Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Beautiful Creatures (edition 2009)

by Kami Garcia, David Caplan (Designer), Margaret Stohl (Author)

Member:norabelle414
Title:Beautiful Creatures
Authors:Kami Garcia (Author)
Other authors:David Caplan (Designer), Margaret Stohl (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:1860s, 2000s, borrowed, Civil War, curses, dreams, fantasy, fiction, high school, magic, paranormal, romance, South Carolina, witches, abandoned, female author

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

English (403)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (406)
Background: Ethan Wate is a small town southern boy who is just trying to get through high school and get out of town. Lena is not your average teenage girl and she has just moved into Ethan's town and she is starting to stir things up. Ethan and Lena realize there is a bond and link between them that they cannot deny, the only problem is that Lena only has a few months before she might turn evil and dark and she has no control over it.

Review: So bandwagon, yes! I have been seeing this series around for quite a while and now the movie is out so I felt I HAD to read the book before going to see it (even though I have heard that it is very different). I bought this book, began reading and realized I may not have the time to read a book that was not something I need to review for a tour and such, so I ended up grabbing the Audiobook from the Library and listening while I was at work. I am glad I did. The Audiobook was great. Multiple readers (male and female), music, sound effects (mini movie through my ears). I enjoyed it.

I have been out of the Caster Chronicles loop (obviously since I am just now reading them), so I never realized that the book was from Ethan's point of view, that was an interesting start. I was pleasantly surprised.

another note: This was a LONG book. I think that is the only issue I had with it. I really enjoyed the plot: good versus evil, what will you become if freewill does not exist for you... but the length. ARG.

I felt like a lot of things could have been cut out to get to the important stuff. Ethan is constantly dealing with small-town neighbor issues that are bothering Lena, Lena is angsty about her possible darkness, WE GET IT, things are about to go down, but for chapter after chapter :/

I must say that by the time I did get to the end I was excited and surprised by the ending. A lot of events I did not see coming, a few that I did, but big developments and now I cannot wait to read the next one. (and possibly go see the movie) ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Just okay. I won't be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
I had higher expectations for this, honestly, and was a little disappointed. The writing style was okay for me, but I did feel like the plot was drawn out and a little repetitive.

I didn't really like the personalities of the characters either.

What I did like was the idea and setting of this book, and I haven't seen the movie yet but I will! ( )
  CatherineHsu | Jun 8, 2016 |
Beautiful Creatures
Opinion—
If I were to rate this book it would be an 8-10. This is because I got confused in some parts of the story. The main characters are Ethan and Lena. In this story Ethan has dreams of a girl who slips away in his dreams. Lena has dreams of a boy and that boy is Ethan. Lena has to choose light or dark on her sixteenth birthday. If Lena chooses light the dark people in her family will die. If Lena chooses dark the light people in her family will die.
Summery—
Ethan Wate lives in a small town named Gatlin, south of Carolina. Ethan lives with his father and his caregiver Amma, his mother passed away not long ago. Ethan starts to have dreams of a girl but she slips away in his dreams. The next day Ethan and his friend link go to school. There is an announcement of a new student. The new student is Lena the niece of Macon Ravenwood. Ethan realized that is the girl in his dreams and Lena realizes that is the boy in her dreams. They start to spend lots of time together and with hat time together they begin to fall in love. The love is so strong they can communicate telepathically even when miles apart. She reveals that she is a caster and so is her family. Ethan isn’t surprised because of all the weird things happening. Lena also reveals that she will be “Claimed” on her sixteenth birthday just a few weeks away. Lena has no choice to become light or dark. Ethan does not accept and works his way around it. Lena’s family and Amma do not approve of the relationship. Then Lena’s family realizes that their love is strong and that they can face Lena’s mother. A dark force threatens Lena’s life horribly. Then she learns if she chooses light the dark members of her family will die even her uncle Macon who she loves a lot and won’t be able to have a physical relationship with Ethan. If Lena chooses dark the light members of her family will die. He blocks out the moon which is a vital part of the ceremony. Meanwhile Ethan is stabbed and killed. Lena uses a casting power to save Ethan’s life but she sacrefices her uncle Macon’s life. She has avoided the claiming altogether then Ethan realizes that is not the case.
  EthanO.B-4 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Beautiful creatures is a book about a girl who is a caster (witch). Her name is Lena Duchannes. She is a 15 year old girl. Lena has moved from different schools all around so people don't figure out her secret. Ethan Wate who goes to the same school as Lena, has been dreaming about Lena for a long time not knowing who she is. When he figures out that it is her he tells her. Lena has a hard time believing it. One day at school Lena gets so upset with Emily that she breaks the windows with her powers. Emily is one of the popular girls at school. So later in the book Ethan and Lena figure out that Lena has a curse on her that if she doesn't do something about it, she will turn evil at six-teen. So Lena and Ethan look in the spell book library to try to find how to crack the curse. Lena figures out that the only way the curse will break is to have someone that she loves to die. On her 16th birthday her uncle pretends to be Ethan and he dies and Lena thinks that he really is Ethan. So then Lena and Ethan meet again one day in the library, because Lena has made Ethan forget who she was. Well Ethan and Lena meet again in the library and they say the exact same words that they said the first time they met. Ethan is on the way to collage and he sees a sign that Lena burnt and he remembers who she is and he gets out of the car and screams her name.

I think that this is a great book. Beautiful Creatures is a good teen book. The book can get scary at times but it is mostly a love story. If one likes mystery, romance, and a little bit of scary i would definitlly recomend it for them. Beautiful Creatures is also a very good book if one wants to know what it is like to be different. ( )
  CaitlinA.B1 | Jun 2, 2016 |
The intensity of Ethan and Lena's need to be together is palpable, the detailed descriptions create a vivid, authentic world, and the allure of this story is the power of love. The satisfying conclusion is sure to lead directly into a sequel. Give this to fans of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" (Little, Brown, 2005) or HBO's "True Blood" series and they will devour all 600-plus pages of this teen Gothic romance.

The 600-plus pages could have been cut to make a tighter, better story. Despite the bulk, there’s plenty teens will like: romance, magic, hauntings, and the promise of more to come.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bianco, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clark, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King Jr.
For
Nick & Stella
Emma, May & Kate
and
all our casters & outcasters, everywhere.
There are more of us than you think.
There were only two kinds of people in our town. "The stupid and the stuck," my father had affectionately classified our neighbors.
(p 6)

Sixteen moons, sixteen years
Sixteen of your deepest fears
Sixteen times you dreamed my tears
Falling, falling through the years...
(p 37)

Sixteen moons, sixteen years
Sixteen of your deepest fears
Sixteen times you dreamed my tears
Falling, falling through the years...
(p 266)

(p 267)

Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!

Blood of my blood, protection is thine!
(p 272)

Sixteen moons, sixteen years,
Sixteen times you dreamed my fears,
Sixteen will try to Bind the spheres,
Sixteen screams but just one hears . . .

This book is told in a boy, Ethan Wate's, POV. He lives in a town, Gatlin, where nothing happens and nobody is different.
Ethan has been having these dreams about losing a girl who he thinks he is falling in love with. Which is crazy because he only knows her through a dream and she is probably not even real. Then suddenly a girl who is the town shut-in's niece moves to Gatlin and dares to be different. Her and Ethan seem to have an odd connection. This book is amazing and filled with adventure, suspense, and romance. It also has a lot of references to the book To Kill a Mockingbird.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316042676, Hardcover)

Ethan Wate is struggling to hide his apathy for his high school "in" crowd in small town Gatlin, South Carolina, until he meets the determinedly "out" Lena Duchannes, the girl of his dreams (literally--she has been in his nightmares for months). What follows is a smart, modern fantasy--a tale of star-crossed lovers and a dark, dangerous secret. Beautiful Creatures is a delicious southern Gothic that charms you from the first page, drawing you into a dark world of magic and mystery until you emerge gasping and blinking, wondering what happened to the last few hours (and how many more you're willing to give up). To tell too much of the plot would spoil the thrill of discovery, and believe me, you will want to uncover the secrets of this richly imagined dark fantasy on your own. --Daphne Durham

Amazon Exclusive Interview with Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Authors of Beautiful Creatures

What does your writing process look like? Is it tough to write a book together? Did you ever have any knock-down drag-out fights over a plot point or character trait?

Margie: The best way to describe our writing process is like a running stitch. We don't write separate chapters, or characters. We pass the draft back and forth constantly, and we actually write over each other's work, until we get to the point where we truly don't know who has written what.

Kami: By the end of the book, we don't even know. The classic example is when I said, "Marg, I really hate that line. It has to go." And she said, "Cut it. You wrote it."

Margie: I think we were friends for so long before we were writing partners that there was an unusual amount of trust from the start.

Kami: It's about respect. And it helps that we can't remember when who wrote the bad line.

Margie: We save our big fights for the important things, like the lack of ice in my house or how cold our office is. And why none of my YouTube videos are as popular as the one of Kami's three-fingered typing…okay, that one is understandable, given the page count for "Beautiful Creatures."

Kami: What can I say? I was saving the other seven fingers for the sequel.

What kinds of books do you like to read?

Kami: I read almost exclusively Young Adult fiction, with some Middle Grade fiction thrown in for good measure. As a Reading Specialist, I work with children and teens in grades K-12, so basically I read what they read.

Margie: When I write it comes from the same place as when I read: wanting to hang out with fictional characters in fictional worlds. I identify more as a reader than a writer; I just have to write it first so I can read it.

What books/authors have inspired you?

Kami: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "A Good Man is Hard to Find & Other Stories" by Flannery O'Connor, "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. I also love Pablo Neruda.

Margie: I think Harper Lee is the greatest writer alive today. Eudora Welty is my other Southern writer kindred; I was obsessed with her in grad school. Susan Cooper and Diana Wynne Jones made me love fantasy, and my favorite poets are Emily Dickinson (at Amherst College, I even lived on her street) and Stevie Smith.

Did you set out to write fiction for young adults? Why?

Kami: We actually wrote "Beautiful Creatures" on a dare from some of the teen readers in our lives.

Margie: Not so much readers as bosses.

Kami: Looking back, we wrote it sort of like the serialized fiction of Charles Dickens, turning in pages to our teen readers every week.

Margie: And by week she means day.

Kami: When we were getting texts in the middle of the night from teens demanding more pages, we knew we had to finish.

Margie: As it says in our acknowledgements, their asking what happened next changed what happened next. Teens are so authentic. That's probably why we love YA. Even when it's fantasy, it's the emotional truth.

A lot of us voracious readers like to cast a book after reading it. Did you guys have a shared view of who your characters are? Did each of you take a different character to develop, or did you share every aspect?

Kami: We've never cast our characters, but we definitely know what they look like. Sometimes we see actors in magazines and say, "Lena just wore that!"

Margie: We create all our characters together, but after a point they became as real as any of the other people we know. We forget they're not.

Kami: I never thought of it like that. I guess we do spend all our time talking about imaginary people. Margie: So long as it's not to them…

Did you always plan to start the book with Ethan's story? Why?

Kami: We knew before we started that we wanted to write from a boy's point of view. Margie and I both have brothers—-six, between us-—so it wasn't a stretch. It's an interesting experience to fall in love with the guy telling the story rather than the guy the story is about.

Margie: We do kind of love Ethan, so we wanted there to be more to him than just the boy from boy meets girl.

Kami: He's the guy who stands by you at all costs and accepts you for who you are, even if you aren't quite sure who that is.

What is on your nightstand now?

Kami: I have a huge stack, but here are ones at the top: "Mama Dip's Kitchen," a cookbook by Mildred Council, "The Demon's Lexicon" by Sarah Rees Brennan, "Shadowed Summer" by Saundra Mitchell, "Rampant" by Diana Peterfreund, and an Advanced Reader Copy of "Sisters Red" by Jackson Pearce.

Margie: I have Robin McKinley's "Beauty," Maggie Stiefvater's "Ballad," Kristen Cashore's "Fire," Libba Bray's "Going Bovine," and "Everything Is Fine" by AnnDee Ellis. And now I'm mad because I know a) Kami stole my "Rampant" and b) didn't tell me she has "Sisters Red"!

What is your idea of comfort reading?

Kami: If given the choice, I'll always reach for a paranormal romance or an urban fantasy. I also re-read my favorite books over and over.

Margie: It's all comfort reading to me. I sleep with books in my bed. Like a dog, only without the shedding and the smelling.

Have you written the next book already? What's next for Lena and Ethan?

Margie: We are revising the next book now. I don't want to give too much away, but summer in Gatlin isn't always a vacation.

Kami: I would describe book two as intense and emotional. For Ethan and Lena, the stakes are even higher.

Margie: That's true. Book two involves true love, broken hearts, the Seventeenth Moon, and cream-of-grief casseroles…

Kami: Gatlin at it's finest!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

In a small South Carolina town, where it seems little has changed since the Civil War, sixteen-year-old Ethan is powerfully drawn to Lena, a new classmate with whom he shares a psychic connection and whose family hides a dark secret that may be revealed on her sixteenth birthday.… (more)

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141326085, 0141346140

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,267,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible