Horses and the Mystical Path: The Celtic Way…

Horses and the Mystical Path: The Celtic Way of Expanding the Human Soul

by Adele Von Rust McCormick

Much more specifically Christian than I'd anticipated (or Celtic-Christian, I guess). Just going to do some quoting that stood out for me:

"You are like two separate trees whose underground roots are mingling." (part of the Golden Mare Meditation)

"The Celtic warrior was taught always to ride at the center of the wind." (breath-within-the-breath meditation concept...)

"Imagination...is entering the experience and situation of another being without seeking selfish gratification, pleasure, or notoriety. The imagination is the key to a vibrant life" (xii).

"These men and women intentionally befriended the horse to cultivate the human heart and soul, reduce the Ego, and live on the very cusp of the seen and unseen worlds. This adventurous place is the location of divine mystery; both inside and outside us, it's where life is vibrant and created anew" (xiii).

"What we began to observe is that the horse instinctively knows how and when to introduce humans to the unexpected and to the challenges of surprises and new difficulties. The horse becomes not only a soothing friend but a provocative adversary--what Celtic shamans call an 'anam cara,' or 'soul friend,' in Gaelic. It is this combination of soothing our doubts and fears and challenging our entrenched behaviors and beliefs that epitomizes the role of the anam cara" (6).

"In Western culture, the symbolism of the Celtic cross--a cross within a circle--reflects archetypes concerning the threefold nature of the universe, as well as the ensuing cyclical processes that are inherent in the natural order of the Cosmos. The intersecting vertical and horizontal planes of the cross represent ways the invisible world is continually impacting our own lives. The circle represents the regenerative and creative forces that are at work in all of life, forces that are eternal, natural, and cyclical. What begins ends and begins and ends again. Even the cyclical turns out to be an aspect of the eternal" (125). ( )
  beaujoe | May 25, 2009 |

On a trip to Scotland, the psychotherapist family team of Adele, Deborah, and Thomas McCormick - pioneers in the psychotherapeutic use of horses - discovered that early Celtic mysticism held important insights into an equestrian-partnered spirituality. The McCormicks show how to integrate this spirituality with psychology, forming a new, powerful form of healing. Horses and the Mystical Path recounts their memorable journey and the lessons they learned from their amazing equine guides.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible