Bet me by Jennifer Crusie

Bet me (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jennifer Crusie

Title:Bet me
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, 2004.

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (2004)

English (95)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (100)
An entertaining book. If I didn't sleep on it, it would probably be rated higher than I like it before I started thinking about its issues.

As usual, there are things that are great and those that are not. Before anything else, this will end up in I like it category because it made me laugh more than once. That would be the first good thing about it.
Next, I love that Min is thirty three and she is not skinny. She doesn't get skinny by the end of the book either.
Min enjoys food.
I read this book in one sitting, so that has to count for something too. I wasn't bored.
There is no cheating.
Patchwork cat.
It has a short, wonderful and realistic epilogue. Their families didn't change overnight.

All the good is infused with the things that make me wonder why exactly did I like this.
The great humour is like a bait. It is generous in the beginning, starting to dwindle as the story moves towards the end.

The plot, the story itself, is hardly strong. After being dumped, a woman overhears her ex betting with a guy to sleep with her, decides to have her revenge, and after a while realizes that the guy (Cal) is great. The whole book is about Cal and Min and their friends socializing. I would think that the bet issue would provide a bit more backbone to the story. Then you have an unnecessary side story about Min's sister and her wedding.

A I said, I love that Min is not skinny and doesn't lose weight in the book. However, she needed Cal to see herself as beautiful. The way Min's mother treats her is really annoying. She makes Min feel bad about herself. Every time she enjoys the food, it is followed by thoughts or conversations about her weight.

There is one issue I couldn't believe was mentioned and just plain forgotten. Cal tells Min that he had a sort of an emotional affair with his sister-in-law and that ends with him admitting he was looking for her in other women afterwards. It doesn't matter he tells Min that she is the one or something like that. That was so pointless unless the point was to make readers feel bad. It left a bad taste, because they just changed the topic and Min didn't think about it anymore. It was a what a hell moment for me.

Issues aside, I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for a humorous romance. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
I loved everything about this book but the last sentence. I really wanted them to have kids because they would really be great parents.
They would never do the mistakes their parents made with them. They would be understanding and loving. And personnally I think it's not happily ever after without kids. I'm going to imagine my own ending then, and make them have two, a boy and a girl :D

Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
I can never go wrong with a Jennifer Crusie book. They are unfailingly good to me.

Min and Cal are so cute. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Mar 15, 2015 |
My first Jennifer Crusie book and this will become a favorite reread chick-lit of mine. You KNOW that boy and girl will get together in the end (so NOT a spoiler), but how they get there is a good story. If you like chick-lit -- or need a touch of romance -- I highly recommend this book. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this romance - it was funny and romantic and well-paced. Both sets of parents were wonderfully appalling and I particularly enjoyed the chapter describing the dinner party with Cal's family. It ended with a bang too. ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 15, 2015 |

Crusie, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurst, DeannaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alda Delgado, EnriqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bampi-Hautmann, DorisHerausgebersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holst, Lisbetsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kornbichler, Evasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Women's total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage.
- Gloria Steinem
For Monica Pradhan McLean
Because her price is above rubies
Which she knows how to invest,
And because every book she writes
is a diamond
Once upon a time, Minerva Dobbs thought as she stood in the middle of a loud yuppie bar, the world was full of good men.
"Good. Oral I'm good at." The silence stretched out until he said, "I didn't mean that the way it came out."

Minerva Dobbs knows how to work the odds.
Calvin Morrisey always plays to win.

But when they face off, neither one is prepared.
Because when real life meets true love, all bets are off. . . .

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet, even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs, even if she does wear great shoes and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all---true love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312987854, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: small city in Ohio

Thirty-three-year-old Minerva Dobbs is annoyed when her current boyfriend dumps her three weeks before her sisters' wedding. But she's downright furious a few moments later when she overhears her now "ex" boyfriend bet hunky Calvin Morrisey that he can't take her home and bed her. In fact, she's so angry at them both that she lets Cal take her to dinner and decides to string him along until after her sisters' wedding. Minerva pegs Cal as a handsome "used car salesman of seducers." Cal thinks Minerva is a "cranky, starving, risk-averse statistician." But Minerva's hormones keep whispering "this one," although she knows the gorgeous Cal isn't the man for her practical, white-cotton-bra, several-pounds-over-thin, self. And Cal is blindsided by the lust he feels for the voluptuous, sensual woman he glimpses behind Min's actuary exterior. While Cal and Min struggle to deal with their mutual distrust and attraction, their friends and families try their best to interfere and direct the progression of the unlikely romantic connection.

Bet Me is unabashedly, irrepressibly romantic. In the wacky, wonderful world of Min and Cal, author Jennifer Crusie leaves no humorous situation unexplored--no potential comedic cauldron left unstirred--no hysterically funny complication left undeveloped. The reader is treated to a seemingly mismatched hero and heroine who fling caution to the winds to explore their unexpected attraction. The sexual tension is hot, the dialogue witty and wickedly sarcastic, and the supporting cast of secondary characters hilarious. Like Min's favorite Krispy Kreme donuts, this novel is rich and sinfully delicious. Indulge. Enjoy. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

Min Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Cal Morrisey knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again. But Fate has other plans, and it?s not long before Min and Cal are dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kremes, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a mutant cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of including the biggest gamble of all - real love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible