Alton Locke by Charles Kingsley

Alton Locke

by Charles Kingsley

Theme: a young artist born to enslaved working class breaks through, maturing and learning true meaning of freedom-482?
Character development par excellence (Alton Locke)
An older woman (Elanor) befriends him (as a patron-friend, with rebuke), but he was too foolish to notice, esp since he was infatuated with a younger, beautiful shallow woman (Lillian), until he matured 402, 443, 464
Notable characters
Political climax 450
In Christ 454!
  keithhamblen | Jun 13, 2016 |
3639. Alton Locke Tailor and Poet An Autobiography Volume I, by Charles Kingsley (read 23 Oct 2002) When I read Kingsley's Westward Ho! (on Mar 25, 1963) I disliked the author so I resolved never to read anything more by him. But when I read Mrs. Gaskell's Mary Barton recently the introduction mentioned Kingsley's first novel and implied it was worth reading. The novel tells of a very poor boy and the awful conditions in which he lives and works. This volume was slow-moving and not very interesting and the entirely gratuitous anti-Catholic bigotry which Kingsley displayed frequently is annoying.

3640. Alton Locke Tailor and Poet An Autobiography Volume II, by Charles Kingsley (read 25 Oct2002) Since I finish what I start, ordinarily, I read volume two. This is a pitifully poor work, and a chore to read. Alton Locke dies at the end of the book. I can detect no merit in the novel, and I suppose no one but someone doing a study of Kingsley ever reads it today. Except me. (: ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 17, 2007 |

Charles Kingsleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lodge, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Thal, HerbertEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192816330, Paperback)

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally important and have elected to bring the book back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

1 wanted2 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible