Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and…

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Kazuo Ishiguro (Author)

One of the most celebrated writers of our time gives us his first cycle of short fiction: five brilliantly etched, interconnected stories in which music is a vivid and essential character.
Member:m_leigh
Title:Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro (Author)
Info:
Rating:***

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro (2009)

English (80)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (89)
A collection of 5 stories called Nocturnes characterized by beautifully lucid prose with well drawn, interesting characters and situations. The stories have a dream like, melancholy tone, although the second story is hilarious, and there are also funny bits in other stories. I found the endings generally had a nebulous, unresolved, unfinished quality that weren’t satisfying, but I suppose might be viewed as realistic. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
This book just flew by. It was so accessible and easy to read, even asI don't much like reading about music in books. (Hmmm... How come I do love Haruki Murakami then??? ;P) Nevertheless, I wanted to try this one. After all, it's not only about music, but also about nightfall and strange chance encounters, and these I like very much in books. Five stories of a transient lightness and bittersweet sadness. ( )
  Yuki_Onna | Aug 17, 2020 |
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I really like Ishiguro's style :) What gets me is that within a few pages, I want to know how the characters in the stories fare; how they will do it from now on. Then he doesn't tell us that :( ( )
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
A truly delightful story. Imagine sipping a cool lager on a sunny afternoon or slipping away on a cloud of your dreams. Japanese storytelling is written in a clear and direct language, so easy to follow and engage with. Locations often range from the atmosphere of cocktail bars to the sleepy world of jazz music. Nocturnes by the wonderful Kazuo Ishiguro has as its theme love and music from the sights and sounds of an always romantic Venice to the picturesque quintessentially English Malvern Hills. It comprises 4 stories, loosely connected, cleverley presented, lovingly told….Highly, highly recommended ( )
  runner56 | Aug 2, 2020 |

I bought this the other day. Nice copy, hard cover, dust-jacket in good nick, a few Swiss francs, no more – everything to make the bookseller in me happy, not to mention the book collector, one being much the same as the other. I had to argue a bit along the way. You’ve read that. Have not. Have too. Have NOT!!! And I was right. Got home, checked shelves, have not read this. NOT NOT NOT. I’m right and you’re wrong, NYAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Last night I opened it - rest here:

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Novellen ”Schlagersångaren” är suverän, men även de andra är speciella och mycket läsvärda. Samtliga har temat musik och uppbrott eller slut. En sorgesång över något som människan fabricerat åt helsicke. Musik ur ”Gudfadern” är kongenialt ledmotiv i boken.

Unfortunately for the reader, these stories do not share the exquisite narrative command, the carefully modulated irony or the elliptical subtlety of Mr. Ishiguro’s strongest works like “Remains of the Day” and “Never Let Me Go.” Instead they read like heavy-handed O. Henry-esque exercises; they are psychologically obtuse, clumsily plotted and implausibly contrived.

Ishiguro's battery of talents are applied in Nocturnes to one goal—the scrubbing away of false romance, of clichéd resolutions, in life and in his writing. The result is a pitch-perfect riff on the sheer quirkiness of reality.

Ishiguro, Kazuoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Rose-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabinovitch, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Deborah Rogers
The morning I spotted Tony Gardner sitting among the tourists, spring was just arriving here in Venice.

In Nocturnes, a sublime story cycle, Kazuo Ishiguro explores ideas of love, music and the passing of time. From the piazzas of Italy to the Malvern Hills, a London flat to the ‘hush-hush floor’ of an exclusive Hollywood hotel, the characters we encounter range from young dreamers to cafe musicians to faded stars, all of them at some moment of reckoning.

Gentle, intimate and witty, this quintet is marked by a haunting theme: the struggle to keep alive a sense of life’s romance, even as one gets older, relationships flounder and youthful hopes recede.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,665,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible