Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and…

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro
Info:Faber and Faber (2009), Edition: Export ed., Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Borrowed
Tags:fiction, short stories, relationships, nostalgia, music, loan, wgs, R14

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro (2009)

Recently added byknotbox, Bostonseanachie, GeetuM, BlueGiraffe, private library, melaptx, lizzier, grapefruit_peel

English (65)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (71)
interesting slices" of life ..."
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
interesting "slices" of life ... ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Okay, I am NOT a short story fan. I always feel unsatisfied with short stories. Just when it is getting interesting, the story is over.

Nocturnes has it's moments. Well-written, weaving an interesting theme of music and important moments in life, of choices made an consequences. For the short length, Mr. Ishiguro provides a good insight into his characters.

But at the end of each story, I kept wanting to know what happened next? Where did Ray end up after saving the marriage of his (not very nice) friends? Did Lindy remarry? Did Gardner make a comeback? Was Tibor a failure or did he just look that way to his old colleagues?

If you like the venue, I think you will really enjoy these stories. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
I sometimes avoid reading modern short stories because so often they seem to come to an abrupt end without any closure. I was not surprised when I encountered that phenomenon within this book. Perhaps I would enjoy those stories more if I had the opportunity to discuss them with someone immediately after reading. I listened to the CD version of the book and enjoyed the interpretations of each of the four readers - Mark Bramhall, Kirby Heyborne, Lincoln Hoppe and Simon Vance. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
Again, good, but not amazing. Is Kazuo Ishiguro just not my type? For some reason I really want to love his stuff, so this thought distresses me. Still going to try out The Remains of the Day, and hope that I like it enough to try out some of the others that look appealing.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Novellen ”Schlagersångaren” är suverän, men även de andra är speciella och mycket läsvärda. Samtliga har temat musik och uppbrott eller slut. En sorgesång över något som människan fabricerat åt helsicke. Musik ur ”Gudfadern” är kongenialt ledmotiv i boken.

Unfortunately for the reader, these stories do not share the exquisite narrative command, the carefully modulated irony or the elliptical subtlety of Mr. Ishiguro’s strongest works like “Remains of the Day” and “Never Let Me Go.” Instead they read like heavy-handed O. Henry-esque exercises; they are psychologically obtuse, clumsily plotted and implausibly contrived.

Ishiguro's battery of talents are applied in Nocturnes to one goal—the scrubbing away of false romance, of clichéd resolutions, in life and in his writing. The result is a pitch-perfect riff on the sheer quirkiness of reality.

Ishiguro, Kazuoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoppe, LincolnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabinovitch, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Deborah Rogers
The morning I spotted Tony Gardner sitting among the tourists, spring was just arriving here in Venice.

In Nocturnes, a sublime story cycle, Kazuo Ishiguro explores ideas of love, music and the passing of time. From the piazzas of Italy to the Malvern Hills, a London flat to the ‘hush-hush floor’ of an exclusive Hollywood hotel, the characters we encounter range from young dreamers to cafe musicians to faded stars, all of them at some moment of reckoning.

Gentle, intimate and witty, this quintet is marked by a haunting theme: the struggle to keep alive a sense of life’s romance, even as one gets older, relationships flounder and youthful hopes recede.

From the award-winning author of Remains of the Day comes an inspired sequence of stories, which is as affecting as it is beautiful.

With the clarity and precision that have become his trademarks, Kazuo Ishiguro interlocks five short pieces of fiction to create a world that resonates with emotion, heartbreak, and humor. Here is a fragile, once famous singer, turning his back on the one thing he loves; a music junky with little else to offer his friends but opinion; a songwriter who inadvertently breaks up a marriage; a jazz musician who thinks the answer to his career lies in changing his physical appearance; and a young cellist whose tutor has devised a remarkable way to foster his talent. For each, music is a central part of their lives and, in one way or another, delivers them to an epiphany.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

One of the most celebrated writers of our time gives us his first cycle of short fiction: five brilliantly etched, interconnected stories in which music is a vivid and essential character.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,853,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible