Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones

Enchanted Glass (edition 2010)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Member:ccgraham
Title:Enchanted Glass
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Info:Greenwillow Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Similar tone and worldbuilding

English (46)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (48)
I would like a ten-book series, please and thank you. Grown-up Aidan stories 2k15! Aidan solves crimes for Faerie! Aidan learns deep complex magical spells to perfect apple pie! I DON'T CARE. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
On the death of his grandfather, Andrew leaves his professorship to run the family home...and the accompanying magical estate. As he grows used to his new responsibilities, he remembers more and more of what his grandfather taught him about magic, and he starts noticing encroachment on his magical lands. Andrew tries to beat back the fairies' slow invasion with the (sometimes inadvertent) help of his fellow villagers.

This is a lovely book, and I absolutely love the way the village, Melstone House, and magic are described. Andrew has a way of thinking about reality as a mere option that I really enjoy. The whole story is a wonderful mix of woodsy magic and old timey village life, with thoughtful and determined main characters I liked as people. I would have adored this book completely, save for two quibbles: 1, I didn't buy the romance between Andrew and Stashe. It seems like they've only known each other for a few weeks before he asks her to marry him, and they never went on dates or really seemed to interact beforehand. The whole thing seemed to come out of nowhere. 2, I didn't like the final twist that Aidan wasn't Oberon's son at all, but Andrew's grandfather's. I quite liked the idea of a half-human boy playing football with the local lads, and I heartily dislike the idea that Aidan's parents are instead an old man and his teenaged distant relation. She was just a teenager in trouble with drugs and drinking when she was sent to stay with him for safety, and for all Oberon claims "The girl Melanie almost certainly threw herself at your grandfather, just as she threw herself at me," the whole situation seems deeply gross and troubling. Whereas it seems like I'm supposed to think it's cozy because it means Aidan and Andrew are more closely related. Ugh. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Perfectly good late-period, stand alone, Diana Wynne Jones. Allusions to the faeries of Shakespeare, a mythical Englishness, humor arising from chaos. Since it is late-period the internet and girls playing pick-up soccer make an appearance while teenage pregnancy is mentioned.

Fun if you like that kind of thing, and not much fun if you don't. ( )
  themulhern | Feb 28, 2016 |
Loved this book, but found the ending to be rather abrupt. I don't know if there's supposed to be a sequel, or what, but it just kind of left you hanging, and there was a lot unexplained about the "enchanted glass" No explanation of how the magic works, and bits and pieces of unexplained things. And also, the implication that the grandfather is the boys father... no... that would not be right.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorman, BrandonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Farah, Charlie, Sharyn and all who attended the Diana Wynne Jones conference without me.
When Jocelyn Brandon died - at a great old age, as magicians tend to do - he left his house and his field-of-care to his grandson, Andrew Brandon Hope.

"As a boy, he had spent fascinated hours looking at the garden through each differently coloured pane. Depending, you got a rose pink sunset garden, hushed and windless; a stormy orange garden, where it was suddenly autumn; a tropical green garden, where there seemed likely to be parrots and monkeys any second. And so on. As an adult now, Andrew valued that glass even more. Magic apart, it was old old old. The glass had all sorts of internal wrinkles and trapped bubbles, and the long-dead maker had somehow managed to make the colours both intense and misty at once."

When the magician Jocelyn Brandon Hope died he bequeathed Melstone House to his grandson Andrew. He also left his ‘field of care’: an area of strangeness surrounding the land around the house, whose boundary Andrew must walk in order to preserve its power.

Andrew had always loved the house, but he finds owning it a lot more complicated, aside from all the magic. There is Mrs Stock, the tyrannical housekeeper who won’t let him move the furniture and punishes him with her terrible cooking. Just as bad is the obsessive gardener who will only grow giant inedible vegetables. To add to his troubles, twelve year old orphan Aidan Cain suddenly arrives on the doorstep begging protection from magical stalkers, and Andrew’s sinister rich neighbour, Mr Brown, begins to encroach on the ‘field of care’. The one compensation is the gardener’s beautiful niece, Stashe. Things become stranger and stranger until all is made clear with the help of the enchanted glass itself.

After his grandfather dies, Andrew Hope inherits a house and surrounding land in an English village, but things become very complicated when young orphan Aidan shows up and suddenly a host of variously magical townsfolk and interlopers start intruding on their lives.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,830,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible