D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony…

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Antony Beevor

Member:tony100
Title:D-Day: The Battle for Normandy
Authors:Antony Beevor
Info:Penguin Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 608 pages

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor (2009)

English (18)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  English (24)
Excellent book with very good narration. Good insights into the casualties and destruction for the citizens of Normandy. They paid a horrific price, particularly in the Caen area for Montgomery's dilatory attitude and execution during this campaign. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 11, 2016 |
  jamespurcell | Apr 3, 2016 |
Wow! This was a long hard read. Not because the writing or the language was difficult, they were, in fact a model of clarity. Beevor has the gift of melding the general story with minute personal details, some humorous, some deeply moving. The exceptional quality of the writing made me want to read every word and this, coupled with a frequent need to refer to the maps to understand who was doing what when to who explains the length of time I spent on this book. It is essentially a story of sacrifice, of young servicemen and of civilians. He uses the phrase "the martyrdom of Normandy" and made me realise the scale of it. I had some idea from my visit to the wonderful Memorial museum near Caen where that city's devastation made starkly clear, but this book points up the scale of the sacrifice made by the people of Normandy.
One of the reasons I added it to my to-read list was that I read a great book earlier this year about Operation Fortitude, the great deception about the site and timing of the invasion. This book tells us how successful that deception was, even after D-Day itself. Just to extend the links I was led to the aforesaid book by the Connie Willis epic double volumes of "Blackout" and "All Clear" ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
One of the surprises for me here is something you rarely read about: how many American and British troops died from friendly fire. In an operation this huge, really unfortunate mistakes are made. ( )
  nog | Oct 26, 2015 |
""
  rouzejp | Sep 2, 2015 |
This is a superb book and a model of the historian’s craft. It stands as the best one-volume history of this decisive military engagement.

Antony Beevor's impeccable attention to detail ensures that the horrors of the Normandy invasion are brought vividly to life..

All this was 65 years ago. The scars of Normandy have healed surprisingly quickly. Beevor’s book superbly brings the events of that summer to life again and reminds us of why we should never allow ourselves to forget them.

Beevor, Antonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Miles, my oldest friend
Southwick House is a large Regency building with a stucco façade and a colonnaded front.
Next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle gained. (Duke of Wellington, p. 522)

From critically acclaimed world historian, Antony Beevor, this is the first major account in more than twenty years to cover the whole invasion from June 6, 1944, right up to the liberation of Paris on August 25. It is the first book to describe not only the experiences of the American, British, Canadian, and German soldiers, but also the terrible suffering of the French caught up in the fighting.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,640,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible