringing the whole way through; from the sad excuse of a male protagonist to the overall cliche-ness of the book. There are so many negative reviews surrounding this book, so why did I feel the urge to pick it up? Oh, that’s right, I don’t check reviews before reading a book. The reason is because reviews tend to ruin my opinion of the book. For example, before you start reading a book, you read a review that says that the author uses the word “shrugged” too many times. You go on to read the book and whenever the author uses “shrugged”, you think of the review and start applying all the negative things the review said to what your reading. That is the reason why I don’t read reviews before starting a book. Reading reviews before reading a book can affect and alter your own opinion. After I finish a book I like, I only read the positive reviews. After I finish a book I hate, I only read the negative reviews. This is so that the reviews don’t dissuade me from my opinion. I’m very swayable.

Anyway, back to the matter on hand. An overhyped cliché paranormal YA novel with a protagonist as male as a Victoria’s Secret Bombshell Eau de Parfum. Seriously. This story follows the same typical formula: Small town setting? Check. Boy and girl drawn to each other for mysterious reasons? Check. Teen uncovers other partner’s involvement with the paranormal world? Check. Both teens go through i-cant-be-with-you-because-its-forbidden phase? Check. Don’t even get me started on the male protagonist’s POV. It clearly wasn’t a success. Ethan Wate is boring and thinks he is better than everyone in the small Southern town of Gaitlin. He has a holier-than-thou attitude and an obsession with the new ‘hot’ girl who moves into town, Lena. I hated the whole ‘I don’t know why, but I know we’re meant to be together’ attitude. The girl just moved into town and he’s stuck to her like a goddamn wasp. Or is that a fly? Or a moth? Oh, spare me. Even Lena is more male than Ethan. Maybe I would’ve liked the book a bit more if it was from Lena’s point of view. Ethan keeps chasing her for unknown reasons even though she repeatedly tells him to stay away. To be honest, I would’ve gotten a restraining order a while ago.

Another issue I have with this book is that it’s too densely plotted. It’s a messy combination of paranormal, romance, and civil war era Southern love. All these elements horribly clash together and make for a long, drab book. The only slightly redeeming thing in this book was the ‘Caster’ concept. It was a bit lacking, but if a few adjustments were made then the book would’ve been considerably better. There was also the villain, Sarafine. She was a quite good villain—possibly my favourite character in the book. By favourite, I mean ‘hate-her-less-than-the-others’.

Overall, this book is nothing special. Deflated narrative, typical cliché instalove, and an extremely dense plot. This book was an excruciatingly long and boring read. I’d recommend it to you if you enjoy mental pain and tedious books—which I doubt you do. Even looking at the cover of this book hurts. Yep, I should totally bury it. My last words: Not. a. good. book.

Fin. ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Feb 7, 2015 |
Excellant! Already planning on who to pass it on to... ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
**MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

I actually seen parts of the movie before I picked up this book & was really interested in the world that was portrayed through the screenplay. Prior to reading Beautiful Creatures, I had looked on various websites & was really surprised to see how mixed the reviews were but as I got further into the book I began to understand.

Pro #1: For a good chunk of the book I actually really enjoyed the story & just became completely involved with the characters. I loved the fact that Beautiful Creatures is told from a male's point of view because I don't think that you get too much of that when you read YA. I loved that Ethan was such a well developed character and I felt that I could really understand what it was like for him to be pulled in 2 different directions. He struggles between being the all american good kid, basketball player in sort of this Stepford town and wanting to be his own person that loves to read. I, also, really enjoyed his relationship with Amma and how they both feed off each other's personality. They always knew how the other one would react to something or be able to anticipate the other one's actions.

Con #1: While reading the first part of the book I kept thinking that this was an automatic 5 star rating but the further I read into the book that began to change. While jumping from past to present was necessary to help develop the story line, there were times that I found some parts hard to follow and not really worth the time it probably took the authors to write it. As I continued on with the story there were a lot of points that seemed to drag problems out and I had to find the motivation to push through those boring points. It really is a let down when the book your reading has a strong start and instantly draws you in but toward the middle you can see where the excitement takes a turn. About 250 to 400 pages in the story just took a flat turn for me.

Pro #2: I'm not from SC but that is where I currently live. So, it was really awesome to read a book that the characters were from here and be knowledgeable of places that were referenced in Beautiful Creatures. In a lot of ways, the town of Gatlin reminded me of where I grew up and I think it's great to think about there being a whole other world that nobody knows about going on with in the place you think you know so well. I loved that in a matter of days the place that Ethan knew is whole life took on a mystery element to it and nobody seemed who they were supposed to be.

Con #1: Most young adult books do have young love in them but this particular story kind of just went beyond ridiculous for me. Lena is 15, Ethan is 16 & by the end of the book they are promising to never let go of one another! What? I understand that it's paranormal romance and young people fall in love all the time but just the fact Lena seems like the most helpless person without Ethan, bothered me to no end! The main problem I have with YA books is that they always seem to portray girls as these weak individuals who need a man to make it in the world. Which is completely horse shit!

I did enjoy the book as a whole but I think the last 200 pages was a let down. I'm not saying that I won't continue on with the series because I am interested to see how lives develop and characters grow. However, I honestly think that the movie was better than the book. It's rare that happens for me but in this case the changes made between the book and what I've seen of the movie, are positive ones for me. I think Beautiful Creatures is one of the books that the only way another person could understand how much you like it but at the same time want to throw it across the room, is if they read it for themselves. ( )
  justwordedlines | Jan 30, 2015 |
I read this a while ago, and all I remember is being thoroughly bored, annoyed, unimpressed, and did I mention bored?

And the movie? PAHA!

Aly's Brain says...

Suck it, insta-everything.
1 vote Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
The intensity of Ethan and Lena's need to be together is palpable, the detailed descriptions create a vivid, authentic world, and the allure of this story is the power of love. The satisfying conclusion is sure to lead directly into a sequel. Give this to fans of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" (Little, Brown, 2005) or HBO's "True Blood" series and they will devour all 600-plus pages of this teen Gothic romance.

The 600-plus pages could have been cut to make a tighter, better story. Despite the bulk, there’s plenty teens will like: romance, magic, hauntings, and the promise of more to come.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clark, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.

Martin Luther King Jr.
For
Nick & Stella
Emma, May & Kate
and
all our casters & outcasters, everywhere.
There are more of us than you think.
There were only two kinds of people in our town. "The stupid and the stuck," my father had affectionately classified our neighbors.
Sixteen moons, sixteen years                                 Sixteen of your deepest fears                                 Sixteen times you dreamed my tears                       Falling, falling through the years...
Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.
Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!                     Blood of my blood, protection is thine!
Cruor pectoris mei, tutela tua est!                           Blood of my heart, protection is thine!
CRUOR PECTORIS MEI, TUTELA TUA EST.                VITA VITAE MEAE, CORRIPIENS TUAM, CORRIPIENS MEAM.                                                                 CORPUS CORPORIS MEI, MEDULLA MENSQUE, ANIMA ANIMAE MEAE, ANIMAM NOSTRAM CONECTE.                                                            CRUOR PECTORIS MEI, LUNA MEA, AESTUS MEUS.   CROUR PECTORIS MEI. FATUM MEUM, MEA SALUS.

This book is told in a boy, Ethan Wate's, POV. He lives in a town, Gatlin, where nothing happens and nobody is different.
Ethan has been having these dreams about losing a girl who he thinks he is falling in love with. Which is crazy because he only knows her through a dream and she is probably not even real. Then suddenly a girl who is the town shut-in's niece moves to Gatlin and dares to be different. Her and Ethan seem to have an odd connection. This book is amazing and filled with adventure, suspense, and romance. It also has a lot of references to the book To Kill a Mockingbird.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316042676, Hardcover)

Ethan Wate is struggling to hide his apathy for his high school "in" crowd in small town Gatlin, South Carolina, until he meets the determinedly "out" Lena Duchannes, the girl of his dreams (literally--she has been in his nightmares for months). What follows is a smart, modern fantasy--a tale of star-crossed lovers and a dark, dangerous secret. Beautiful Creatures is a delicious southern Gothic that charms you from the first page, drawing you into a dark world of magic and mystery until you emerge gasping and blinking, wondering what happened to the last few hours (and how many more you're willing to give up). To tell too much of the plot would spoil the thrill of discovery, and believe me, you will want to uncover the secrets of this richly imagined dark fantasy on your own. --Daphne Durham

Amazon Exclusive Interview with Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Authors of Beautiful Creatures

What does your writing process look like? Is it tough to write a book together? Did you ever have any knock-down drag-out fights over a plot point or character trait?

Margie: The best way to describe our writing process is like a running stitch. We don't write separate chapters, or characters. We pass the draft back and forth constantly, and we actually write over each other's work, until we get to the point where we truly don't know who has written what.

Kami: By the end of the book, we don't even know. The classic example is when I said, "Marg, I really hate that line. It has to go." And she said, "Cut it. You wrote it."

Margie: I think we were friends for so long before we were writing partners that there was an unusual amount of trust from the start.

Kami: It's about respect. And it helps that we can't remember when who wrote the bad line.

Margie: We save our big fights for the important things, like the lack of ice in my house or how cold our office is. And why none of my YouTube videos are as popular as the one of Kami's three-fingered typing…okay, that one is understandable, given the page count for "Beautiful Creatures."

Kami: What can I say? I was saving the other seven fingers for the sequel.

What kinds of books do you like to read?

Kami: I read almost exclusively Young Adult fiction, with some Middle Grade fiction thrown in for good measure. As a Reading Specialist, I work with children and teens in grades K-12, so basically I read what they read.

Margie: When I write it comes from the same place as when I read: wanting to hang out with fictional characters in fictional worlds. I identify more as a reader than a writer; I just have to write it first so I can read it.

What books/authors have inspired you?

Kami: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "A Good Man is Hard to Find & Other Stories" by Flannery O'Connor, "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. I also love Pablo Neruda.

Margie: I think Harper Lee is the greatest writer alive today. Eudora Welty is my other Southern writer kindred; I was obsessed with her in grad school. Susan Cooper and Diana Wynne Jones made me love fantasy, and my favorite poets are Emily Dickinson (at Amherst College, I even lived on her street) and Stevie Smith.

Did you set out to write fiction for young adults? Why?

Kami: We actually wrote "Beautiful Creatures" on a dare from some of the teen readers in our lives.

Margie: Not so much readers as bosses.

Kami: Looking back, we wrote it sort of like the serialized fiction of Charles Dickens, turning in pages to our teen readers every week.

Margie: And by week she means day.

Kami: When we were getting texts in the middle of the night from teens demanding more pages, we knew we had to finish.

Margie: As it says in our acknowledgements, their asking what happened next changed what happened next. Teens are so authentic. That's probably why we love YA. Even when it's fantasy, it's the emotional truth.

A lot of us voracious readers like to cast a book after reading it. Did you guys have a shared view of who your characters are? Did each of you take a different character to develop, or did you share every aspect?

Kami: We've never cast our characters, but we definitely know what they look like. Sometimes we see actors in magazines and say, "Lena just wore that!"

Margie: We create all our characters together, but after a point they became as real as any of the other people we know. We forget they're not.

Kami: I never thought of it like that. I guess we do spend all our time talking about imaginary people. Margie: So long as it's not to them…

Did you always plan to start the book with Ethan's story? Why?

Kami: We knew before we started that we wanted to write from a boy's point of view. Margie and I both have brothers—-six, between us-—so it wasn't a stretch. It's an interesting experience to fall in love with the guy telling the story rather than the guy the story is about.

Margie: We do kind of love Ethan, so we wanted there to be more to him than just the boy from boy meets girl.

Kami: He's the guy who stands by you at all costs and accepts you for who you are, even if you aren't quite sure who that is.

What is on your nightstand now?

Kami: I have a huge stack, but here are ones at the top: "Mama Dip's Kitchen," a cookbook by Mildred Council, "The Demon's Lexicon" by Sarah Rees Brennan, "Shadowed Summer" by Saundra Mitchell, "Rampant" by Diana Peterfreund, and an Advanced Reader Copy of "Sisters Red" by Jackson Pearce.

Margie: I have Robin McKinley's "Beauty," Maggie Stiefvater's "Ballad," Kristen Cashore's "Fire," Libba Bray's "Going Bovine," and "Everything Is Fine" by AnnDee Ellis. And now I'm mad because I know a) Kami stole my "Rampant" and b) didn't tell me she has "Sisters Red"!

What is your idea of comfort reading?

Kami: If given the choice, I'll always reach for a paranormal romance or an urban fantasy. I also re-read my favorite books over and over.

Margie: It's all comfort reading to me. I sleep with books in my bed. Like a dog, only without the shedding and the smelling.

Have you written the next book already? What's next for Lena and Ethan?

Margie: We are revising the next book now. I don't want to give too much away, but summer in Gatlin isn't always a vacation.

Kami: I would describe book two as intense and emotional. For Ethan and Lena, the stakes are even higher.

Margie: That's true. Book two involves true love, broken hearts, the Seventeenth Moon, and cream-of-grief casseroles…

Kami: Gatlin at it's finest!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:00 -0400)

In a small South Carolina town, where it seems little has changed since the Civil War, sixteen-year-old Ethan is powerfully drawn to Lena, a new classmate with whom he shares a psychic connection and whose family hides a dark secret that may be revealed on her sixteenth birthday.… (more)

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141326085, 0141346140

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,673,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible