Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

Bet Me (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jennifer Crusie

Member:katiegorman
Title:Bet Me
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (2004)

English (104)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (109)
Cute story, it kind of reminds me of the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

Min gets dumped by her boyfriend David while at a bar with friends. Cal is also there that night with his friends. David is a jerk who happens to know Cal and he makes a bet about picking Min up. Cal agrees to a more innocent version of the bet, he agrees to bet $10 on getting Min to go to dinner with him.

Min is three weeks away from her little sister's wedding. She has no date and she could definitely use this situation to her advantage if she wanted to.

As different as they are, and as much as they try to fight their attraction to each other, they can't resist falling for each other. But there is the secret of the bet and the devious exes trying to pull them apart.

I thought Cal and Min were both very likable characters who you root for. And Cal has some pretty awesome lines about how Min should love herself just the way she is (no matter what her mother has to say about it!).

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
It was definitely funny, though that made it feel slightly more unrealistic - everything every character ever said is clever and witty? Stretches my willingness to suspend disbelief. But made me chuckle. I liked the chubby heroine but she had more of a wry humor thing than an insecurity thing going on, so it nixed a lot of the potential angst. Basically, chick lit is not for me. Now I know. (2.5 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Bet Me tells the story of Min Dobbs and Calvin Morrisey. What do you do when the man of your dreams is not the man of your dreams at all? What do you do if you learn that he only went out with you to win a bet, and has a hit-and-run history of girlfriends? Hilarity, wonderful shoes, and fairy tale romance all mix with families-from-hell and ill-chosen diets in this Crusie book.

Bet Me was a bit of a refreshing read, as it takes on the self-conscious challenge of being a zaftig girl in a world that isn't quite fond of people of that shape. Furthermore, it detailed the funny parts of beginning courtship, poked fun at the psychology profession, and the different sorts of lifestyles that people choose to live with.

Oh, yes: it also highlighted the genius that is Elvis Presley and Elvis Costello.

All in all? Great fun. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I don't re-read very often because I just don't have the time, but I just finished re-reading this because I had recommended it to a friend and wanted to make sure it was the satisfying, swoon-worthy, Happy Ever After read that I remembered. It was. And I honestly think I love it even more this time around. There aren't a lot of books where the fat woman gets her prince without having to lose weight or him having a fat fetish. Cal does feed Min, that's true. However, it's because he enjoys seeing the look on her face when she allows herself to enjoy foods she's been denying herself—like bread and olive oil and donuts—because her mother has conditioned her into believing that she should be thin. This book just makes me happy, down to my (sadly unpainted) toes and I'm going to be coming down from that book drunk all day. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
This book was a solid 4 stars throughout its first half. Watching the reluctant main characters build their relationships despite their best efforts was very amusing and original.
However, at some point I felt the story was starting to feel repetitive and slow, and it took forever to reach the ending it needed. ( )
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |

Hurst, DeannaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kornbichler, Evasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perković, MihaelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Women's total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage.
- Gloria Steinem
For Monica Pradhan McLean
Because her price is above rubies
Which she knows how to invest,
And because every book she writes
is a diamond
Once upon a time, Minerva Dobbs thought as she stood in the middle of a loud yuppie bar, the world was full of good men.
"Good. Oral I'm good at." The silence stretched out until he said, "I didn't mean that the way it came out."

Minerva Dobbs knows how to work the odds.
Calvin Morrisey always plays to win.

But when they face off, neither one is prepared.
Because when real life meets true love, all bets are off. . . .

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet, even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs, even if she does wear great shoes and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all---true love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312987854, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: small city in Ohio

Thirty-three-year-old Minerva Dobbs is annoyed when her current boyfriend dumps her three weeks before her sisters' wedding. But she's downright furious a few moments later when she overhears her now "ex" boyfriend bet hunky Calvin Morrisey that he can't take her home and bed her. In fact, she's so angry at them both that she lets Cal take her to dinner and decides to string him along until after her sisters' wedding. Minerva pegs Cal as a handsome "used car salesman of seducers." Cal thinks Minerva is a "cranky, starving, risk-averse statistician." But Minerva's hormones keep whispering "this one," although she knows the gorgeous Cal isn't the man for her practical, white-cotton-bra, several-pounds-over-thin, self. And Cal is blindsided by the lust he feels for the voluptuous, sensual woman he glimpses behind Min's actuary exterior. While Cal and Min struggle to deal with their mutual distrust and attraction, their friends and families try their best to interfere and direct the progression of the unlikely romantic connection.

Bet Me is unabashedly, irrepressibly romantic. In the wacky, wonderful world of Min and Cal, author Jennifer Crusie leaves no humorous situation unexplored--no potential comedic cauldron left unstirred--no hysterically funny complication left undeveloped. The reader is treated to a seemingly mismatched hero and heroine who fling caution to the winds to explore their unexpected attraction. The sexual tension is hot, the dialogue witty and wickedly sarcastic, and the supporting cast of secondary characters hilarious. Like Min's favorite Krispy Kreme donuts, this novel is rich and sinfully delicious. Indulge. Enjoy. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

Agreeing not to pursue a relationship after one date, unlikely lovers Min Dobbs and Cal Morrisey are thrown together again in the wake of such factors as a jealous ex-boyfriend, a determined psychologist, and a bizarrely intelligent cat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,408,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible