Beautiful Creatures. by Kami Garcia &…

Beautiful Creatures. by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl (edition 2010)

by Kami Garcia

Member:tina1969
Title:Beautiful Creatures. by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Authors:Kami Garcia
Info:Penguin Books (2010), Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

English (332)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (335)
The Characters

Lena and Ethan were great. More than your typical teenagers. There schoolmates, other than Linc, are all boringly and evilly typical. Amma, Uncle Macon, "The Sisters" were all great. This book has a very large cast but everyone plays their part to perfection.

The Story

It's hard for me to break it down in a quick and easy manner so I won't bother (yeah, I'm lazy like that), so I'll just say it was kinda complicated and pretty amazing.

Randoms

I'm so glad I decided to listen to this. When I tried to read it it was slow goings and I could still feel that while listening but something about the narrators voice kept me listening.

4 Stars
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Oh my!

I SUUUUPER L-O-V-E this booooook! I love Lena and Ethan and Ridley and Link and Uncle Macon and Boo Radley and Amma and Marian and EVERYONE!!!!
I love the story! No boring part Ehrmegherd I love this. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, it was mysterious, magical, and just amazing in general. I feel like the romance in the book was a big part of the plot, but I really liked the connection between the two. They help build each other, as the plot becomes more climatic, Ethan and Lena's relationship faces so many challenges. I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys magic, witches (casters as said in the book), history, and sacred prophecies with some romance. ( )
  MarleneSanchez | Apr 1, 2015 |
Not since Anne of Green Gables has a book that I enjoyed annoyed me so much. So pro and con is the only way to handle this:

Pro - it's a really good and interesting story.
Con - because it follows so many tried and true (i.e. cliched) young adult fantasy tropes.

Pro - the world is pretty detailed with histories and a multitude of characters
Con - this can make it hard to remember a lot of who's who and what's what

Pro - the setting is fairly unique from what I've seen of young adult literature
Con - Southern accents (don't know if this shows through with a print version, but the audiobook was...shoot me now)

My first con was the biggest issue for me. It follows the well established pattern of:
-Protagonist lives ordinary, mundane, boring life
-Mysterious and interesting new person shows up at school
-Protagonist and new person begin a buildup of trust
-Said trust alienates protagonist from the rest of the hum-drum community
-Protagonist and new person fall in love
-Protagonist learns about how truly "unique and special" new person is
-Protagonist is the only one who can save new person from some life difficulty
-Because it's "true love"

Also, this book did nothing to disabuse us of the stereotype of ignorant, Civil War-idolizing Southern hick. It also fell into the cliche of dumb jocks and bimbo cheerleaders. Thankfully, no other clique-tropes were highlighted. ( )
1 vote benuathanasia | Mar 3, 2015 |
I have to say, when it came to Beautiful Creatures I was sorely disappointed. I didn’t know what to expect going into it because I had read both seething reviews and reviews that went on and on about how absolutely wonderful it was. Let’s just say that is was far from wonderful.

If you have read this book, I know that I should have seen the warning signs for yet another Twilight-esque dull paranormal romance. First of all, the full list of clichés are present including…..
✓ small town no one has heard of
✓ new girl/boy in town
✓ couple is shunned and/or avoided by everyone
✓ “there’s just something about him/her that draws [the protagonist] towards him/her”
✓ two teenagers claiming to be in eternal love.

So after seeing these warning signs why didn’t I run for the hills? In all honesty I had hoped that it would be good. But if I’m being COMPLETELY honest a big reason was that the movie trailer looked half decent because ….. drumroll please!…. JERMEY IRONS was in it! (if you couldn’t tell by that dramatic reveal, I LOVE Jeremy Irons.)

On a more minor note, one of the reviews on the actual book claims that the narrator has a “wry narrative voice [that] will resonate with readers of John Green”. Ooh! Ooh! I am a reader on John Green! I’m actually a huge fan of his vlogs and of his books. I find him extremely witty, clever and entertaining to listen to. So this review made the book sound promising to me. But man, oh man, that is not even remotely true. Whoever wrote that review probably never picked up a John Green book in their life because I don’t know who Ethan Wate sounds like, but it certainly isn’t John Green.

More reasons for my disappointment? Well, nothing really happened. I found it very uninteresting and it could have been done so much better. It had an alright premise with witches and a curse from the days of the Civil war and all that jazz. Sounds like it could be good right? And it could have been, but the plot and characters were so simple and undeveloped that it didn’t satisfy.

Not to mention the fact that the narrator, who is supposed to be a teenage boy, was not a believable one at all. I just didn’t buy it. It was a far cry from Libba Bray’s Cameron in Going Bovine, who I totally bought as a teenage boy. (Props on that one Libba Bray!)

Also, I found that the story being told through his eyes kinda killed the romance for me because I didn’t buy him as a narrator. The whole romance in general wasn’t satisfying to me, and I’m not really 100% sure why. It just didn’t give me those butterflies! That’s pretty important to me if I’m reading a supposed romance. I wants ta feel them butterflies!

Finally, you know how the first book in a series will end with the implication that there will be another book, but at the same time the reader gets a satisfying ending to the plot that took place in the book? You know what I’m talking about? I mean Harry’s first year at Hogwarts coming to a close after he successfully thwarts Voldemort’s scheme to achieve eternal life. I’m talking Katniss and Peeta surviving the Hunger Games and The Thanksgiving Battle in the FAYZ being over, but knowing that their hardships are only beginning. In Beautiful Creatures that doesn’t happen! Sure it ends, but there was no clean ending to an initial plot. The problem literally just gets pushed back another year. COME ON. I just read 600 pages waiting to see how they are going to solve their big problem of “we have to save Lena from going to the dark side!” and get NO RESOLVED ENDING? It was ALL FOR NAUGHT? Man, that kinda bugged me.

Anyway, I gave it two stars instead of one because, in spite of being an extremely long book in which little happens, I found it very readable and that kept it from being completely and utterly boring. Like the stars say, s’alright but I’m pretty sure I’m not going to continue the series. I really have no desire to find out what happens, and if I find myself wondering whatever happened to Ethan and Lena, I will probably just read the Wikipedia plot summary. It’s probably somewhat more well written than the book would be. Ouch…. okay that was kinda harsh, but seriously it wasn’t all that great! ( )
  ceecee83 | Feb 28, 2015 |
The intensity of Ethan and Lena's need to be together is palpable, the detailed descriptions create a vivid, authentic world, and the allure of this story is the power of love. The satisfying conclusion is sure to lead directly into a sequel. Give this to fans of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" (Little, Brown, 2005) or HBO's "True Blood" series and they will devour all 600-plus pages of this teen Gothic romance.

The 600-plus pages could have been cut to make a tighter, better story. Despite the bulk, there’s plenty teens will like: romance, magic, hauntings, and the promise of more to come.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clark, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.

Martin Luther King Jr.
For
Nick & Stella
Emma, May & Kate
and
all our casters & outcasters, everywhere.
There are more of us than you think.
There were only two kinds of people in our town. "The stupid and the stuck," my father had affectionately classified our neighbors.
Sixteen moons, sixteen years                                 Sixteen of your deepest fears                                 Sixteen times you dreamed my tears                       Falling, falling through the years...
Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est.
Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!                     Sanguis sanguinis mei, tutela tua est!                     Blood of my blood, protection is thine!
Cruor pectoris mei, tutela tua est!                           Blood of my heart, protection is thine!
CRUOR PECTORIS MEI, TUTELA TUA EST.                VITA VITAE MEAE, CORRIPIENS TUAM, CORRIPIENS MEAM.                                                                 CORPUS CORPORIS MEI, MEDULLA MENSQUE, ANIMA ANIMAE MEAE, ANIMAM NOSTRAM CONECTE.                                                            CRUOR PECTORIS MEI, LUNA MEA, AESTUS MEUS.   CROUR PECTORIS MEI. FATUM MEUM, MEA SALUS.

This book is told in a boy, Ethan Wate's, POV. He lives in a town, Gatlin, where nothing happens and nobody is different.
Ethan has been having these dreams about losing a girl who he thinks he is falling in love with. Which is crazy because he only knows her through a dream and she is probably not even real. Then suddenly a girl who is the town shut-in's niece moves to Gatlin and dares to be different. Her and Ethan seem to have an odd connection. This book is amazing and filled with adventure, suspense, and romance. It also has a lot of references to the book To Kill a Mockingbird.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316042676, Hardcover)

Ethan Wate is struggling to hide his apathy for his high school "in" crowd in small town Gatlin, South Carolina, until he meets the determinedly "out" Lena Duchannes, the girl of his dreams (literally--she has been in his nightmares for months). What follows is a smart, modern fantasy--a tale of star-crossed lovers and a dark, dangerous secret. Beautiful Creatures is a delicious southern Gothic that charms you from the first page, drawing you into a dark world of magic and mystery until you emerge gasping and blinking, wondering what happened to the last few hours (and how many more you're willing to give up). To tell too much of the plot would spoil the thrill of discovery, and believe me, you will want to uncover the secrets of this richly imagined dark fantasy on your own. --Daphne Durham

Amazon Exclusive Interview with Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Authors of Beautiful Creatures

What does your writing process look like? Is it tough to write a book together? Did you ever have any knock-down drag-out fights over a plot point or character trait?

Margie: The best way to describe our writing process is like a running stitch. We don't write separate chapters, or characters. We pass the draft back and forth constantly, and we actually write over each other's work, until we get to the point where we truly don't know who has written what.

Kami: By the end of the book, we don't even know. The classic example is when I said, "Marg, I really hate that line. It has to go." And she said, "Cut it. You wrote it."

Margie: I think we were friends for so long before we were writing partners that there was an unusual amount of trust from the start.

Kami: It's about respect. And it helps that we can't remember when who wrote the bad line.

Margie: We save our big fights for the important things, like the lack of ice in my house or how cold our office is. And why none of my YouTube videos are as popular as the one of Kami's three-fingered typing…okay, that one is understandable, given the page count for "Beautiful Creatures."

Kami: What can I say? I was saving the other seven fingers for the sequel.

What kinds of books do you like to read?

Kami: I read almost exclusively Young Adult fiction, with some Middle Grade fiction thrown in for good measure. As a Reading Specialist, I work with children and teens in grades K-12, so basically I read what they read.

Margie: When I write it comes from the same place as when I read: wanting to hang out with fictional characters in fictional worlds. I identify more as a reader than a writer; I just have to write it first so I can read it.

What books/authors have inspired you?

Kami: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "A Good Man is Hard to Find & Other Stories" by Flannery O'Connor, "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. I also love Pablo Neruda.

Margie: I think Harper Lee is the greatest writer alive today. Eudora Welty is my other Southern writer kindred; I was obsessed with her in grad school. Susan Cooper and Diana Wynne Jones made me love fantasy, and my favorite poets are Emily Dickinson (at Amherst College, I even lived on her street) and Stevie Smith.

Did you set out to write fiction for young adults? Why?

Kami: We actually wrote "Beautiful Creatures" on a dare from some of the teen readers in our lives.

Margie: Not so much readers as bosses.

Kami: Looking back, we wrote it sort of like the serialized fiction of Charles Dickens, turning in pages to our teen readers every week.

Margie: And by week she means day.

Kami: When we were getting texts in the middle of the night from teens demanding more pages, we knew we had to finish.

Margie: As it says in our acknowledgements, their asking what happened next changed what happened next. Teens are so authentic. That's probably why we love YA. Even when it's fantasy, it's the emotional truth.

A lot of us voracious readers like to cast a book after reading it. Did you guys have a shared view of who your characters are? Did each of you take a different character to develop, or did you share every aspect?

Kami: We've never cast our characters, but we definitely know what they look like. Sometimes we see actors in magazines and say, "Lena just wore that!"

Margie: We create all our characters together, but after a point they became as real as any of the other people we know. We forget they're not.

Kami: I never thought of it like that. I guess we do spend all our time talking about imaginary people. Margie: So long as it's not to them…

Did you always plan to start the book with Ethan's story? Why?

Kami: We knew before we started that we wanted to write from a boy's point of view. Margie and I both have brothers—-six, between us-—so it wasn't a stretch. It's an interesting experience to fall in love with the guy telling the story rather than the guy the story is about.

Margie: We do kind of love Ethan, so we wanted there to be more to him than just the boy from boy meets girl.

Kami: He's the guy who stands by you at all costs and accepts you for who you are, even if you aren't quite sure who that is.

What is on your nightstand now?

Kami: I have a huge stack, but here are ones at the top: "Mama Dip's Kitchen," a cookbook by Mildred Council, "The Demon's Lexicon" by Sarah Rees Brennan, "Shadowed Summer" by Saundra Mitchell, "Rampant" by Diana Peterfreund, and an Advanced Reader Copy of "Sisters Red" by Jackson Pearce.

Margie: I have Robin McKinley's "Beauty," Maggie Stiefvater's "Ballad," Kristen Cashore's "Fire," Libba Bray's "Going Bovine," and "Everything Is Fine" by AnnDee Ellis. And now I'm mad because I know a) Kami stole my "Rampant" and b) didn't tell me she has "Sisters Red"!

What is your idea of comfort reading?

Kami: If given the choice, I'll always reach for a paranormal romance or an urban fantasy. I also re-read my favorite books over and over.

Margie: It's all comfort reading to me. I sleep with books in my bed. Like a dog, only without the shedding and the smelling.

Have you written the next book already? What's next for Lena and Ethan?

Margie: We are revising the next book now. I don't want to give too much away, but summer in Gatlin isn't always a vacation.

Kami: I would describe book two as intense and emotional. For Ethan and Lena, the stakes are even higher.

Margie: That's true. Book two involves true love, broken hearts, the Seventeenth Moon, and cream-of-grief casseroles…

Kami: Gatlin at it's finest!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:00 -0400)

In a small South Carolina town, where it seems little has changed since the Civil War, sixteen-year-old Ethan is powerfully drawn to Lena, a new classmate with whom he shares a psychic connection and whose family hides a dark secret that may be revealed on her sixteenth birthday.… (more)

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141326085, 0141346140

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,743,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible