Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and…

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall (2009)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

English (61)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (67)
This is a collection of five completely independent stories with two common themes: music and a reorientation in the personal outlook. Though each is rather short, all of them manage to give an insight in complex relationships and subtle changes of mood and future developments. Each has a distinctly different setting. A very nice read and a well done audio with a different speaker for each story. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
I don't have much to say about this collection--it didn't put me off of Ishiguro forever, there are quite a few books by him I'm still interested in, I'm just sorry this was my first.

The first story was quite strong, almost a 4 star, but the 2nd story especially was just ugh. I wanted to bleach my brain. I found the characters horribly stupid and selfish and there was no resolution at the end so it left me with a dissatisfied feeling because you don't know what else happens.

The rest of the stories just fell flat and I kept thinking about the next book on my November list. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Jan 11, 2016 |
I guess this wasn't for me. I'm wavering between "just ok" and "forgettable" as my summary. Both descriptions are pretty much apt. The first person narrator in every story seems to be basically the same person (it's not supposed to be.) The best bits were the few moments of French farce type comedy. ( )
  Vivl | Mar 4, 2015 |
When I Google the definition of Nocturne, I find it is “a short composition of a romantic or dreamy character suggestive of night”. This collection of short stories is aptly titled. The stories have a “romantic or dreamy character”, and they capture their subjects at midlife making perhaps their final attempt at realizing the dreams and ambitions of their youth.

Some of the stories are melancholy, while a couple lean more toward farce. Simon Vance seems to channel Basil Fawlty in his reading of “Come Rain or Come Shine”, and that's probably why it ended up being my favorite story in the collection. Kirby Heyborne's reading of “Malvern Hills” brought former teen idol Davy Jones to mind. I think the audio version enhanced my experience with the collection and I would recommend this format to others considering this book. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jan 22, 2015 |
I liked the listening very much, because before each of the five stories started there was music suitable for the story itself and the stories were very interesting. They are all related to each other because the relationship between the protagonists has to do something with music or were unfulfilled. Sometimes they were sad but also full of love for each character. There were also funny moments and situations where I could snort with laughter. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jan 17, 2015 |
Novellen ”Schlagersångaren” är suverän, men även de andra är speciella och mycket läsvärda. Samtliga har temat musik och uppbrott eller slut. En sorgesång över något som människan fabricerat åt helsicke. Musik ur ”Gudfadern” är kongenialt ledmotiv i boken.

Unfortunately for the reader, these stories do not share the exquisite narrative command, the carefully modulated irony or the elliptical subtlety of Mr. Ishiguro’s strongest works like “Remains of the Day” and “Never Let Me Go.” Instead they read like heavy-handed O. Henry-esque exercises; they are psychologically obtuse, clumsily plotted and implausibly contrived.

Ishiguro's battery of talents are applied in Nocturnes to one goal—the scrubbing away of false romance, of clichéd resolutions, in life and in his writing. The result is a pitch-perfect riff on the sheer quirkiness of reality.

Ishiguro, Kazuoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoppe, LincolnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabinovitch, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Deborah Rogers
The morning I spotted Tony Gardner sitting among the tourists, spring was just arriving here in Venice.

In Nocturnes, a sublime story cycle, Kazuo Ishiguro explores ideas of love, music and the passing of time. From the piazzas of Italy to the Malvern Hills, a London flat to the ‘hush-hush floor’ of an exclusive Hollywood hotel, the characters we encounter range from young dreamers to cafe musicians to faded stars, all of them at some moment of reckoning.

Gentle, intimate and witty, this quintet is marked by a haunting theme: the struggle to keep alive a sense of life’s romance, even as one gets older, relationships flounder and youthful hopes recede.

From the award-winning author of Remains of the Day comes an inspired sequence of stories, which is as affecting as it is beautiful.

With the clarity and precision that have become his trademarks, Kazuo Ishiguro interlocks five short pieces of fiction to create a world that resonates with emotion, heartbreak, and humor. Here is a fragile, once famous singer, turning his back on the one thing he loves; a music junky with little else to offer his friends but opinion; a songwriter who inadvertently breaks up a marriage; a jazz musician who thinks the answer to his career lies in changing his physical appearance; and a young cellist whose tutor has devised a remarkable way to foster his talent. For each, music is a central part of their lives and, in one way or another, delivers them to an epiphany.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

One of the most celebrated writers of our time gives us his first cycle of short fiction: five brilliantly etched, interconnected stories in which music is a vivid and essential character.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,047,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible