Bet me by Jennifer Crusie

Bet me (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jennifer Crusie

2,358932,666 (4)104
Member:nobobno
Title:Bet me
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, 2004.

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (Author) (2004)

2004 (9) 2008 (12) 2010 (10) audiobook (15) chick lit (163) comedy (20) contemporary (82) contemporary romance (97) dating (9) ebook (16) favorites (10) fiction (200) fluff (11) food (11) friendship (12) funny (18) humor (87) humorous (15) Jennifer Crusie (16) Kindle (12) library (11) love (13) novel (16) own (19) read (49) romance (397) romantic comedy (34) shoes (18) to-read (42) unread (11)

English (88)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (93)
I can't get enough of Jennifer Cruise and this is my favorite book ever! ( )
  sfturner | May 12, 2014 |
Eh, I didn't like it as much as Welcome to Temptation. It wasn't very memorable except for the fact that there was a freaky over-fetishization of food. I didn't find it all that entertaining, and if it wasn't for the very long car ride I was on, I might not even have bothered to finish it. I'll pick up another Crusie, but this one just didn't do anything for me. ( )
  SophieCale | Mar 28, 2014 |
My favorite JC so far. I liked the quirky mix of characters and the mix of comedy and feeling, the food, the mangy cat--and of course the (self-conscious) HEA. Reading JC has made me realize how few other books I read that are light-hearted.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I enjoy reading Jennifer Crusie books. Bet Me is one of my favorite from her. I love the humor. I listened to it as an audiobook the 2nd time around and the narrator was great with the voices. ( )
  lana_nix | Oct 8, 2013 |
Amazing book. Seriously amazing.

I love the humor, the banter and the overall storyline. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Kornbichler, Evasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Women's total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage. - Gloria Steinem
For Monica Pradhan McLean
Because her price is above rubies
Which she knows how to invest,
And because every book she writes
is a diamond
Once upon a time, Minerva Dobbs thought as she stood in the middle of a loud yuppie bar, the world was full of good men.
"Good. Oral I'm good at." The silence stretched out until he said, "I didn't mean that the way it came out."

Minerva Dobbs knows how to work the odds.
Calvin Morrisey always plays to win.

But when they face off, neither one is prepared.
Because when real life meets true love, all bets are off. . . .

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet, even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs, even if she does wear great shoes and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all---true love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312987854, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: small city in Ohio

Thirty-three-year-old Minerva Dobbs is annoyed when her current boyfriend dumps her three weeks before her sisters' wedding. But she's downright furious a few moments later when she overhears her now "ex" boyfriend bet hunky Calvin Morrisey that he can't take her home and bed her. In fact, she's so angry at them both that she lets Cal take her to dinner and decides to string him along until after her sisters' wedding. Minerva pegs Cal as a handsome "used car salesman of seducers." Cal thinks Minerva is a "cranky, starving, risk-averse statistician." But Minerva's hormones keep whispering "this one," although she knows the gorgeous Cal isn't the man for her practical, white-cotton-bra, several-pounds-over-thin, self. And Cal is blindsided by the lust he feels for the voluptuous, sensual woman he glimpses behind Min's actuary exterior. While Cal and Min struggle to deal with their mutual distrust and attraction, their friends and families try their best to interfere and direct the progression of the unlikely romantic connection.

Bet Me is unabashedly, irrepressibly romantic. In the wacky, wonderful world of Min and Cal, author Jennifer Crusie leaves no humorous situation unexplored--no potential comedic cauldron left unstirred--no hysterically funny complication left undeveloped. The reader is treated to a seemingly mismatched hero and heroine who fling caution to the winds to explore their unexpected attraction. The sexual tension is hot, the dialogue witty and wickedly sarcastic, and the supporting cast of secondary characters hilarious. Like Min's favorite Krispy Kreme donuts, this novel is rich and sinfully delicious. Indulge. Enjoy. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:28 -0400)

Min Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Cal Morrisey knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again. But Fate has other plans, and it?s not long before Min and Cal are dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kremes, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a mutant cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of including the biggest gamble of all - real love.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible