Bet me by Jennifer Crusie

Bet me (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jennifer Crusie

Member:nobobno
Title:Bet me
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, 2004.

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (2004)

English (100)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (106)
I'm in a chick-lit sort of mood so this seemed the perfect time to re-read some Jennifer Crusie and review some books from my pre-online days.

Bet Me probably wouldn't make my top 5 Crusie list, but it's still an entertaining, snarky, fast-paced read with great characters, loads of sexual tension and some steamy but not overly-graphic sex scenes.

As the title gives away, a bet is the significant plot point of this book. The MC, Minerva, is the curvy daughter of a stick-straight, insecure, diet-obsessed woman who is always telling her she's fat. I don't know if she's actually fat or not; the author never talks about measurements, weight or clothing sizes. From Calvin's descriptions though, it seems to me she's not actually fat, just voluptuously proportioned. Either way, it has a significant affect on Min's view of her own self-worth. The level of snark and sarcasm keeps things from feeling too angsty or melodramatic.

Min's dumped by her angry boyfriend because she won't put out, and for reasons that are never explained, he really dislikes Calvin, who is gorgeous and gets whatever and whomever he sets his sights on, so that same night he tries to bet Calvin that Calvin can't get Min into bed in one month's time. Min overhears the bet, and well, Crusie isn't re-inventing the romance here, so the reader can expect to see what's coming. But she makes it fun to read about all the same. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 27, 2016 |
An entertaining book. If I didn't sleep on it, it would probably be rated higher than I like it before I started thinking about its issues.

As usual, there are things that are great and those that are not. Before anything else, this will end up in I like it category because it made me laugh more than once. That would be the first good thing about it.
Next, I love that Min is thirty three and she is not skinny. She doesn't get skinny by the end of the book either.
Min enjoys food.
I read this book in one sitting, so that has to count for something too. I wasn't bored.
There is no cheating.
Patchwork cat.
It has a short, wonderful and realistic epilogue. Their families didn't change overnight.

All the good is infused with the things that make me wonder why exactly did I like this.
The great humour is like a bait. It is generous in the beginning, starting to dwindle as the story moves towards the end.

The plot, the story itself, is hardly strong. After being dumped, a woman overhears her ex betting with a guy to sleep with her, decides to have her revenge, and after a while realizes that the guy (Cal) is great. The whole book is about Cal and Min and their friends socializing. I would think that the bet issue would provide a bit more backbone to the story. Then you have an unnecessary side story about Min's sister and her wedding.

A I said, I love that Min is not skinny and doesn't lose weight in the book. However, she needed Cal to see herself as beautiful. The way Min's mother treats her is really annoying. She makes Min feel bad about herself. Every time she enjoys the food, it is followed by thoughts or conversations about her weight.

There is one issue I couldn't believe was mentioned and just plain forgotten. Cal tells Min that he had a sort of an emotional affair with his sister-in-law and that ends with him admitting he was looking for her in other women afterwards. It doesn't matter he tells Min that she is the one or something like that. That was so pointless unless the point was to make readers feel bad. It left a bad taste, because they just changed the topic and Min didn't think about it anymore. It was a what a hell moment for me.

Issues aside, I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for a humorous romance. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Min enjoys food.
There is no cheating.
Patchwork cat.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I love this book so much that I've reread it almost every time I'd had to replace it. It seemed to leap off my bookshelves into the purses of friends. So this time I got it in audio, and found it to be even better!
The six friends and their exes are all single thirty somethings, there are also a couple of siblings, some parents, and a nephew. There is drama with lots more situational and verbal humor. I'll leave the summarizing to the publisher's blurb and skip the spoilers. Just know that this is a really fun pick me up book!
Deanna Hurst gives an excellent audio performance on this one. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 22, 2016 |
zabavna prica sa ljubavnim zapletom... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |

Crusie, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurst, DeannaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alda Delgado, EnriqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bampi-Hautmann, DorisHerausgebersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holst, Lisbetsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kornbichler, Evasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Women's total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage.
- Gloria Steinem
For Monica Pradhan McLean
Because her price is above rubies
Which she knows how to invest,
And because every book she writes
is a diamond
Once upon a time, Minerva Dobbs thought as she stood in the middle of a loud yuppie bar, the world was full of good men.
"Good. Oral I'm good at." The silence stretched out until he said, "I didn't mean that the way it came out."

Minerva Dobbs knows how to work the odds.
Calvin Morrisey always plays to win.

But when they face off, neither one is prepared.
Because when real life meets true love, all bets are off. . . .

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet, even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs, even if she does wear great shoes and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all---true love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312987854, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: small city in Ohio

Thirty-three-year-old Minerva Dobbs is annoyed when her current boyfriend dumps her three weeks before her sisters' wedding. But she's downright furious a few moments later when she overhears her now "ex" boyfriend bet hunky Calvin Morrisey that he can't take her home and bed her. In fact, she's so angry at them both that she lets Cal take her to dinner and decides to string him along until after her sisters' wedding. Minerva pegs Cal as a handsome "used car salesman of seducers." Cal thinks Minerva is a "cranky, starving, risk-averse statistician." But Minerva's hormones keep whispering "this one," although she knows the gorgeous Cal isn't the man for her practical, white-cotton-bra, several-pounds-over-thin, self. And Cal is blindsided by the lust he feels for the voluptuous, sensual woman he glimpses behind Min's actuary exterior. While Cal and Min struggle to deal with their mutual distrust and attraction, their friends and families try their best to interfere and direct the progression of the unlikely romantic connection.

Bet Me is unabashedly, irrepressibly romantic. In the wacky, wonderful world of Min and Cal, author Jennifer Crusie leaves no humorous situation unexplored--no potential comedic cauldron left unstirred--no hysterically funny complication left undeveloped. The reader is treated to a seemingly mismatched hero and heroine who fling caution to the winds to explore their unexpected attraction. The sexual tension is hot, the dialogue witty and wickedly sarcastic, and the supporting cast of secondary characters hilarious. Like Min's favorite Krispy Kreme donuts, this novel is rich and sinfully delicious. Indulge. Enjoy. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

Min Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Cal Morrisey knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again. But Fate has other plans, and it?s not long before Min and Cal are dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kremes, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a mutant cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of including the biggest gamble of all - real love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible