Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Beautiful Creatures

by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl

Series: The Caster Chronicles (1)

English (439)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (442)
I saw that they have made a movie of this book, and based on the movie trailer, I decided to read it before the movie came out. I made it just in time.

This book was pretty much what I expected. A teenage boy and girl fall in love and battle supernatural forces in order to stay together. My favorite character in the story was Amma, Ethan's housekeeper and grandma figure. She communes with spirits and has a voodoo vibe about her. I would love to read a book just about her. The scenes with her and Macon were probably my favorite scenes.

The story is set in the small town of Gaitlin. I have never lived in a small town, but it is hard for me to believe that the whole community would turn against one girl, like they do to Lena in the story. Seriously, a town hearing to get rid of her? That seemed crazy.

Another character I really liked was the librarian, Marian. And the secret supernatural library she tends. It is a neat concept. I wish there had been time to explore the relationship between her and Ethan's mother a little more. What exactly did his mom know about the supernatural side of Gaitlin?

I enjoyed this book. It wasn't the best book ever, but it was good. The final battle really captured my attention. The ending was a little too vague for my liking, but I understand there is a sequel and the authors want us to read it. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I liked that book a lot more than I expected. I'm glad I trusted the friend who liked it. I was sucked in the mystery from the beginning. I liked how there never was a lack of information even though we find out about Lena's world as fast as Ethan. The authors use already known lore--or tricks for lack of a better word--and use them for their purpose.
What prevents me to give it five stars are the too slow pace at times, especially in the first part. I know the mystery needed building but sometimes I thought it could go faster. And the descriptions weren't always clear to me. I don't know if it's the language barrier that rears up its head but in a lot of scenes, I would picture the characters in a certain setting, having a certain position on the "scene" but then the authors would write an action and I couldn't picture the scene anymore. It felt to me as if the authors had skipped one or two verbs to get to the action and made the scene confusing. Er, I hope I'm clear enough. I wouldn't be surprised if I were the one t oconfuse the readers here. Now onto the next book. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Started out pretty good, but once I hit the 400 page mark, it was a heavy slog through the end. Boring and repetitive as all get-out. ( )
  liannecollins | Apr 18, 2019 |
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever. Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. WhenLena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything. Amazon.com Review Ethan Wate is struggling to hide his apathy for his high school "in" crowd in small town Gatlin, South Carolina, until he meets the determinedly "out" Lena Duchannes, the girl of his dreams (literally--she has been in his nightmares for months). What follows is a smart, modern fantasy--a tale of star-crossed lovers and a dark, dangerous secret. Beautiful Creatures is a delicious southern Gothic that charms you from the first page, drawing you into a dark world of magic and mystery until you emerge gasping and blinking, wondering what happened to the last few hours (and how many more you're willing to give up). To tell too much of the plot would spoil the thrill of discovery, and believe me, you will want to uncover the secrets of this richly imagined dark fantasy on your own. --Daphne Durham Amazon Exclusive Interview with Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Authors of Beautiful Creatures What does your writing process look like? Is it tough to write a book together? Did you ever have any knock-down drag-out fights over a plot point or character trait? Margie: The best way to describe our writing process is like a running stitch. We don't write separate chapters, or characters. We pass the draft back and forth constantly, and we actually write over each other's work, until we get to the point where we truly don't know who has written what. Kami: By the end of the book, we don't even know. The classic example is when I said, "Marg, I really hate that line. It has to go." And she said, "Cut it. You wrote it." Margie: I think we were friends for so long before we were writing partners that there was an unusual amount of trust from the start. Kami: It's about respect. And it helps that we can't remember when who wrote the bad line. Margie: We save our big fights for the important things, like the lack of ice in my house or how cold our office is. And why none of my YouTube videos are as popular as the one of Kami's three-fingered typing…okay, that one is understandable, given the page count for "Beautiful Creatures." Kami: What can I say? I was saving the other seven fingers for the sequel. What kinds of books do you like to read? Kami: I read almost exclusively Young Adult fiction, with some Middle Grade fiction thrown in for good measure. As a Reading Specialist, I work with children and teens in grades K-12, so basically I read what they read. Margie: When I write it comes from the same place as when I read: wanting to hang out with fictional characters in fictional worlds. I identify more as a reader than a writer; I just have to write it first so I can read it. What books/authors have inspired you? Kami: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "A Good Man is Hard to Find & Other Stories" by Flannery O'Connor, "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. I also love Pablo Neruda. Margie: I think Harper Lee is the greatest writer alive today. Eudora Welty is my other Southern writer kindred; I was obsessed with her in grad school. Susan Cooper and Diana Wynne Jones made me love fantasy, and my favorite poets are Emily Dickinson (at Amherst College, I even lived on her street) and Stevie Smith. Did you set out to write fiction for young adults? Why? Kami: We actually wrote "Beautiful Creatures" on a dare from some of the teen readers in our lives. Margie: Not so much readers as bosses. Kami: Looking back, we wrote it sort of like the serialized fiction of Charles Dickens, turning in pages to our teen readers every week. Margie: And by week she means day. Kami: When we were getting texts in the middle of the night from teens demanding more pages, we knew we had to finish. Margie: As it says in our acknowledgements, their asking what happened next changed what happened next. Teens are so authentic. That's probably why we love YA. Even when it's fantasy, it's the emotional truth. A lot of us voracious readers like to cast a book after reading it. Did you guys have a shared view of who your characters are? Did each of you take a different character to develop, or did you share every aspect? Kami: We've never cast our characters, but we definitely know what they look like. Sometimes we see actors in magazines and say, "Lena just wore that!" Margie: We create all our characters together, but after a point they became as real as any of the other people we know. We forget they're not. Kami: I never thought of it like that. I guess we do spend all our time talking about imaginary people. Margie: So long as it's not to them… Did you always plan to start the book with Ethan's story? Why? Kami: We knew before we started that we wanted to write from a boy's point of view. Margie and I both have brothers—-six, between us-—so it wasn't a stretch. It's an interesting experience to fall in love with the guy telling the story rather than the guy the story is about. Margie: We do kind of love Ethan, so we wanted there to be more to him than just the boy from boy meets girl. Kami: He's the guy who stands by you at all costs and accepts you for who you are, even if you aren't quite sure who that is. What is on your nightstand now? Kami: I have a huge stack, but here are ones at the top: "Mama Dip's Kitchen," a cookbook by Mildred Council, "The Demon's Lexicon" by Sarah Rees Brennan, "Shadowed Summer" by Saundra Mitchell, "Rampant" by Diana Peterfreund, and an Advanced Reader Copy of "Sisters Red" by Jackson Pearce. Margie: I have Robin McKinley's "Beauty," Maggie Stiefvater's "Ballad," Kristen Cashore's "Fire," Libba Bray's "Going Bovine," and "Everything Is Fine" by AnnDee Ellis. And now I'm mad because I know a) Kami stole my "Rampant" and b) didn't tell me she has "Sisters Red"! What is your idea of comfort reading? Kami: If given the choice, I'll always reach for a paranormal romance or an urban fantasy. I also re-read my favorite books over and over. Margie: It's all comfort reading to me. I sleep with books in my bed. Like a dog, only without the shedding and the smelling. Have you written the next book already? What's next for Lena and Ethan? Margie: We are revising the next book now. I don't want to give too much away, but summer in Gatlin isn't always a vacation. Kami: I would describe book two as intense and emotional. For Ethan and Lena, the stakes are even higher. Margie: That's true. Book two involves true love, broken hearts, the Seventeenth Moon, and cream-of-grief casseroles… Kami: Gatlin at it's finest! From School Library Journal Grade 7 Up—Ethan Wate, a high school sophomore, plans to escape his small Southern town as soon as he can. Life has been difficult since his mother died; his father, a writer, has withdrawn into his study. Then Lena Duchannes arrives, and this strange new girl is the very one who has been occupying his dreams. She and her kin are Casters, beings who have supernatural powers. Getting to know her exposes Ethan to time travel, mortal danger, and love. The teens can hardly bear to be apart, but Lena's 16th birthday, when she will be Claimed for dark or light, is only 6 months away. To save her, they fight supernatural powers and the prejudice of closed-minded people. Yet, good and evil are not clearly delineated, nor are they necessarily at odds. In the Gothic tradition of Anne Rice, the authors evoke a dark, supernatural world in a seemingly simple town obsessed with Civil War reenactments and deeply loyal to its Confederate past. The intensity of Ethan and Lena's need to be together is palpable, the detailed descriptions create a vivid, authentic world, and the allure of this story is the power of love. The satisfying conclusion is sure to lead directly into a sequel. Give this to fans of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight (Little, Brown, 2005) or HBO's "True Blood" series and they will devour all 600-plus pages of this teen Gothic romance.—Amy J. Chow, The Brearley School, New York City
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

SUMMARY:
Is falling in love the beginning . . . or the end? Beautiful Creatures, a beautiful new young adult book by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl.In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets . . .There is a girl.Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head. Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes.There is a curse.On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been promised.And no one can stop it.In the end, there is a grave.Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.Ethan never even saw it coming.Web site: beautifulcreaturesthebook.com ( )
  buffygurl | Mar 8, 2019 |
In addition to the fact that I think this novel could have been edited down significantly as well as edited for random shifts in POV, I was also bothered by the madonna/whore complex evidently in play. The female protagonist dresses frumpily; this signifies she's good. In contrast, the mean girls and evil witches dress sexily, which clearly signifies they're bad. This was also played out in the film, which was disappointing. I think the authors had a lot of richness to work with and didn't need to resort such stereotyping. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
The intensity of Ethan and Lena's need to be together is palpable, the detailed descriptions create a vivid, authentic world, and the allure of this story is the power of love. The satisfying conclusion is sure to lead directly into a sequel. Give this to fans of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" (Little, Brown, 2005) or HBO's "True Blood" series and they will devour all 600-plus pages of this teen Gothic romance.

The 600-plus pages could have been cut to make a tighter, better story. Despite the bulk, there’s plenty teens will like: romance, magic, hauntings, and the promise of more to come.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bianco, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clark, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King Jr.
For
Nick & Stella
Emma, May & Kate
and
all our casters & outcasters, everywhere.
There are more of us than you think.
There were only two kinds of people in our town. "The stupid and the stuck," my father had affectionately classified our neighbors.
(p 6)

Sixteen moons, sixteen years
Sixteen of your deepest fears
Sixteen times you dreamed my tears
Falling, falling through the years...
(p 37)

Sixteen moons, sixteen years
Sixteen of your deepest fears
Sixteen times you dreamed my tears
Falling, falling through the years...
(p 266)

(p 267)

Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!

Blood of my blood, protection is thine!
(p 272)

Sixteen moons, sixteen years,
Sixteen times you dreamed my fears,
Sixteen will try to Bind the spheres,
Sixteen screams but just one hears . . .

In a small South Carolina town, where it seems little has changed since the Civil War, sixteen-year-old Ethan is powerfully drawn to Lena, a new classmate with whom he shares a psychic connection and whose family hides a dark secret that may be revealed on her sixteenth birthday. (Novelist).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316042676, Hardcover)

Kami: What can I say? I was saving the other seven fingers for the sequel.

What kinds of books do you like to read?

What books/authors have inspired you?

Did you set out to write fiction for young adults? Why?

Margie: Not so much readers as bosses.

Margie: And by week she means day.

Did you always plan to start the book with Ethan's story? Why?

What is on your nightstand now?

What is your idea of comfort reading?

Have you written the next book already? What's next for Lena and Ethan?

Kami: Gatlin at it's finest!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141326085, 0141346140

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible