dismiss

Stop The Traffik: People Shouldn't Be…

Stop The Traffik: People Shouldn't Be Bought & Sold (edition 2009)

by Steve Chalke (Author)

Human trafficking is the fastest growing global crime and is now the second largest after the illegal arms trade. It involves the movement of people, against their will, through violence, deception or coercion for the purpose of sex, forced labour or even body parts. Men, women and children are all victims of trafficking; although approximately 80% are women and girls and up to 50% are children. The book contains real-life stories, photographs, and practical action points, divided into 6 sections: STOP: The right to freedom, LOOK: Trafficking is on your doorstep, THINK: Attitudes and awareness, BUY: The power of the consumer, ACT: Join the movement, START: Resources to get you started.… (more)
Member:Michael_Mason1979
Title:Stop The Traffik: People Shouldn't Be Bought & Sold
Authors:Steve Chalke (Author)
Info:Lion Books (2009), 160 pages

Stop the Traffik: People Shouldn't Be Bought & Sold by Steve Chalke

If you’ve been tuned into the rising tide of social awareness about the ongoing issue of modern human slavery and want to know more, Stop the Traffik is filled with facts, statistics, and personal stories that cast a portrait of the slavery situation around the world.

However, Stop the Traffik doesn’t seem as reader-friendly as other titles I’ve read on human trafficking (though it is a good, comprehensive overview.) The bold black and white design often includes large sections of white text planted on black backgrounds, and the layout is more reminiscent of a high-school textbook, with short snippets of information and facts rather than longer stretches of narrative. It’s a presentation style that I’m not entirely keen on, though I do appreciate the subject matter deeply.

Chalke methodically covers the main areas of trafficking: the problem of modern trafficking, the particular vulnerability of women, the signs of trafficking and how to be aware of it even domestically, factors that make individuals vulnerable to being trafficked, how consumer purchasing decisions can be used as a force for change (fair trade products etc.), and other actions that individuals can take in the fight against trafficking.

Human trafficking can seem like such an overwhelming issue when it is first understood. The sheer magnitude in numbers of victims, the world-wide geographic scope of the crime….but yes, individuals can make a difference by partnering with regional and international organizations that are banding together to apprehend traffickers. Many of the first-person portraits included in Stop the Traffik come from victims who have been freed from lives of economic and sexual slavery. It is possible to make a difference; it is necessary to make a difference.

Reviewed at quiverfullfamily.com ( )
  jenniferbogart | Sep 21, 2010 |
Heavy, heavy read. Incorporates first hand accounts of modern day slaves with facts and ways to join the fight. Its a very eye-opening book into the dark underworld that too many of us are ignorant about. Slavery is more prevalent and dangerous today than ever, yet few of us know it. This book will educate you and move you to think and act.

This books is mainly written by and for those in the UK, although much of the info is useful for the rest of us, too. Just know that some of the contacts are not available in the US. ( )
  AspiringAshley | Dec 27, 2009 |
I wanted to read this book, because I felt I should read this book. I can say that this was not an enjoyable read. It was disturbing, sad, and it hurt my heart. Though it was not an enjoyable read, I can say it was a must read. Stop Traffik awakens the mind with what is going on all over this world. There are millions of people out there who are being forced into slave labor in some of the most horrid and perverted sense of the word. Stop Traffik will give you the facts and put in your face real stories of the damage that is done in this world where man still believes they have the right to buy and sell and enslave others for profit. It is a tale of the hopeless who are doing all they can for hope and getting tricked into degrading circumstances. But there is hope and there is help, but we all need to do our part. We all need to see with our eyes what is out there and not just assume all is well in the world if it is well with us. We can put pressure on the higher powers that have turned a blind eye to the issue of human trafficking. If this was happening to someone you loved, if it was happening to you, what would you hope that someone would do? Page 152 of this book gives you ways to get started in helping eliminate this crime against humanity. You can also get information on their website www.stopthetraffik.org ( )
  KellyBlackwell | May 2, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,275,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible